1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Access Cab "Rear" Speakers

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ShawnR, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Sep 14, 2010 at 12:28 AM
    ShawnR

ShawnR [OP] Roads?? We don't need no stinkin' roads...

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco TRD OR access cab
    PIAA driving lights,Pioneer AVH-P3300BT stereo with HD radio and Axxess steering wheel control adapter,rearview mirror mod,ReTrax rolling cover,Demello front bumper,WeatherTech,10 inch woofer,500 watt amp,CB in armrest, heated Wet Okole seat covers,Spidertrax spacers, ARB twin compressor,Ikon 10,500lb wireless winch,A-pillar RAM mount,Pull-Pal,electric locking tailgate
    Hi Guys!
    I have followed the site since buying my new Taco in June, and today signed up.
    My 2010 access cab does NOT have the rear speakers under the rear side windows. They are now mounted in the ceiling behind the roof panel, with no grills. They sound bad, and the left one is 8 inches from my ear.
    I have the subwoofer and 6 CD changer, but no JBL markings on anything.

I don't listen to head-banging music, but man, when you open the windows, max volume is barely audible.

Has anyone modified this crappy speaker system and moved the rears back where they should be? And what size speakers are in the roof?

Aside from the audio, I have to say the TRD traction control and A-Trac are amazing. Its like driving a military tank when you are in the dirt....
    Thanks for any and all advice,
    ShawnR

2. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:31 AM
    woodygg

woodygg Well-Known Member

Member:
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    04 DC Tacoma 4x4
    if you're looking for sound quality, get rid of your rear speakers.

3. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    and the HU

4. Sep 15, 2010 at 7:39 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    welcome by the way......

5. Sep 15, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    HeliFreek

HeliFreek Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    None, SOLD, too many problems for a new truck
    Welcome to TW.

The rear speakers are the same size as the front tweeters (hardly a tweeter more like a small speaker cone).

I agree ditch the HU. I did and it sounds much better. I didn't have the subwoofer, and I'm not sure how to reconnect it to a different HU. I do remember seeing something burried in the threads about the speaker setup in these trucks. The rear speakers don't bother me too much, I just faded toward the front, but that may reduce your sub volume (not sure how the sub is hooked up).

Good luck.;)

6. Sep 15, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    AndrewFalk

AndrewFalk Science!

Member:
    The North East
    Vehicle:
    2010 5 speed 5 lug
    :)
    Simply replacing my stock HU with a Pioneer unit easily increased the volume and quality 2 fold...probably more.

7. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM
    biasottw

biasottw Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 V6 6-Speed TRD Offroad
    ShawnR, Does your rear doors have the speaker mesh on them? I just got the 2010 Access Cab too and mine do not. If they don't are you going to replace the door panels as well or just cut holes in them?

8. Sep 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    subscribed

9. Mar 29, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Gray Tacoma

Gray Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    northern West va
    Vehicle:
    11 Access cab-TRD Sport Package Mag.Gray
    Where exactlly are the rear roof speakers on the 011 access cab? And if disableing them helps ,how would you do that ?
    Thanks

10. Mar 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    Easiest place is to cut them right behind your HU and just leave them in the headliner.

11. Apr 1, 2011 at 11:58 AM
    is_it_the_shoes

is_it_the_shoes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4
    I dont understand why you would fade them out or cut them. I agree that they suck in the world of rear speakers, but unless they are distoring, I would think that having NO sound coming from the back would be worse.

When I had my stock H.U., I would crank everything up and never hear any distortion.

I have since replaced the H.U., and put in a 10' sub with an amp. Kept the rest of the speakers stock (for now :D ). After sitting in my trucks for a couple of hours straight, trying different source music (radio, CD, USB Memory/Ipod, and DVD) - each sounding very different and requiring different EQ settings, dont get me started on that, lol - I found that it was better to leave the rears on, rather than fade them out. When I faded them out, I could hear the loss of 'fullness'.

In My Humble Opinion, unless you are getting to the point of distortion, which I dont see how you could do unless you had a HU other than stock(and I have yet to get any distortion from mine), I would leave them alone.

Of course, ultimately it comes down to what you hear and like, everyone is different.

12. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:23 AM
    stattonmw

stattonmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Statton
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Tacoma TRDsport
    5" RCD Lift TOYO ATII Extreame 295/70R18 XD Addict wheels Factory toyota side steps TRD exhaust
    Just purchased a 2011 and will say this first off... I first have added a kenwood dnx8120 ( new head unit ) and that alone did in fact make a huge difference. I next plan on upgrading my fronts and using the rear as filler set at a lower volume. Fingers crossed this will be enough to make me happy coming from an f-250 i think it will. good luck man! If you really want decent rears the best bet is to cut new speakers in to the rear door or buy the older rear door cards for a factory look.

13. Apr 2, 2011 at 12:26 AM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    Can you use the factory sub with an aftermarket HU?

14. Apr 2, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    gatlin69

gatlin69 Retired?

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tampa
    Vehicle:
    4x4
    Nerf bars, bug shield,skid plate, coming soon (hopefully) DVD NAV
    I had an idea of making speaker boxes that would replace the storage areas under the jump-seats...I think it would work...I even think I would be able to keep the toolkit back there..

15. Apr 2, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    Agree with above to replace HU, but if you live an area where people steal them or want to put that money into speakers like me - keep it and add an amp to it. It's not the best, but far better then stock.

I added a Navone 4 channel LOC to the stock HU and ran it to a small 400W amp under the seat. I completely disconnected the stock rear wires and isolated them with caps and then ran new rear cables. I dremel'd the rear panels and wired the rears up. The 2010 still has the sheet metal cut for rear speakers you just near rear baffles made up.

I bought some speaker grills off Amazon for cheap and then traced and screwed into place. The sound is much louder and I even sound deadened the doors. I can hear music at low volume and the doors close like a Caddy now. Replace the front speakers too (baffles required as well).

All in all replace the head unit and see how it sounds, then do everything else in stages until your happy.

16. Apr 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM
    is_it_the_shoes

is_it_the_shoes Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tallahassee
    Vehicle:
    2012 Mini Countryman S ALL4
    Sounds like a good setup, lets see some pics :cookiemonster:

17. Apr 2, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    I have the most most base audio in mine. No JBL with single disc HU. Volume was terrible. Added an 8" sub and replaced the stock HU and it's made a HUGE difference and it now is good enough for me. The stock HU's seem to be pretty terrible for volume, especially when I was using my ipod in the aux port. I would have to have it max volume and it still wouldn't be that loud.

18. Apr 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    A dremel is your friend here.
    IMAG0202_2bfc5793c993961ffcf62db306a8527a5765901b.jpg

TRDSport10 likes this.
  19. Jun 18, 2011 at 5:36 PM
    Lawman92

Lawman92 Active Member

Member:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab Off-Road 4x4
    I too am very interested in doing this. I was at Toyota earlier today and found out I can order 2008 rear access cab door panels, which have the stock grills, for $346.00 each. Employee pricing is $236.00 each if you can get the hookup. I have been told that the 2011 Access Cab still has the hole in the door, behind the panel, for a 6.5" speaker. I'm assuming that since everything else is the same, the 2008 panel will lineup and screw down just like my factor 2011 panel.

But, drilling a hole in the door like you would obviously save around $500. But, how did you know where to draw the hole on the door? I'd hate to try and outline the speaker onto the door just to find out that I was 1/2" off to the left or right, and ultimately end up with an oval or something that a grill won't cover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

20. Jun 19, 2011 at 6:53 PM
    kristonex

kristonex Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland soon to be Denver
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 Access 4x4
    Debadged tailgate - Limo tinted windows - Sockmonkey bed decals - Fully custom upgraded stereo 9 speakers w/custom built subwoofer box 1200 watts total power - swapped white and blue LED gauges - integrated backup camera - removed front mud flaps - All interior lights swapped with LEDS
    Here's what i ended up doing with mine(2010 access) I just finished it a while back. I just mounted the speakers first and drilled a small hole close to where i thought the hole should go for the grill. Put the panel back on to see how close i was then traced and drilled out the rest of it when i was happy with the placement. It's not perfect but i got pretty damn close. There is a hole cut out already behind in the metal part of the door for mounting the speaker. You need adapters for them, they should be the same size as the 2005-09 access cabs but i just made mine. Then i cut the tweeter into the backside pillar with a holesaw so it would point towards the front of the cab for better sound. Then you just have to fish some wires through the door to your amp/HU and your done.

Like i said before just cut out those roof speakers behind your head unit and leave the wires and speakers right where they are. They wouldn't be worth half the headache of replacing them and would still sound like crap.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top