LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Antenna Hood Mount for 2nd gen?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #1
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
CB Antenna Hood Mount for 2nd gen?

I'm looking for a CB antenna hood mount for my truck.

My local shop sold me one of these, which is designed for a T100 and won't work.

Is there anyone who makes one for a 2nd gen? I saw this but I don't know of anyone who's tried it.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
I have the universal hood mount on my 1st gen. Works great. Right Channel Radios is an awesome company to do business with BTW.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I really don't mean to sound rude with this comment, but a 1st gen hoodline is not a 2nd gen hoodline. That's why there's a mount sitting in my house that a guy said "is specifically designed for toyota hoodlines"... just not my hoodline I hope you understand the predicament.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #4
Love Your Leisure
BrentPaucke is on a distinguished road
Navy: ABH
Name: brent
BrentPaucke's Tacoma Gallery
heat it up with a torch and use a vise and hammer to make it fit your hood line
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Nuggety

The one I have is too short.... aaand I don't have a torch.

I just saw that Right Channel posted dimensions that I missed last time around. I'm headed to the garage with a tape measure.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:05 PM   #6
as in Gobias some coffee

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
It's not surprising that the T100 mount doesn't fit. You'll need a universal. Both the Firestik deep channel and universal adjustable should fit. It's been a while since I looked at a 2nd gen but somehow I doubt their hood channels are any deeper than 2". If for some odd reason they are deeper then just add some shims and you'll be good to go.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #7
Nuggety

The hood channel is 1 3/4" deep, the universal mount can handle up to 2".

btw gobias, I like how you flipped yours upside down to reduce hight

Thanks everyone
Old 10-19-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
as in Gobias some coffee

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Also, a word of advice. If you have a fiberglass antenna I'd stay away from medium strength springs. I had one to start out with and the antenna would damn near slam into the cab on the highway. Just a wee bit too much give. The HD strength springs work way better with just the right amount of give when I hit tree branches and stuff.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
Nuggety

I have a Wilson Flex-4, I don't think there was any spring needed... I can bend it into a U-shape by hand, so it's got some pretty good give. Would you consider that too much?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #10
as in Gobias some coffee

gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Might have some issues with your SWR with that antenna. I'm more of a fan of Firestik. Got mine 1:1 in a couple minutes of tuning.
Even with a flex antenna I'd still suggest a spring. It'll protect your mount.
Old 10-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #11
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Nuggety

What mount is that? I looked again at my channel, and there's a funny lip on the inside so I might have to do some bending if I got a universal. Uggghhh.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Nuggety

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Even with a flex antenna I'd still suggest a spring. It'll protect your mount.
I'm not sure I understand. Is it that the antenna flexing puts too much strain on the mount or...?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #14
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenmunga View Post
What mount is that? I looked again at my channel, and there's a funny lip on the inside so I might have to do some bending if I got a universal. Uggghhh.
Not sure what u call mine..had it for years...was on my 1st gen too. I did have to flat-in out where u see the 3 wholes...hammer and block did the trick....pretty sure I picked it up at a CB shop.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:20 AM   #15
Aquilla1 will become famous soon enough
Army:
Aquilla1's Tacoma Gallery
As far as CB antenna mounts go, there's really nothing better than the old Ball mount
http://www.rightchannelradios.com/al...mount-257.html

Its a bomb-proof mount that will hold any antenna (when installed properly) and gives absolute best performance from your radio/antenna combination.

Of course, like all good things, there's a down side- you've got to drill some mighty big holes in your truck...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #16
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
I made this one for a ham radio antenna. much cleaner looking then those generic hood ones and no drilling. I'm sure it would work for a CB antenna as well.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ket-mount.html
Old 10-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
Nuggety

I think that would drive me nuts with it being in front of me, plus the antenna would smack the truck body I would assume.

Quote:
there's really nothing better than the old Ball mount
Yeah, that's a bit more drilling than I'd like to do.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #18
4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed4RunnerSeth is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy:
4RunnerSeth's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via MSN to 4RunnerSeth Send a message via Yahoo to 4RunnerSeth
Quote:
I think that would drive me nuts with it being in front of me, plus the antenna would smack the truck body I would assume.

Not sure about CB antennas, but never had a problem with the ham antenna. could even open the hood all the way without removing the antenna.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #19
Mall Krawler
coppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shedcoppert is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Travis
coppert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I also have one of PreRunnerSeth's customer mounts for my HAM antenna. With the angle that it is at I am able to open the hood without any issues. The antenna seemed like it would be in the way, but is really not that noticeable. It is probably something you get used to, but it has never been an issue for me.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:53 AM   #20
Nuggety

I might have to get one from Seth simply because options are low. If I can't get something fabbed by the 6th I'll let you know. Thanks for providing hope