Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Anyone ever use an Audiovox FM Modulator?

Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Anyone ever use an Audiovox FM Modulator?

I am putting one in my dad's Infinity G35 because he does not have an aux port. Because the radio is so complex (has controls for everything), an aftermarket replacement would cost about $600 for the cheapest available (that's $550 just for the install and adapters). And the current radio works well so I hate to junk it.

Other than an FM Modulator, I don't see any other options. It does not have a tape deck either.

Any comments on the quality of a modulator?

For those that don't know, a modulator cuts off the signal from your antenna so you are not competing with the ota radio waves. It then sends it's own signal (via radio waves) to the radio station you have set. Because the antenna is cut off, you will not lose the station during travel.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

michaelg589's Tacoma Gallery
I just removed the one I had in my truck. It was an Audiovox FM modulator. I removed because I installed a real ipod adapter that I can control with my steering wheel controls. Also this new ipod adapter sounds 100 times better. The audiovox unit sounds very muffled. I always had to set my ipod to treble boost when connected. I used my phone and it sounded just as bad too. Lastly, I am certain the modulator interfered with my radio reception. I have always had terrible reception. I havnt been able to test if it has gotten any better with it removed. I literally JUST got done doing everything.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
michaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant futuremichaelg589 has a brilliant future

Here is the unit. If you dont already have one I wouldnt mind selling you this.... or maybe just give you it
Old 12-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
jdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shedjdtemple is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jdtemple's Tacoma Gallery
I had one in another car, and it worked great. I had zero expectations when I installed in for 3 reasons.

1. Factory Stereo
2. Factory Speakers
3. its an FM Signal

If you are looking for CD or HD radio quality, this is not for you.

If you listen to normal FM stations, and just want to hear your own play list or pod casts, this is a good solution.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

Just FYI my radio reception IS now much better without this installed.