Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

1st Gen Reg Cab Radio - Install Prerunner DD?

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
xshelton is on a distinguished road
Name: John
xshelton's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen Reg Cab Radio - Install Prerunner DD?

Newcomer here, I

have a base Reg cab 2x4 with the single din CD player. Will the double din unit with a CD player mount right up? I notice the prerunners all come with the nicer dd head unit with the CD drive right at the top. The space seems to be the same so I'm hoping I could drop one right in and plug it in. I don't need a fancy radio with a trillion buttons on the front and happen to prefer the simplicity of a stock radio.

Also, the basic single din radio does have a CD button on it, I'm guessing it would control a CD changer but I don't see any info on that listed in the owners manual. Where would that be mounted in the reg cab or would that only be an option for the access cab?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
xshelton is on a distinguished road
Name: John
xshelton's Tacoma Gallery
Project done

We'll no responses, I guess no one has done this.

So I bought a used double din radio with CD & Tape and also bought a PIE CD Changer RCA iPod adapter. Pulled out the old radio and the stock DD radio mounted up just fine. Wiring was identical and iPod now plays by hitting the CD button twice.

I chose the stock radio over aftermarket because the small buttons on the front of the Sony required more than a quick glance to press. The stock buttons are huge and I barely have to look at it now to change anything.

I took out a pretty nice looking Sony radio however I have to say the stock Toyota unit sounds much better and balanced. Certainly something to do with the stock speakers. I'm very pleased with the outcome.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
davidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the sheddavidpick is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: David
davidpick's Tacoma Gallery
sorry, i just saw this thread or i would have been able to chime in. i went the opposite way in my truck (from stock double-din to aftermarket single) and then added the little shelf/pocket below.

congrats on a successful swap!