Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

2011 JBL Audio system (sub), serious vibrations in cab!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Tacos N Beer
Guns is on a distinguished road

Coast Guard: Gunners Mate
Name: Paul
Guns's Tacoma Gallery
2011 JBL Audio system (sub), serious vibrations in cab!

Recently purchased a 2011 dbl cab (sport) l/b, the JBL system was working great at first. All the door speakers still in good working order...it's the sub that is creating the problem...VIBRATION! I have tried pullin the entire system out, and re-installing but still have the same problem. Have used gaskets to get rid of it but no results.

Anyone have any solutions to this problem?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Mine rattles too. I thought about using dynomat.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Crownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of light
Crownedcustoms's Tacoma Gallery
Is the sub blown? What kind of vibration?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM   #4
Tacos N Beer

Guns's Tacoma Gallery
My roommate has the dynomat, didn't work.????

The sub seems to be in good working condition...pulled it out and checked. I uninstalled the unit that the system came in (unbolted the plastic box with amp) and played the system, no vibration...once the unit is back in place vibration continues.

Would it be worth it to just buy a new sub with custom or fitted box for the truck? I'd hate to do it cause I just got it a month ago, but I don't know how much more of the rattling/vibration I can take!?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
I plan on swapping everything out anyway. I still say the stock sub enclosure should not flimsy plastic.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
Tacos N Beer

Guns's Tacoma Gallery
I'm seriously starting to lean towards it! I think it might just be worth the extra $ instead of the headache!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
T-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shedT-rev is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T-rev's Tacoma Gallery
It's the plastic casing they put the sub in, it makes vibrations just about everywhere. I've taken it to the dealer to have them fix it but it won't go away. The only solution I see is to turn the volume down or get a new sound system.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:49 PM   #8
Banned
The only problem with swapping anything out is the damn JBL amp. I have heard it won't play from the other speakers when you remove the sub. IDK if this is true though.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
Crownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownedcustoms is a glorious beacon of light
i didn't buy the JBL on purpose because i knew i was going to replace everything. Here is the first box i had.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crownedcustoms View Post
i didn't buy the JBL on purpose because i knew i was going to replace everything. Here is the first box i had.
Some of us didn't have a choice. For 2010 in CA I had to get it with the offroad package.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM   #11
This is What i went to from there...
Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
Look around on cardomain.com. Guys have done all kinds of aftermarket boxes that I'm sure won't rattle and drive you crazy.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
Boiling denim and bangin whores
Tacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomanator is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Clam Slammer
Tacomanator's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is What i went to from there...
that has got to be the cleanest set up i've ever seen on a d-cab. NICE!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 PM   #14
Tacos N Beer

Guns's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info Gilbert, much appreciated! How much did a system like that run you (the first and second one), just out of curiosity? I'm not looking to spend a lot of $ but enough to get good quality sound, hold up, and still use the stock door speakers/tweeters!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #15
Panda Jerk
THXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHXEY is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
THXEY's Tacoma Gallery
in case you were wondering.

Aftermarket sound system > "stock" jbl system
Old 09-21-2010, 11:23 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns View Post
Thanks for the info Gilbert, much appreciated! How much did a system like that run you (the first and second one), just out of curiosity? I'm not looking to spend a lot of $ but enough to get good quality sound, hold up, and still use the stock door speakers/tweeters!

I had about 6K in the first one and about 4K more to get it to the second one. I did the install with one of my buddies so I was able to save some money. i have the build on my cardomain page. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2935312/2 I have dynamat on all the doors whats left of the back of the cab and the roof has a layer of Dynamat and Dynaliner foam. Its solid as a rock. You could get something nice done for a lot less if your going to keep all your factory doors and head unit.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 AM   #18
bookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud ofbookmonke has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
bookmonke's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't the sub right over the jack and tools, I would make sure all those are tight or wrapped in foam.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #19
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I think you guys have a hitch in your problem solving system. Right now I'm seeing your thought process as...
  1. Got rattles with the sub
  2. No rattles without the sub.
  3. ???
  4. Must be the sub
  5. Buy a new one
Now, undoubtedly it is the subwoofer causing the rattling just by nature of it being a large speaker producing bass frequencies. But buying a new bigger sub will only make the rattles worse because it will be louder.

You need to find the source of the rattles. Poke your head around back there when it's happening and isolate them. Push on panels and see if you can get them to stop so you know what you're dealing with.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I had about 6K in the first one and about 4K more to get it to the second one.
Damn, what ELSE did you have in there to rack up that much at the register?