1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Android Navigation using Bluetooth

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Jreays, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Oct 6, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    I want to install a new Head Unit in the truck. I am trying to figure out how my Droid Incredible Bluetooth connection would work. Does anyone know how navigation instructions are handled? ie If I am driving along listening to FM radio would navigation cut in and tell me what to do? Please let me know how yours works. Thanks!

2. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:25 AM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    No. The only way you would get nav instructions from your android phone is if the radio supports A2DP bluetooth audio profile. Then you would have to switch your stereo to bluetooth input. you would get the audio from your phone but not your music in between.

3. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:29 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    Bummer, I was thinking it would be like that. I was hoping it would handle instructions like a phone call and just mute the radio. What type of android phone do you have? Do you have Froyo?

4. Oct 6, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    8th sin

8th sin Swollen Member

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 Sport
    Llumar CTX Tint, Grillcraft MX Upper, Pro Comp Rockwell 5034 17x8.5, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 LT285/70/17, Icon Stage III
    Assuming the phone is properly paired to the headunit, a phone call will cause it to mute/pause whatever is playing and you will be able to hear the caller. This is a function of the headunit, not your phone. Any other audio events (navigation, music, notifcations, etc) will only come across through A2DP (and that's a maybe). Your phone supports A2DP, but you'd have to have your head unit set to bluetooth audio (A2DP) to hear anything...the phone can't send an "interrupt" event for anything other than a phone call.

A kluge would be to just play all your music from the phone to the headunit via A2DP, but that's kind of klunky

--I have a captivate with froyo and lots of other tricks :)

5. Oct 6, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Jreays

Jreays [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Sport Double
    I wonder if someone could make an app to make navigation seem like a phone call. The sound quality wouldn't have to be all that great for nav. I don't really like the idea of having to listen to music only through the phone.

Products Discussed in

To Top