1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Components or Coaxials in Access Cab

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by mr_nemesis2003, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    mr_nemesis2003

mr_nemesis2003 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Hi guys, I'm in a debate and was wondering if someone could chime in on this. I have a 06 Access Cab with ID CTX65CS components up front and Infinity Perfect 10 sub.

The debate is if it would sound better to wire some Pioneer REV series components in the back(I would wire them in parallel for a 2ohm load to amp) or TS-G1643R coaxials powered from the HU. I already have both sets of speakers(whichever ones i don't use will go to another car). I was wondering which setup would sound best. Thanks in advance!

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 5:37 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    FWIW, i have one 12" infinity kappa sub and 4 decent pioneer 6x8 coaxials in my truck powered by the HU. I used to have the exact same sub and only 2- 6.5" Infinity kappa components in my previous car hooked up to an amp. At normal listening levels, the new setup sounds good. But when you wanna crank it up, especially when listening to anything with a lot of detailed guitar in it, I really miss the components. They sounded really really good. I only put in the coaxials for convenience and plan on putting the components in eventually.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:07 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    That whole bit about wiring the components in parallel to get 2 ohm doesn't sound right to me. Typically components come with a crossover and you get 4 ohm and that parallel bit sounds like you are talking about wiring subs not components.

4. Nov 8, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    IMHO, your current setup will sound best. Another set of speakers of any sort will only muck up your sound stage. Unless your back seat passengers are complaining about their sound quality,,, and you actually care about their opinion,,, would I consider adding anything else.

BTW, I have a single set of components in my DC with a 10" sub in back (Focals and Arc Audio).

5. Nov 8, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    mr_nemesis2003

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    dolbytone, i was thinking of wiring them in parallel by connecting the left channel speakers to one output on the amp, and the same for the right.

shampoop & Lurkin, thanks for the input.

6. Nov 8, 2010 at 11:43 AM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    That's not typically how it works.

7. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Let me see if I've read this correctly. You want to wire two sets of speakers, either comp/comp or comp/coax in parallel off of your HU? If so, chances are you may very well fry the HUs amp as I have yet to see a HU amp that is 2 ohm stable.

8. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    ToyoDrew

ToyoDrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 Inferno TRD-OR DCSB 4x4 (SOLD)
    OVTune, Hertz spkrs & JBL MS-8 DSP, Turn-as-Tail mod, LEDs everywhere, MESOJDM Turn Signal, Bakflip Revolver X2, Pop-n-Lock, Yakima roof rack, & many minor mods
    It CAN work, but I wouldn't recommend it. The HP filters for the front components and the rear coax's will most likely be different. If you crank it up, you'll have distortion and possibly ruin your speakers. Or if, you adjust the filters so that it'll work for both speakers, then your not getting your monies worth from the one that can play lower.

But like others have said, your current setup is the way you should go unless you want to please your rear passengers (which I doubt since you have an AC). Rear speakers will mess with your front stage and it won't sound as good.

9. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    mr_nemesis2003

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner

Naw, the components are running off an external amp. If I run coaxials, i would just use the factory wiring to the rear speaker outputs on my headunit. But if I would put the component, I would have wired them to the amp. The headunit would hardly handle the components, let alone two, lol.

10. Nov 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    mr_nemesis2003

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    ToyoDrew, yeah, I think I'll be ditching the idea of pleasing rear passengers, lol.

11. Nov 8, 2010 at 8:06 PM
    shampoop

shampoop Well-Known Member

Member:
    southwest WA
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma extracab v6 auto trd offroad 4x4
    I was thinking about this thread when i was listening to my stereo today while i was listening to an old queens of the stone age cd i found. I listened to it many times before on my old component setup. Definitely not gonna wait long to put the components back in.

12. Nov 9, 2010 at 10:53 AM
    mr_nemesis2003

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner
    Yup, coaxials just don't cut it anymore once you've heard a good set of components, lol

Products Discussed in

To Top