1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine PDX-5

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by raswank, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 18, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    just wondering, what wattage did everyones PDX birth at?

mine came in at 96 and 392

2. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    raswank

raswank [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Auburn,Ma
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 6 speed
    Grillcraft, Rear leaf TSB, 5100's at .85, with Eibachs, 265/70/17 BF Goodrich AT/S Tires, Hella 500's behind Grill, Kenwood KDC X995 H/U all Boston Acoustic speakers, JL Audio subs, Kenwood XR5 S amp, ATX Chrome 17x8 wheels
    Can someone tell me what a 1 farad capacitor is good for? And do I need one with the system I am designing? My design is...... Front 6x9 Boston Acoustic SR95's rear Boston Acoustic SR65's. Either a Kenwood KIV 700, or a Kenwood Excelon X994 not sure yet. Kenwood 6 disc C.D. changer. Kenwood Excelon XR5-S 5 channel amp. Streetwires ZN7 6 channel audio cables. And probably the ********* 10 speaker enclosure for behind the D/C seat. What'cha think so far?

3. Oct 18, 2010 at 1:56 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nothing and No. The theory is it acts as a buffer between the battery and amp to prevent low voltage. The battery can only supply so much current so fast and a heavy bass note can create a low voltage situation. Many amps... like the PDX are not regualted and produce less power as voltage decreases. Things like watts produced at 14.4 volts often mean nothing as a stressed electrical system wont allow that maximum "best case" wattage to actually be used. Other amps like the JL HD series are regualted and produce the rated power from 11.5 to 14.5 volts.

So with sagging voltage you get decreased output on your amp running the highs and dimming headlights with the bass beat (because halogen headlight brightness is not regulated and brightness increases or decreases with voltage like the output of an unregualted amp).

THe problem is the battery can still only feed the capacitor so much current so fast. THe alternator can only feed the battery so much so fast. If you only had an occasional bass note a capacitor would work; however with a continuous beat in the background drawing massive power the cap does not really accomplish anything as it gets drained in short order... youd be better off upgrading your alternator if you dont have the heavy duty one from the tow package and/or getting a second battery.

In many circles a capacitor is viewed as a rip off, with no use, used by newbs who dont know better, and pushed by car audio salespeople who are just trying to get money from a customer. I say it has a VERY limited use and should only be considerd AFTER you have done the big three upgrade, upgraded your alternator, and gone with a dual battery set up.

Now for these all in one class D amps... they use very little power and are very efficient... 60-90 Amps is MAX current. You are not going to be causing enough of a draw to need a capacitor IMO unles your electrical system is garbage and you listen to the system pegged every second.

4. Oct 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    ^This man knows his shit and has the patience to explain it (I lack that sometimes).

A+ good sir...you've earned your rep for the day.

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    I agree with Devl also.

6. Oct 27, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    thegreatsam

thegreatsam Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab TRD Off-Road
    92 and 414 RMS

7. Oct 27, 2010 at 6:43 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Wow 414 is impressive. I really like that these come with birth sheets. That says a lot about a manufacturer.

Products Discussed in

To Top