1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear speaker HU power

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by tooth sleuth, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    tooth sleuth

tooth sleuth [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite mica trd offroad
    5100's (front 1.75) all around, rear leaf TSB. Bestop supertop, OEM bed mat. Pioneer 3200 HU, Pioneer GM 9500f amp, Eclipse SC6900 Front, Rear Eclipse 5 1/4, Marv box with Arc 10 sub. Dampened all doors and back wall with BXTII and ensolite, Supertop, blacked out emblems, 2011 grille, bedmat
    So how do I power my rear speakers with the headunit? Thanks

2. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    SilverTacoZack

SilverTacoZack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    I'm not sure quite exactly what this question is asking. Is this the factory headunit with aftermarket speakers? If so, you just need a Toyota speaker wiring adapter, which will plug into where your toyota speakers plugged in, and the other end will have speaker terminal connectors to go to your new speaker.

If you have the JBL system and you've taken out the factory amplifier that might be a bit more difficult.

3. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    tooth sleuth

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite mica trd offroad
    5100's (front 1.75) all around, rear leaf TSB. Bestop supertop, OEM bed mat. Pioneer 3200 HU, Pioneer GM 9500f amp, Eclipse SC6900 Front, Rear Eclipse 5 1/4, Marv box with Arc 10 sub. Dampened all doors and back wall with BXTII and ensolite, Supertop, blacked out emblems, 2011 grille, bedmat
    Pioneer 3200DVD HU with aftermarket Front and rear speakers. I am going to power my front speakers and sub off of the amplifier. I just want to have the rear speakers for fill. So do I need to just connect the wires from the preexisting wiring to the speakers or do I need to get a harness for it?

4. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    i would suggest getting the adapter harness and not mess with the factory wires. just hook up the rear wires from the HU to the harness.
    are you running RCA for the HU signal to the amp?

you could also just rewire the rears with fresh wire off your HU. I ran all new wiring in my old RAM since everything was running off amps and the factory wiring was going through a factory amp I didn't want to mess with.

5. Oct 1, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    ^ What Jester suggested. Just get a Metra radio harness and wire up everything. I'd even wire up the front speaker part, just to keep the wires all need back there. As long as your not going to run your amplifier back in the factory speaker wiring, this won't affect anything since you'll have the front factory speaker plugs disconnected. I'd highly recommend running new speaker wires into your front doors from your amplifier. I did this for the first time on my Tacoma after using factory wires on all my previous vehicle installs, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it'd be. I just popped off the little door boot things and tied my wire to a zip tie and pulled it through. Well worth it.

6. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    Depends on his amp and his sub power requirements. If its a fairly powerful 4 channel and 2 channels bridged can power the sub well, it'd be good to use the other 2 channels for the front speakers. If its just a 2 channel amp and your trying to use tri-mode then that might be a diff story, or if your sub really requires all 4 channels to get enough power.

7. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    tooth sleuth

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite mica trd offroad
    200 watts x 2 @4ohms. my front speakers are 75 watt rms 6x9's. Rears are 5 1/4 @50 watts RMS. SUb is gonna be an Arc 10, so i will definitely power the sub and the front speakers with the amp. I don't need much in the rear, just enough for fill and if someone is sitting back there.

8. Oct 1, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    jester156

jester156 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumberland, RI
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra AT4. 3.0l Duramax
    running that set up is going to be odd if you are using RCA sub outs on your HU. your amp won't have enough inputs being a 2 channel to also receive the front signal.
    u will need a 3ch or a 4ch and bridge the 2 for the sub. it will also provide better tuning having the sub and fronts on different channels due to power requirements and frequency ranges.
    just my 0.02 having put a system in every vehicle I have owned by myself.

9. Oct 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM
    tooth sleuth

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    Pyrite mica trd offroad
    The amp i have is a pioneer GM9500, so according to the manual I can run two channels for the front speakers @150Watts total and run the sub off the bridged Channel B @200 watts. Would there be any advantage to getting a separate mono amp for the sub other than the increase in wattage? Will I really notice a big difference between 200 vs 300 watts for the my sub (arc10 @250watts rms)?

10. Oct 1, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    SilverTacoZack

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Elgin, SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 FJ trail teams
    According to pioneer's site, the setup you've suggested would run 75 x 2 RMS to the fronts @ 4 ohms, and 200 x 1 for the sub @ 4 ohms. As long as your sub is setup to be 4 ohms, you should be fine. 200 watts is plenty of power. Just make sure you don't run it at 2 ohms if its DVC, or you'll make the amp pissed off. I actually had the option in my truck of running my 4 channel similar to yours, but I chose to run the sub off a separate amp simply because I already owned it and it made adjusting the rear speaker level easier (there is no way to adjust gain from the factory head). But you can always just adjust the front's gain to be way more than the rears. I'd use what you've got.

Products Discussed in

To Top