LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

New Setup - Need amp advice (Pics)

Old 08-02-2008, 08:16 PM   #1
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
New Setup - Need amp advice (Pics)

So I just finished the install of my new subs

I put in 2 JL 10w3v2 D4's and a 500/1 amplifier backed by dynamat (pics in gallery)

See:

What is the conditioning period for these speaker/Amp configuration?

Right now the speakers seem to clipping quite a bit and I can't figure out if the speakers need more time to break in, the EQ settings (which blow my mind anyway) need to be adjusted, or my setup is messed up all around.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:45 AM   #2
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
I need more info. How much airspace for each W3? What kind of headunit or did you use a LOC? Who did the install? Are the drivers single coil or dual coil and what is the ohm of each coil? Who did the vinyl on the box?
Old 08-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
So I just finished the install of my new subs

I put in 2 JL 10w3v2 D4's and a 500/1 amplifier backed by dynamat (pics in gallery)

See:

What is the conditioning period for these speaker/Amp configuration?

Right now the speakers seem to clipping quite a bit and I can't figure out if the speakers need more time to break in, the EQ settings (which blow my mind anyway) need to be adjusted, or my setup is messed up all around.
Give me a call today and I'll have you check a few things as well as run you through a quick initial setup/tuning procedure.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
mneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nicemneuls is just really nice

mneuls's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsaubrey View Post
I need more info. How much airspace for each W3? What kind of headunit or did you use a LOC? Who did the install? Are the drivers single coil or dual coil and what is the ohm of each coil? Who did the vinyl on the box?

i like how you just threw the vinyl in there, lol. It does look good, doesn't it?
Old 08-07-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
Are your subs actually touching the back of the seat? That can't be good for the surrounds. Also, speakers don't clip, the amplifier clips a signal. The subs might be playing a clipped signal but I'm curious as to what you are hearing as a clipped signal.

I have not found that subs need a break-in period. I just haven't heard a real difference that I can attribute to the surround getting loosened up or the spider loosening up (and if it did I can only see that a a bad thing). What is there in the amplifier section to break-in? I don't think that capacitors and the such have a real break-in period which I am aware. There is sometimes a difference when electronics warm up, but that has some physical merit in my eyes (ears).

Not trying to be nit picky, but I'd like to help and need acurate details to do so. Also trying to pass along some knowledge.

I'd imagine that if there is an issue with a nasty sound it would be a result of the seat back being too close to the cones.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
I appreciate everyone's input.

To answer your question Soon07, no, the subs have 3ish inches of clearance. However, when the seats are folded down, they touch the sub and closure. I believe it looks worse due to the leather interior and cushioning installed which protrudes more than usual. No big deal though when they are up.

After speaking with Mr. Marv on Monday, he helped me figure it out in about 5 minutes.

The problem has turned out to be that the internal crossover in the Tacoma's stock HU was cutting the frequencies sent to my amplifier. After having Marv guide me through a few tweaks with the amp itself, we were able to almost cut out all of the bad sound at modest volumes.

There is no doubt though that I will be replacing the HU soon.

Again, thanks for everyone's help. Sorry I was not more clear with my initial question.