Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Oh great TW audio gurus help me!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Admiral of the JOLLY ROGER navy
micropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to behold

Name: damion
micropiper's Tacoma Gallery
Oh great TW audio gurus help me!!!

How do I go about finding out how big of a sub box i need to build (cubic feet)? If it helps ive got a 400w rms (800w max) 10". Running off a pyle 2 channel 1400w amp. Only intend to use one channel. Want to build a sealed unit if possible.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
Go to your local audio shop and drop $100 for a sealed pre-built...saves a lot of time in my experience.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobord552 View Post
read the manuel of the sub.. it should tell you the optimal dimensions of a sealed box and ported
Yes, ask Manuel.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

That's cold homey. You and I are actually in agreement on this.

You just tapped into a semi private joke I have going on with my coworkers. When we're installing projectors there's this connection we make in a UPS and there's a sticker on the battery connector that you plug in that has in huge letters "See Manual" and every time I go to do this I ask aloud: "Anybody know where Manuel is?"

I just thought it was a little humorous.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:27 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Why not give us the model of the subwoofer?
Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM   #7
micropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to beholdmicropiper is a splendid one to behold

Sorry it would help if i explain. Got the sub from a dude cleaning out his storage unit across from mine. No manuel. Already had amp. sub is a boss audio d10f shallow mount. I have a single cab so space is a problem. Most premade stuff wont fit.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #8

If I were to build a box for the Boss Audio D10F, I would build it for the sub I am eventually going to put in the box and use the D10F as a placeholder.
Old 11-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #9
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
^x2 (OP, not knocking your sub...just sayin').
Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 AM   #10

I get that its not the greatest sub. But for 20 bucks it was hard to pass up. Can someone point me in the right direction at least????
Old 11-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #11

As fun as it sounds, it's kind of asking a lot of everybody to have a brand new subwoofer conversation every time someone wants to buy new subs. There are already some very good discussions regarding subwoofer selection and it would serve you better to pick through those than get a whole pile of comments like:

"This is what I have and it kicks ass."

People get all excited and repost pictures of their stuff and it turns into somewhat of a swap-mete circle jerk which really doesn't help anybody at all. Selection of a subwoofer is somewhat a matter of personal taste and priorities/constraints. What I suggest is that you look deeper into the matter and come back with maybe a list of subs you are considering and explain why those are the ones you are looking at.

This forum would then be much more capable of providing feedback on the subject.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #12

wow. all im asking is if anyone knows how to figure out how much box i need for the SUB AND AMP I ALREADY OWN. Not looking for opinions on my sub purchase. Anyone with something helpful to add???????
Old 11-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Local Man
bigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigburrito is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bigburrito's Tacoma Gallery
you could just build it as big as it will comfortably fit in your truck. $20 sub + $20 board itll be hard to go wrong
Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
I've got so much soul in me that I'm barely alive.
Zombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedZombie Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AMMO (2W0)
Name: Kevin
Zombie Runner's Tacoma Gallery
for a cheap sub like that I would just build a box that fits in the space you have...not much...and hook it up. dont get too technical with it, man.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:35 AM   #15
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
There is another search tool called Google. It works pretty good!!

http://www.termpro.com/articles/buildbox.html

http://www.bcae1.com/spboxnew2.htm
Old 11-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #16

Rawr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by micropiper View Post
wow. all im asking is if anyone knows how to figure out how much box i need for the SUB AND AMP I ALREADY OWN. Not looking for opinions on my sub purchase. Anyone with something helpful to add???????
The sub you listed does not provide specifications for a box. Basically all I got when I took a look at the manufacturer website is the overwhelming feeling that you will be unhappy with the performance of your $20 subwoofer. This is why I suggested building the box for another subwoofer and replacing the one you have with a better sub in the future.

I then provided my suggestion for hunting down that subwoofer you will probably eventually purchase so you can get an idea on what box you will need. The information I provided, I believe, is what will be most helpful to you right now so don't take offense. I'm just trying to steer you in a direction that will eliminate the necessity for you to build two boxes, the let's-get-this-done-right-now box and then the holy-shit-that-sub-blows-I-need-to-do-this-over box.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #18

Sorry dolby i missunderstood what you meant in your previous post(i shouldent be on tw before coffee) . Guess im gonna just wing it. like big burrito said for 20 bucks it leaves room for error.