Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

still having sub trouble... PLEASE HELP =(

Old 11-20-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Daniel
DSully72's Tacoma Gallery
still having sub trouble... PLEASE HELP =(

okay guys im having trouble again with my system... i have new subwoofers, a new cd player, a new amp, and a new wiring kit... i dont understand what could be goin on.... but im not getting any signal to my subs still... if i turn up the gain on the am i can get a very little signal that i can barely feel by feeling the center of the subwoofer, but that all i can get constantly... HOWEVER.... when i turn up the gain on the amp fairly significantly, it jumped from being so quiet you cant hear the subs, to incredibly loud for only a split second... im very confused and have no idea what on earth could be goin on... PLEASE help me out guys... i know im dumb as hell when it comes to this audio stuff... but i need help. im gonna try and cooperate as much as i can, but if i have a hard time catching on please bear with me.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
DSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDSully72 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bump please =/
Old 11-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #3
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you're amp could be screwed up. Re-check your wiring, negatives are running to negatives, etc. I run a 0 gauge wire to ground my amps (if you don't have one). Whatever you are grounding it to make sure you have the paint sanded off and it's just bare metal or you won't have a good ground. That's my advice, i could be wrong i dunno. Sound usually is hard to know what's wrong with it when you really can't get your hands on it, good luck with the fix.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #4
Drewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrewboto is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Drew
Drewboto's Tacoma Gallery
I'm an audio boob myself, but perhaps a bad power/ground connection on the amp?

You might be able to slip a 20 to a car audio shop worker and get some pro help
Old 11-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

i made sure when i grounded it i grinded all the paint off. i have it grounded to once of the posts on my passenger seat cuz thats where the amp is, under the seat. i have no other place to put it... but im pretty sure its not my grounding...
Old 11-20-2010, 06:48 PM   #6
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
try turnin the bass down on the radio its self
Old 11-20-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Nothin
krimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shedkrimson is one of the sharper tools in the shed
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
i made sure when i grounded it i grinded all the paint off. i have it grounded to once of the posts on my passenger seat cuz thats where the amp is, under the seat. i have no other place to put it... but im pretty sure its not my grounding...
If you can get a friend that has a amp and is willing to let you test it out and install it that would be the first thing i would do, to know if you're amp that is causing the problem or its something else.
Old 11-20-2010, 07:54 PM   #8

my bass and everything is set to 0 where it should be. and it cant be my amp... i hooked up the cd player from my old truck to the amp in this truck and my system worked....
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #9
Thermonuclear Protection
478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed478DblSport is one of the sharper tools in the shed

478DblSport's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSully72 View Post
How about a little more detail on where you grounded your amp. You say one of the posts of your passenger seat. You mean the bolt that secures the seat to the chassis right? If yes, where exactly did you grind paint from? The seat bracket that's part of the seat or the paint from the truck chassis? Make sure the ring terminal on your ground wire from the amp is solidly attached to the chassis.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
dolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to alldolbytone is a name known to all

dolbytone's Tacoma Gallery
Did you replace all of your audio cables as well?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #11

yes, i grounded my amp to one of the bolts that holds the seat in place... i took the paint off the chassis and the bottom of the foot of the seat. i have the ground wire going between the foot of the chair and the chassis with the bolt holding it all in place
Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolbytone View Post
Did you replace all of your audio cables as well?
no but they are all brand new... i mean i just bought them with the rest of my stuff... the only way they are used now is they were in when i blew my subs like a month or maybe a few weeks ago.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #13
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Could be blown voice coils. Try to push in the sub and see if they start working and when you let go they stop. I had some that did that to me a while back. Same symptoms as you are having.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
Nothin
krimson's Tacoma Gallery
Then it's you're Head unit that's causing the problem.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #15

my subs are brand new... i got a new pair becuase the old ones were blown... and besides thats not the case. i did try that... and also my cd player shouldnt be the issue... i got it brand new last night and installed it last night... could it be just my rca cable?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #16

oh and adding on to my reply to you kcrob1, like i said i used another cd player with my system and it worked just fine... =/. i hate to admit that it may be m y cd player.... but unless its my rca cable or a grounding issue, thats probably what it is...
Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #17
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds more like a signal problem from your head unit. Either your cables are bad, or the amp is bad. Does your amp power up? If so, then the power &/or ground is not the problem, I wired my amp ground to the same spot (seat bolt) and didn't grind any paint off and it works just fine.

Maybe try another set of cables? Or as stated before try another amp?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:23 PM   #18
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Oh I looked over that part... Then I guess the deck is going to be the issue. May be a defective pre-out then
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #19
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^This, if not the cables or the amp.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #20

well like i said i tried my amp using a different cd player and my system worked fine... its not my amp... so it must be my rca cables or my cd player...