1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Planning a simple build with JL Audio

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by 1FSTLS1, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Dec 26, 2010 at 8:32 AM
    1FSTLS1

1FSTLS1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2010 access cab and was thinking the stock is good but not enough volume. I have JL components in my camaro that are awesome so I was thinking the same for the truck. How do you guys think this setup would sound.

Stock Head unit

This JL amp: http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_18476_JL_Audio_3002v2.aspx

[​IMG]

powering these components in the front doors: http://carstereoworld.com/store/index.php?c=caraudio&n=226184&i=B002C59TKI&x=JL_AUDIO_C5_650

[​IMG]

Any one ever do anything similar with good results. Maybe the 10 box that fits in the back down the road.

2. Dec 26, 2010 at 11:46 AM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    I've tried using the stock head unit and adding a nice amp and speakers before, but it just ended up sounding like crap until I got a new head unit. You will be amplifying a crappy signal IMO.

You can't go wrong with JL audio though, its nice stuff. I put the JL C5s in my brothers truck and they sounded great.

3. Dec 26, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would definitely urge you to replace your headunit with an aftermarket one. A Double DIN touch screen would be best. I have not seen a adapter plate for a normal HU thats looks good.

JL amps are great, I have no experience with JL's components though.

The equpiment your going to buy so far is good. But to do all that work just to amplify a low quality signal is going to be a waste of time IMO. To make it work youre going to need to a lot of splicing into existing wires to run them to your amp. And unless the amplifier for the speakers in the stock system is external (not in the headunit), youre going to be sending an already amplified signal to your new JL amp. Which is no good.

4. Dec 26, 2010 at 3:06 PM
    1FSTLS1

Member:
    Sucks because I dont want to replace the stock HU.

I was wondering the same:

5. Dec 29, 2010 at 3:58 AM
    1FSTLS1

Member:
    Well I should have a nice JVC DD DVD player here on friday. Just need to get the wire kit and wait for the mounting kit. Then I will get the rest of my stuff

6. Dec 29, 2010 at 6:36 AM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Good decision

7. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:47 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    you can use a product like the JL clean sweep or that rockford fosgate thing to clean up the signal from the stock HU, but theyre expensive and don't offer all the options you get with an aftermarket HU.

8. Dec 30, 2010 at 5:28 AM
    1FSTLS1

Member:
    Yea I have also heard that people have problems with those and I figured if I am going to spend $150 on that may as well get the HU.

Products Discussed in

To Top