1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Just got my new Kenwood

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 03coma, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Dec 4, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    03coma

03coma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    Finally tossed the OEM Toyota radio from my 03 Taco and installed a Kenwood DPX-530. Sounds great, set up is kind of a bitch.. But that’s what the manual is for.

The next thing to change out are the door speakers. Anybody change out the door speakers?

What brands did you recommend?

2. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have Focal 165 KR for the front and Focal 165 CVX for the rear. Not installed because Ihave been deadening my truck for the past week. Looks like Wed everything will be installed. I have a DNX9960 Ijust pulled out but it was 10X better than stock even with factory speakers.

For cheap speakers I like Infinity.

3. Dec 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    dolbytone

dolbytone Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Off Road
    OMGWTFBBQCHIKEN I has Alpine/Kicker/JL/blahwhatever an they RAWK!!

Buy something good, don't go with Alpine/JL just because everybody else does... Take a sneak peek at slightly higher end stuff first at least. Focal (is it FOcal or FocAL? I hear it both ways) or Hertz Audio. Since you have a 1st Gen, be careful about mounting depth though.

4. Dec 5, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:

People go with JL, Alpine, etc.. because that's usually the best stuff around at the local retailers. I'm not going to spend hundreds of dollars on any name brand that I've never heard before.

I've read where people are happy with their Hertz speakers, but I'd like to hear them before I purchase.

5. Dec 13, 2010 at 2:15 PM
    KeithB

KeithB Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Cheshire, CT
    Vehicle:
    SWB '09 Tacoma DCSB Sport 4x4
    Wheels and Tires: 17x8" Ultra Goliath wheels with P285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3/W tires, Suspension: Fox coilovers set at 2", TC UCA's, 1.5" lift 3 leaf pack with overload left in Other: TRD SS exhaust, Pioneer AVIC 4100 H/U with Android Auto (awesomeness), sat radio bluetooth, Accessories: Toyota roof rack, black Toyota running board steps, cargo divider, weathertech floor liners, Literider roll up soft tonneau, thule bars over tonneau, USB ports front and rear, seat heaters, birddawg mirror riser Cosmetic: window tint, grillcraft black mesh upper/lower grill, vinyl armrest in doors, Clazzio black seat covers with blue stitch, Redline steering wheel wrap Lighting: fogs only mod, back up lights, amber interior accent lighting, amber 10" LED light bar in hood scoop, 33" LED bar behind the lower grill, amber lamin-x on fog lights, Tacomabeast headlights and matching tails.
    Do you need to buy a vehicle specific wiring harness to connect Kenwood HU to toyota factory speakers and power supply?

6. Dec 14, 2010 at 2:55 AM
    03coma

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    TRD Pro Grille, Skid Plate, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust System, 2017 Tacoma TRD Rims, ARE Series II Lid,
    yes Keith I got the wiring harness for tacoma, so I didnt have to cut any wires. just plug it into the factory plugs.

7. Dec 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    crutchfield is by far the easiest way to go ordering audio for your car. comes with dummy plugs, vehicle specific. a tard could install a stereo, speakers, sub/amp, etc when ordered from crutchfield.com. great customer service as well and hassle free returns if you're not satisfied with the product.

I prefer all ALPINE equipment.

8. Dec 14, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    03coma

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD, SR5
    Yea crutchfield is good, but for something small like a wiring harness it's not worth paying the shipping so I got it locally.
    I looked at the Alpine and Kenwood, I got more for my money going with the Kenwood, plus I was looking for a double din and the Alpine pricing is crazy on those.

I did go with an Alpine CDA-105 for my daughters civic.

9. Dec 14, 2010 at 8:44 AM
    Seabass

Seabass Give it to me. I'll break it for you

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    '06 Sport 4x4
    Just a bunch of old crap
    Crutchfield = full retail = no thanks

Amazon, bitches!

10. Dec 14, 2010 at 3:47 PM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    I originally went bought a kenwood unit for the tacoma and returned it after about a week. the unit was CD/MP3/Bluetooth and i had nothing but failures using the MP3 and bluetooth. every time i started my truck the unit would re-load my entire phone book of contacts and take almost 5 minutes to access audio. Also, making phone calls, I could hear whoever was on the other end, but no one could ever hear me and my mic was right in front of my face. I was also unhappy with the display on the kenwood as i could never see it due to extreme glare with even the littlest amount of light. I have always used Alpine units in the past and opted to go with the ALPINEiDA-x305s digital media receiver and i love it. I was unsure about how i would like the single din in the double din slot with the litle compartment but i actually like it a lot! In my experience i have been able to watch sales on crutchfield and actually get some really good deals. just my experience

11. Dec 20, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    shaneckc

shaneckc Fyntünd Designs Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR Package DCLB 4x4
    if you're not planning on adding an amp any time soon, i guarantee that the cheapest speakers that hertz makes will sound 10x better than most of the "OMGWTFBBQCHIKEN" you find. every car that i've put hertz speakers in has ROCKED (provided they recieve the right wattage, of course." running off of a head unit, try the deici 6.5" components for your front doors. should be able to get them for ~$100.

12. Dec 23, 2010 at 5:46 AM
    MamaTried

MamaTried Just a Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma DCLB TRD Sport
    None yet...
    Hey man,
    Do you have any pics of the installed unit? I'm looking into replacing my stock unit with a Kenwood DNX 6960. But trying to determine how/if it will fit.

Thanks.
    Jamie

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    Ska Himself

Ska Himself Well-Known Member

Member:
    Quick Question(s):

- Let me know how the 165's fit. I have an '04 and have been eying a pair of Focals for my truck but mounting depth is supposedly an issue. According to specs on Crutchfield, they don't fit in stock locations. According to Mr. Marv, there is barely enough space.

- Secondly, who/what did you use for deadening? I'm planning on tearing truck apart over a weekend in the spring/summer and going whole hog with raammat.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top