LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Is Kenwood the only brand that uses Garmin GPS?

Old 11-23-2010, 05:25 AM   #1
KeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant future

KeithB's Tacoma Gallery
Is Kenwood the only brand that uses Garmin GPS?

The title says it. Most other brands don't mention the GPS system they use. Only Kenwood says GPS by Garmin. So, are there any others that use Garmin? I'm looking into getting a double din HU with BT, Nav, DVD, ipod, sat radio and definately like Garmin GPS so am I limited to only Kenwood HU's? Also, don't like the motorized screens so I'll have to stick with the smaller 6" screens which is fine. Any that you guys recommend? Looking at DNX6960
Old 11-23-2010, 05:40 AM   #2
65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed65tacodude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wade
65tacodude's Tacoma Gallery
You cant go wrong with Pioneer equipment...dont know what GPS they are using, but Ive always bought Pioneer and never any problems. I use my phone for GPS when I need it. You might be able to call the people at Crutchfield and they could possibly tell you???? Just a thought
Old 11-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
KeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant futureKeithB has a brilliant future

KeithB's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of reviews of Pioneer are great except for the Nav system. That's the only thing steering me away from Pioneer.

Anyone experience any rattles or broken motors on the 7" motorized screens? I like the bigger screen and cleaner look but not a fan of the motorized unit to access the DVD/CD slot. Still leaning toward Kenwood and 6" screen.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:35 PM   #4
ToyoDrew will become famous soon enoughToyoDrew will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
ToyoDrew's Tacoma Gallery
I have been wondering the same thing so I to finally figure out who is using what:

Kenwood's use Garmin

Pioneer's & Jenson's use TeleAtlas

Sony's use TomTom

Alpine's & JVC's use NavTeq

Dual's use NavAtlas

Rosen's use Nav-N-Go 8 (I've never heard of it)

Eclipse VN4430 uses TomTom, but I cannot find what their flagship (AVN726E) uses...it looks different than TomTom. All I can find is that updates are from Naviextras.com

I can't figure out what Clarion uses...but it looks great. Might actually be better than Garmin since it does the auto zooming AND it has 3D terrain (and buildings). But the big quetion is, does it have updated roads and POI's like Garmin does????
Old 11-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #5
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
Kenwood uses Garmin and only Kenwood. Navteq traffic on my 9960. What do you not like about motorized face units? I love mine for minimizing glare and getting the best angle for brightness.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
kristonex is on a distinguished road

kristonex's Tacoma Gallery
Good choice you won't be disappointed if you get that. I have installed about a half dozen various kenwood units like that one have never had any complaints or problems. If you have ever used one of the normal garmin units like you would stick on the window of your car, kenwood garmins work about 4 times faster and have all the normal map updates and firmware updates as you would get with any garmin product. Best ipod interface out there by far as well. Can't go wrong IMO.

Check out the dnx7160 Sounds like exactly what you are looking for to me. This is what i got in my ride I LOVE IT!