Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2010 Access Cab "Rear" Speakers

Old 09-14-2010, 01:28 AM   #1
ShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud ofShawnR has much to be proud of
Law Enforcement:
Name: Shawn
ShawnR's Tacoma Gallery
Cool 2010 Access Cab "Rear" Speakers

Hi Guys!
I have followed the site since buying my new Taco in June, and today signed up.
My 2010 access cab does NOT have the rear speakers under the rear side windows. They are now mounted in the ceiling behind the roof panel, with no grills. They sound bad, and the left one is 8 inches from my ear.
I have the subwoofer and 6 CD changer, but no JBL markings on anything.

I don't listen to head-banging music, but man, when you open the windows, max volume is barely audible.

Has anyone modified this crappy speaker system and moved the rears back where they should be? And what size speakers are in the roof?

Aside from the audio, I have to say the TRD traction control and A-Trac are amazing. Its like driving a military tank when you are in the dirt....
Thanks for any and all advice,
ShawnR
Old 09-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
if you're looking for sound quality, get rid of your rear speakers.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
and the HU
Old 09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip
crf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcrf69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
crf69's Tacoma Gallery
welcome by the way......
Old 09-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
HeliFreek is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
HeliFreek's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW.

The rear speakers are the same size as the front tweeters (hardly a tweeter more like a small speaker cone).

I agree ditch the HU. I did and it sounds much better. I didn't have the subwoofer, and I'm not sure how to reconnect it to a different HU. I do remember seeing something burried in the threads about the speaker setup in these trucks. The rear speakers don't bother me too much, I just faded toward the front, but that may reduce your sub volume (not sure how the sub is hooked up).

Good luck.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Science!
AndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shedAndrewFalk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AndrewFalk's Tacoma Gallery
Simply replacing my stock HU with a Pioneer unit easily increased the volume and quality 2 fold...probably more.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Welcome. Search a bit about info on those speakers and what to do.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #8
biasottw is on a distinguished road

biasottw's Tacoma Gallery
ShawnR, Does your rear doors have the speaker mesh on them? I just got the 2010 Access Cab too and mine do not. If they don't are you going to replace the door panels as well or just cut holes in them?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM   #10
Gray Tacoma is on a distinguished road
Marines: USMC Aircraft Crew chief
Gray Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Where exactlly are the rear roof speakers on the 011 access cab? And if disableing them helps ,how would you do that ?
Thanks
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM   #11
kristonex is on a distinguished road

kristonex's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray Tacoma View Post
Where exactlly are the rear roof speakers on the 011 access cab? And if disableing them helps ,how would you do that ?
Thanks
Easiest place is to cut them right behind your HU and just leave them in the headliner.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:58 PM   #12
is_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the rough

is_it_the_shoes's Tacoma Gallery
I dont understand why you would fade them out or cut them. I agree that they suck in the world of rear speakers, but unless they are distoring, I would think that having NO sound coming from the back would be worse.

When I had my stock H.U., I would crank everything up and never hear any distortion.

I have since replaced the H.U., and put in a 10' sub with an amp. Kept the rest of the speakers stock (for now ). After sitting in my trucks for a couple of hours straight, trying different source music (radio, CD, USB Memory/Ipod, and DVD) - each sounding very different and requiring different EQ settings, dont get me started on that, lol - I found that it was better to leave the rears on, rather than fade them out. When I faded them out, I could hear the loss of 'fullness'.

In My Humble Opinion, unless you are getting to the point of distortion, which I dont see how you could do unless you had a HU other than stock(and I have yet to get any distortion from mine), I would leave them alone.

Of course, ultimately it comes down to what you hear and like, everyone is different.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:23 AM   #13
stattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant futurestattonmw has a brilliant future

Name: Statton
stattonmw's Tacoma Gallery
Just purchased a 2011 and will say this first off... I first have added a kenwood dnx8120 ( new head unit ) and that alone did in fact make a huge difference. I next plan on upgrading my fronts and using the rear as filler set at a lower volume. Fingers crossed this will be enough to make me happy coming from an f-250 i think it will. good luck man! If you really want decent rears the best bet is to cut new speakers in to the rear door or buy the older rear door cards for a factory look.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 AM   #14
MountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shedMountainEarth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Bryan
MountainEarth's Tacoma Gallery
Can you use the factory sub with an aftermarket HU?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #15
Retired?
gatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud ofgatlin69 has much to be proud of

Air Force: Retired
Name: Scott
gatlin69's Tacoma Gallery
I had an idea of making speaker boxes that would replace the storage areas under the jump-seats...I think it would work...I even think I would be able to keep the toolkit back there..
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM   #16
jassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura aboutjassco has a spectacular aura about

jassco's Tacoma Gallery
Agree with above to replace HU, but if you live an area where people steal them or want to put that money into speakers like me - keep it and add an amp to it. It's not the best, but far better then stock.

I added a Navone 4 channel LOC to the stock HU and ran it to a small 400W amp under the seat. I completely disconnected the stock rear wires and isolated them with caps and then ran new rear cables. I dremel'd the rear panels and wired the rears up. The 2010 still has the sheet metal cut for rear speakers you just near rear baffles made up.

I bought some speaker grills off amazon for cheap and then traced and screwed into place. The sound is much louder and I even sound deadened the doors. I can hear music at low volume and the doors close like a Caddy now. Replace the front speakers too (baffles required as well).

All in all replace the head unit and see how it sounds, then do everything else in stages until your happy.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:37 PM   #17
is_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the roughis_it_the_shoes is a jewel in the rough

is_it_the_shoes's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
Agree with above to replace HU, but if you live an area where people steal them or want to put that money into speakers like me - keep it and add an amp to it. It's not the best, but far better then stock.

I added a Navone 4 channel LOC to the stock HU and ran it to a small 400W amp under the seat. I completely disconnected the stock rear wires and isolated them with caps and then ran new rear cables. I dremel'd the rear panels and wired the rears up. The 2010 still has the sheet metal cut for rear speakers you just near rear baffles made up.

I bought some speaker grills off amazon for cheap and then traced and screwed into place. The sound is much louder and I even sound deadened the doors. I can hear music at low volume and the doors close like a Caddy now. Replace the front speakers too (baffles required as well).

All in all replace the head unit and see how it sounds, then do everything else in stages until your happy.
Sounds like a good setup, lets see some pics
Old 04-02-2011, 07:41 PM   #18
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I have the most most base audio in mine. No JBL with single disc HU. Volume was terrible. Added an 8" sub and replaced the stock HU and it's made a HUGE difference and it now is good enough for me. The stock HU's seem to be pretty terrible for volume, especially when I was using my ipod in the aux port. I would have to have it max volume and it still wouldn't be that loud.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:36 PM   #20
Lawman92 is on a distinguished road
Lawman92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassco View Post
A dremel is your friend here.
I too am very interested in doing this. I was at Toyota earlier today and found out I can order 2008 rear access cab door panels, which have the stock grills, for $346.00 each. Employee pricing is $236.00 each if you can get the hookup. I have been told that the 2011 Access Cab still has the hole in the door, behind the panel, for a 6.5" speaker. I'm assuming that since everything else is the same, the 2008 panel will lineup and screw down just like my factor 2011 panel.

But, drilling a hole in the door like you would obviously save around $500. But, how did you know where to draw the hole on the door? I'd hate to try and outline the speaker onto the door just to find out that I was 1/2" off to the left or right, and ultimately end up with an oval or something that a grill won't cover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!