Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Component system Q for AC

Old 10-21-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flightcancled's Tacoma Gallery
Component system Q for AC

Once I got a new HU I instantly realized that the stock speakers have to go. Funds are starting to appear in my Paypal and I have decided that I want to turn them around and into the audio in my truck (an AC). Started cruising Crutchfeid and came across the Kenwood KFC-P708 component system for $100 on sale.

Kit includes 2 woofers, 2 tweeters, 2 crossovers, and 2 woofer grilles

It wants me to use a enclosure for my crossovers and mount the woofers in the doors, but I'm not going that route. I'm not sacrificing room in the cab. Maybe twin enclosures under the seats, but that is as far as I would go.

Am I right in thinking that the way to go is to put the tweets where they belong, the crossovers in the front doors and the woofers in the rear? Or would it be better with the woofers at my feet and the crossovers behind me?

Help me here, never done a system of any kind before.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
They go in the door. Its a component system. The tweeter handles the high notes and the "woofer" handles the mids. If you go with them you may want to add an amp
Old 10-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #3
Addicted
flightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shedflightcancled is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yeah, but which doors should I put the woofers in and which the crossovers?
Old 10-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If the woofers are 6" or 6x9 they go with the tweeter in the stock location. Don't put crossovers in the doors put them under the dashboard or in the kick panel. Too much moisture in the doors.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
Addicted

Wouldn't there be a lot of moisture in the kick panels too? My muddy, grubby feet are going there.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:16 AM   #6
hookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shedhookedontronics is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jake
hookedontronics's Tacoma Gallery
It sound like you are under the impression that the crossovers are a speaker, which they are not. The speakers (woofers and tweeters) mount in your door, you will need speaker rings to make them fit as well. They call them woofers but they are probably not he woofers you are thinking about. they are much smaller.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed81shark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i have my cross overs in the door. no biggie. but just as an fyi, the crossover seperates the soudn and sends the hi's to the tweeter and everything else to the "woofer". if you open up your front doors, you actually have a cheap set of components in there from teh factory. key word is cheap.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
Wouldn't there be a lot of moisture in the kick panels too? My muddy, grubby feet are going there.
No, the door has water from outside pour in all the time... thats why there is a vapor barrier there. Your kick panel is inside the truck and behind a plastic panel from your buddies feet.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:12 AM   #9
Addicted

Thanks for the info guys! I wonder what the gains to the stock system would be from just replacing the crossovers.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 AM   #10
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
None, the crossovers are set at the correct frequencies for the stock speakers. You need crossovers matched to your mid and tweet. New speakers need new crossovers.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
You would want to mount the crossover somewhere that you can get to them. You may need to adjust the attenuation of the tweeters after installation and if you bury them in a door or behind a bunch of crap, doing this will be a pain in the ass. This is why a lot of people mount them to the amp board near the amplifier.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #12
SHHHH, this is interesting
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

07TacoRidah's Tacoma Gallery
sorry to thread jack, but
how much wire do you think I will need if I place my comp amp under the passenger seat with the 2 crossovers by the amp (something like this), for my front doors?

Old 10-23-2010, 12:59 PM   #13
Addicted

Go for it!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #14
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
About 20' for each run should be enough if you mount them behind the back seat. Time to bust out the tape measure.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
i'd estimate about 8ft of speaker wire for each speaker. i ran the wire before cutting, so i don't eactly remember.

also, you may want to put the amp under the drivers seat. there is a bar under the passenger seat that may preclude your from putting it there.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #17
07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed07TacoRidah is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81shark View Post
i'd estimate about 8ft of speaker wire for each speaker. i ran the wire before cutting, so i don't eactly remember.

also, you may want to put the amp under the drivers seat. there is a bar under the passenger seat that may preclude your from putting it there.
I already have an amp under the driver seat, the bar isn't a problem. All you ave to do is flip it, and I'm going to be taking out the seat anyhow for the install DAMN, I wass wayyyyyyy off from the 20' that was used for the DC. I'm going to just round off on it to about 10/12' ft. an for all 4. I don't mind have a little extra, lol nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #18
Addicted

Is it worth replacing the stock wiring with aftermarket as long as I am doing my install?

Also is it going to make or break me if I leave the stock rear speakers? I was thinking about maybe glassing the inside of the panels and putting small subs in the rear to get around the box issue.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightcancled View Post
Is it worth replacing the stock wiring with aftermarket as long as I am doing my install?

Also is it going to make or break me if I leave the stock rear speakers? I was thinking about maybe glassing the inside of the panels and putting small subs in the rear to get around the box issue.
I'm going to have to replace mine, doubt I will have enough of the stock to make it to the crossovers. I am going to be using 18g. The rears are pretty much filler I guess. I have heard people saying to ditch them, which is pretty much true, they don't do much there. I mean if anything if you get a sub in the back, it'll kill off the rear and you'll only hear the fronts. I say ditch the rears.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
Addicted

That's what I mean. I was thinking long term to ditch the rears, mount the largest subs I can in the stock holes (which will be small no doubt). And glassing the inside of the door panels so that they are more ridged. Is that a good idea?