Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

CB Radio Install

Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #1
Jon916996748 is on a distinguished road

Jon916996748's Tacoma Gallery
CB Radio Install

I was wondering if anyone had a CB radio installed in their taco? I've been thinking about installing a new stereo in my truck and since I will be freeing up one DIN, I will use that for a CB radio. My idea then is then to use the rear speakers as the output of my CB. I don't really need the two extra speakers since it's just an access cab and your options of CB's opens up some. Just wondering if anyone has done this or heard of someone doing this.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
So you wanna put a cb in the din pocket? Would like to see a cb that small.
heres a link of a cb install http://www.toyotanation.com/photos/s...y.php?cat=1154
Old 08-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #3

Not in the pocket, rather in the DIN itself. I'm more concerned with the electrical hookups needed for the rear speakers. Like this FZJ80:

Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
Founder Socaltacomas.com
SocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSocalMan22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve-0
SocalMan22's Tacoma Gallery
Ic that looks cool
Old 08-18-2008, 03:37 AM   #5
MikeS. will become famous soon enough

MikeS.'s Tacoma Gallery
CBs don't output sound in stereo. Wouldn't you have an ohm mismatch trying to output mono to 2 speakers?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 AM   #6
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon916996748 View Post
I was wondering if anyone had a CB radio installed in their taco? I've been thinking about installing a new stereo in my truck and since I will be freeing up one DIN, I will use that for a CB radio. My idea then is then to use the rear speakers as the output of my CB. I don't really need the two extra speakers since it's just an access cab and your options of CB's opens up some. Just wondering if anyone has done this or heard of someone doing this.
I dont think the output circuit in your CB would do well driving heavy-magneted stereo speakers. You could remove them and wire in two properly wound and magneted communications speakers which your local Radioshack should still carry for a nominal price
Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 AM   #7

Quote:
I dont think the output circuit in your CB would do well driving heavy-magneted stereo speakers. You could remove them and wire in two properly wound and magneted communications speakers which your local Radioshack should still carry for a nominal price
Yeah I know that would be a problem. I just don't know how the CB outputs its audio. I could build a small amplifier for it, that way my degree gets some use. I'm just not very familiar with the audio out of a CB and its inner workings.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon916996748 View Post
Yeah I know that would be a problem. I just don't know how the CB outputs its audio. I could build a small amplifier for it, that way my degree gets some use. I'm just not very familiar with the audio out of a CB and its inner workings.
Should be in the specifications under audio output then you'll see exactly where you're at. It should be around 2-4 watts @4 or 8ohms. Then you check the minimum input on those speakers -if it exeeds (this is where I came in) what your output is, you'll overload the audio circuit over time. I'm asuming those speakers you have are high output types.by the way you could simply connect an amp inline to the external speaker jack-same minimum input rules apply as above>)