Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Minimum Gauge wire required for amp confusion

Old 09-23-2010, 07:12 AM   #1
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
Minimum Gauge wire required for amp confusion

I have been looking at some of the amps @ Sonic Electronics and I'm a bit bothered at some of the minimum gauge required on them, particularly the 4 channel ones made from Maxxsonics (Autotek, Crunch).

On most of the Autotek amps, it is stated that the min. gauge connection wires are to be 4g ... but how would you be able to get a 4g wire on a small connection from the amp?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...k+SM4-800.html

same with this Crunch amp

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...PZT1400.4.html
(not all of the amps have that with Crunch though, at least a couple say that they need 8g which is more believable).

Where as on the Hifonics and MB Quart amps, they have the connections that will allow for a 4g wire.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+HFi100.4.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...t+DSC+450.html

why is this? is that true? if so how would you be able to get a 4g. on a small connection like that of the Autotek/Crunch amps? I have seen some of the gauge wire adapters on SE but they seem to be for the fuse holder/fuse dist. blocks/dist. blocks.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #3
Trog2233 is on a distinguished road
Trog2233's Tacoma Gallery
There is no point in running 4ga in less your running more than one amp. Those amps you listed only have 8ga connections and dont try to fit a 4ga in those. Overall....if you have one amp just run 8ga but if your running 2 or more amps then run 4 ga with a distribution block.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
so the specs that are listed as using a min. of 4g wire is false on those amps? As of now I am running one, will be putting in another (4 channel sometime soon) in but it will be later.

According to Crutchfield (I have an old Pioneer GMX962 2channel, bridging), the amp I have now requires a power/grnd wire. I used to have it on an 8g but it would start to cut off after a while (could have been how I also wired my old 12" sub, but then again one of my older brothers used this same amp in his old car and it would do the same while using an 8g p/g wire with the 10" Kicker I have now series to 8 ohms and bridged the amp).
Old 09-23-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Trog2233 is on a distinguished road
Trog2233's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07TacoRidah View Post
so the specs that are listed as using a min. of 4g wire is false on those amps? As of now I am running one, will be putting in another (4 channel sometime soon) in but it will be later.

According to Crutchfield (I have an old Pioneer GMX962 2channel, bridging), the amp I have now requires a power/grnd wire. I used to have it on an 8g but it would start to cut off after a while (could have been how I also wired my old 12" sub, but then again one of my older brothers used this same amp in his old car and it would do the same while using an 8g p/g wire with the 10" Kicker I have now series to 8 ohms and bridged the amp).
My normal rule of thumb is I use 8ga for amps up to 1000 watts then 4ga for anything over that. Your amp is at RMS Power at 2 Ohms 190 W x 2 or
RMS Power at 4 Ohms 125 W x 2. You should have no issues using 8ga. Your cutting out problem must be from something else...not lack of power. Check all your wiring and make sure ur connections are correct.

So in the end i would say you should get 4ga wire kit with a distribution block and just run 8ga from the block until you get another amp then your already setup for it.