Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

installation

Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
danlabarb_DP is on a distinguished road
danlabarb_DP's Tacoma Gallery
installation

i am installing a ten inch sub into my tacoma but when i took apart the dash and radio i noticed there is no RCA outputs on the stock stereo is there a wiring harness or something i can get so i dont have to get a new head unit and still use the stock one

Thanks
Old 08-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #2
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, you can use a line out converter, however, Toyota's head unit has a built in cross over limiting the bass signal. I would definitely recommend buying an aftermarket CD player.

I am experiencing the same exact problem right now.

According to Mr. Marv, who is the freaking man, adding bass blockers may be a work-around, although I must admit I don't understand why.

I would definitely say put your money to a decent head unit and replacement speakers. It may be a little bit of a hassle now, but in the long run you'll be glad.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorenApart View Post
just get a new HU... spend a bit more $$$ and you will be much happier in the long run!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:37 PM   #5
danlabarb_DP is on a distinguished road
danlabarb_DP's Tacoma Gallery
how much would it limit the bass cause i just have the single cab and dont need much
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I have an MTX re-Q, and I couldn't be happier.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...e-Q+-REQ-.html

There is also a 5ch version:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-sup%3E-.html
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlabarb_DP View Post
how much would it limit the bass cause i just have the single cab and dont need much

A ton at the lower frequencies. It is no good, the distortion is distracting. Your sub will never sound as good as it could.

Definitely save your money in the long run and just even just a decent HU, and possibly new speakers.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:27 PM   #8
Low and slow
dually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the sheddually is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 14S
dually's Tacoma Gallery
Just get a new HU, makes things so much easier. And think of all the added features!
Old 08-04-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Dealer/Sales Rep for Sundown Audio.
atsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really niceatsaubrey is just really nice
atsaubrey's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed invest in an aftermarket head unit and the best you can afford. PERIOD! I truly love the Pioneer 880PRS or the new 800PRS (same thing for the most part) because of the versatility of it and the unlimited upgrade options. I personally use one in my Taco. Bottom line is get an aftermarket deck. You will be out $100-$1000 (depending on budget of course) with the dash kit and deck. Consider any DECENT L.O.C. will cost you at least $50. I do not know you budget of course but I have roughly $2500 in my system and IMO it could win some small SQ competitions. Remy I believe would vouch for that too. I would be MORE than happy to discuss your options on the phone just send me a pm, of course MrMarv loves talking audio as much as I do so either of us would be happy to help.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM   #10
Nuggety
Chickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shedChickenmunga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Chickenmunga's Tacoma Gallery
Yet another vote for an aftermarket HU. The factory decks were never meant to really do more than what they already do - it's awfully nice that there's the metra adapter for an iPod, but I wouldn't expect anything more. An aftermarket deck will provide you with not only added options, but a much cleaner sound, and as you wanted, should provide you with three sets of RCA preouts for front, rear, and sub (provided that it's of decent quality).

Take a look around online to get a feel of prices, then set a "no less than, no greater than" budget. I would assume you could do very well with $200, as I see that Alpine has the CDA-9884 and iDA-X200 on Crutchfield for that price.

Most installation places will do free deck install for any deck over $100, but know that there is an added cost for some parts.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:51 AM   #11
Displaced Texan
MotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to allMotoXFreeStyle61 is a name known to all

Air Force: 1LT
MotoXFreeStyle61's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MotoXFreeStyle61 Send a message via MSN to MotoXFreeStyle61
+1 On the new headunit. I have used my stock head unit for the past 2 years with my 10" sub. I just recently put an aftermarket headunit and the sound is worlds better. Everything signal is sent to where it needs to go. You put a higher output and clarity to the main speakers, and my sub punches a lot clearer now.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
If you just have to keep the factory headunit an inexpensive route would be an LOC and bass blockers on the front speakers to block out the lows they really can't play well anyway (and will now be played by the sub). If the regular cab has the plug installed for rear speakers install the LOC to that output and you will be able to adjust level between the sub and front speakers "on the fly". If there is no rear output on the regular cab radio (I'm pretty sure there is but it may not have the plug installed) an in-line level control on the sub will do the same thing. In any case you will still be limited by the bass limiter in the headunit but from what you have stated it appears that may not be a problem for you.

Now on the other hand.... Although I'm sure you already have the idea that an aftermarket headunit would be the ideal way to go if possible I still have to mention that IMO even an inexpensive $99.00 installed headunit special from Circuit City/Best Buy would be a better/easier solution as mentioned.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:59 PM   #13
1/2 man 1/2 amazing
sooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsooner07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: A A Ron
sooner07's Tacoma Gallery
I agree fully with Marv. Get a headunit. Even an inexpensive head unit will be leaps and bounds better than the stock unit and will be the backbone of anything you decide to do in the future.