1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

z120bt Bluetooth Mic

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gcancilla, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:34 PM
    gcancilla

gcancilla [OP] Active Member

Member:
    I just installed a z120bt and I love the unit with one exception, the bluetooth. I use bluetooth all the time but for some reason everyone I talk to says it is very unclear. I have the mic run up the passengers side and into the headliner and mounted on top of the rearview mirror. I am wondering if this has anything to do with my mic placement. Does anyone have a z120bt or z110bt and have good call quality with bluetooth? If so where is your mic placed? I am willing to try anything I can here before I return the unit, but bad quality bluetooth is just a non-starter for me.

My 2010 tacoma had factory bluetooth and it was perfect but I swapped the headunit and the pioneer quality is subpar at best.

2. Sep 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    I've usually had pretty good luck with the pioneer bluetooth. I usually mount the mic where the A pillar meets the head liner, try that it might help.

3. Sep 21, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    Thanks I was thinking about moving it to the drivers side a pillar where it meets the headliner to see if that does anything to help.

4. Sep 21, 2010 at 7:34 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    I have been playing around with moving the mic all over the place and it is better getting it off the rearview mirror but I still hear some interference or something every now and again. I ran the bluetooth wire up the A Pillar and it is right next to the GPS antenna, could that cause interference with the bluetooth mic?

Also, my voice sounds muffled and I am not sure why. Any ideas?

5. Sep 21, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    zeuz519

zeuz519 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2004 Red Taco
    I'm new here but where is the factory mic located? I'm planning to install a similar Pioneer NAV this weekend and would like to get it in the right spot as well.

6. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:21 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    Its on top of the rearview mirror which is where I initially located my aftermarket one and the quality was terrible. I am in the process of moving it to see if it is any better elsewhere. The center command console (where the temp is) seems to be the best right now, but no where near stellar by any means.

7. Sep 22, 2010 at 12:26 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    do you have the single or the dual microphone from pioneer?

8. Sep 22, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    I have a single microphone. Are the dual mics better?

Also, someone suggested that I turn the z120bt screen off while talking on the bluetooth and I tried this. It makes almost all of the background noise disappear. Any idea why turning the screen off would fix this and is there a way to permanently fix it so I do not have to turn my screen off every time I get a call?

9. Sep 23, 2010 at 8:00 AM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    The dual mic is much better in my experience, honestly I though that they did away with the single all together, guess not. The reason the back round noise goes away is because you are eliminating the EMI (electro-magnetic interference). As for getting this to go away completely I'm not really sure. I would try calling pioneer tech support. You can also call 1800-tech-car. That's pioneer's installer help line, but they might not help you. You may need to BS them and tell them that you work for a shop, just pick one that's around you that sells pioneer and say you work there....Didn't hear that from me though :anonymous:

10. Sep 23, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    Can you send me a link to the dual mic you are referring to? I may give it a try. I am assuming it is a parrot?

Called tech support, they were unaware of the EMI interference. Go figure. Although they did acknowledge many calls on poor bluetooth quality.

11. Sep 23, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    Does anyone know of a way to use the OEM bluetooth mic with an aftermarket unit? I have the 2010 JBL tacoma that came with bluetooth and it was crystal clear. I am wondering if I can try and use that mic with my pioneer HU and see if it is any better as pioneer is saying the new mics may be too sensitive and thats why it is picking up EMI. I doubt this is the case but want to try it before I spend even more money and buy a new one.

12. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    I tried to find a link for it for you, but couldn't. All of the new pioneer single din radios with BT built in come with them. Maybe call pioneer again and tell them that you want that mic.

13. Sep 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    jm3280

jm3280 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Allentown, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Just out of curiosity what phone are you using with the 120bt?

14. Sep 23, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
    I am primarily using an HTC EVO, but also tried a HTC Incredible and had the same issues.

I spoke to pioneer and the guy did not have a part number but said it was a parrot dual mic. I then called parrot and ordered part # PI020106AA pic here

the price was $5.50 shipped. I was shocked at the price so I figured I would take a shot for that price. These dual mics are supposed to be better so why not. Cant imagine it will be worse than it is now.

15. Sep 23, 2010 at 2:25 PM
    gcancilla

Member:
  16. Sep 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Yup! that's the exact one. Hopefully that helps.

17. Dec 1, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Aalders

Aalders Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    how did this work out for you? i just purchased a z120bt. i also own a EVO... so this is not good news for me right now... hopefully you can help me with your experience on the matter.

thanks

18. Dec 2, 2010 at 6:39 AM
    gcancilla

Member:
    It made no difference at all. The bluetooth on the z120bt is terrible and if you are expcting to use it alot I suggest returning it and getting a different unit, perhaps a kenwood. I have gone round and round with Pioneer and they acknowledge an issue but not to the extent that it really is. Also, they have done nothing to try and fix it.

I have had a lot of headunits with bluetooth over the years and the z120bt is by far the worst. I disabled the BT on the unit and just use my handset for calls now.

The only thing I have done that somewhat helped, and it is not enough for me, is to turn off the screen on the nav during calls as it limits the EMI and reduces the static a bit. Still not great but it may make it atleast usable for you. It was no where near what I needed it to be as I talk to clients on my phone all the time.

How has your quality been?

19. Dec 2, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Aalders

Aalders Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    i bought all my stuff for my new system on black friday and then on sunday i left for a 3 1/2 week trip for work... so im going to be able to install this around xmass. so im not sure if i will be able to bring this back in time. other than bluetooth how do you like your 120bt?

20. Dec 7, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    gcancilla

Member:
    Other than bluetooth it is a solid unit, but to me the poor bluetooth quality makes this unit not worth even considering.

Let me know how your unit install goes and how the BT sounds for you.

Products Discussed in

To Top