Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Need advice purchasing an Ipod car adapter

Old 10-12-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Sunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunburst is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: RC
Sunburst's Tacoma Gallery
Need advice purchasing an Ipod car adapter

I purchased my son a 2006 Pre-Runner for his high school graduation back in May with the standard no frills Toyota AM/FM CD radio with no plug in for an MP3. His birthday is coming up and we picked up an Ipod Touch (Free with an Apple all in one computer purchase) and I would like to compliment the Ipod with a hook up to his truck.

I know nothing about MP3 and Ipods but what little I have read on this board, but what I have learned is if possible stay away from the FM broadcast units. I would like to pickup one we can wire directly into the back of the radio or the CD slot if I remember correctly.

Does anyone have a brand they would recommend that would help with the interface.

Thanks in advance...

RC
Old 10-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Aftermarket head unit
Old 10-12-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
I used an FM transmitter with no issues for years. I will say that I finally got a new head unit and the quality is way better through the wire!

Here is the go-to thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ory-radio.html

BTW if you want a FM transmitter PM me, I have no use for mine now and need to sell it.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #4
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
USA Spec PA15-Toy or a Grom Audio Ipod adaptor is what you are looking for. They are far superior to FM transmitters. I have the USA Spec adapter and it works great. I got it for $120 new on ebay from this store: http://cgi.ebay.com/USA-SPEC-iPOD-TO...item3efd6c301c

More info on both units:

USA Spec or Grom Audio

Old 10-12-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
You can pick up an aftermarket head unit with a built in iPod interface for about the same price as the USA-spec mentioned above. Plus the sound quality will be greatly improved.

I went through crutchfield.com and it came with a wiring harness and mounting kit. I bought a higher end unit but still only spent $234. The unit alone was $199. I saw lots other units for $100 or less plus free shipping.