1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Setup - Need amp advice (Pics)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by TorenApart, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Aug 2, 2008 at 8:16 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    So I just finished the install of my new subs

I put in 2 JL 10w3v2 D4's and a 500/1 amplifier backed by dynamat (pics in gallery)

See:
    [​IMG]

What is the conditioning period for these speaker/Amp configuration?

Right now the speakers seem to clipping quite a bit and I can't figure out if the speakers need more time to break in, the EQ settings (which blow my mind anyway) need to be adjusted, or my setup is messed up all around.

2. Aug 3, 2008 at 8:45 AM
    atsaubrey

atsaubrey Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.

Member:
    california
    Vehicle:
    blue 2007 double cab
    Sundown Audio 100.4 and 1500D, Pioneer 880PRS, Zapco Refernece 6.5" comps, 2 10" Image Dynamics IDQ, 200ft of Second Skin deadener, Kicker wire
    I need more info. How much airspace for each W3? What kind of headunit or did you use a LOC? Who did the install? Are the drivers single coil or dual coil and what is the ohm of each coil? Who did the vinyl on the box? :eek:

3. Aug 3, 2008 at 9:14 AM
    Mr Marv

Mr Marv 1-831-383-0308 7am-10pm pst Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Marv
    Monterey Bay California
    Vehicle:
    Custom Built Enclosures/speaker adapters etc
    Give me a call today and I'll have you check a few things as well as run you through a quick initial setup/tuning procedure. :)

4. Aug 3, 2008 at 9:48 AM
    mneuls

mneuls Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort St John, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    5100's and dakar leaf 3"lift, Satoshi grill,
    Bilstein 5100's front and back, dakar 3" leaf springs, Westin bull bar, piaa driving lights, piaa replacement bulbs, H/U, 2x10" mtx tt65 subs, 1000w clarion monoblock, Mtx surround speakers. green wire mod. Flowmaster 40, airaid intake. scanguage II.

i like how you just threw the vinyl in there, lol. It does look good, doesn't it?

5. Aug 7, 2008 at 7:55 PM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    Are your subs actually touching the back of the seat? That can't be good for the surrounds. Also, speakers don't clip, the amplifier clips a signal. The subs might be playing a clipped signal but I'm curious as to what you are hearing as a clipped signal.

I have not found that subs need a break-in period. I just haven't heard a real difference that I can attribute to the surround getting loosened up or the spider loosening up (and if it did I can only see that a a bad thing). What is there in the amplifier section to break-in? I don't think that capacitors and the such have a real break-in period which I am aware. There is sometimes a difference when electronics warm up, but that has some physical merit in my eyes (ears).

Not trying to be nit picky, but I'd like to help and need acurate details to do so. Also trying to pass along some knowledge.

I'd imagine that if there is an issue with a nasty sound it would be a result of the seat back being too close to the cones.

6. Aug 7, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    I appreciate everyone's input.

To answer your question Soon07, no, the subs have 3ish inches of clearance. However, when the seats are folded down, they touch the sub and closure. I believe it looks worse due to the leather interior and cushioning installed which protrudes more than usual. No big deal though when they are up.

After speaking with Mr. Marv on Monday, he helped me figure it out in about 5 minutes.

The problem has turned out to be that the internal crossover in the Tacoma's stock HU was cutting the frequencies sent to my amplifier. After having Marv guide me through a few tweaks with the amp itself, we were able to almost cut out all of the bad sound at modest volumes.

There is no doubt though that I will be replacing the HU soon.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. Sorry I was not more clear with my initial question.

Products Discussed in

To Top