Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Question

Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 PM   #1
Frogdaddy is on a distinguished road

Frogdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Axxess Steering Wheel Control Interface Question

Anyone done this? How difficult is it? I can handle installing an aftermarket stereo if I have provided harnesses. But I'd be a rookie when it comes to soldering or splicing into the cars wire harness. I'll be installing a MVH-8200 with XM receiver. And I would miss the wheel controls. Will the Axxess harness replace the current radio/auto harness? Cause there will also be a Crutchfield supplied harness. Thoughts?
Thanks.

Bueller? Bueller?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
jloe is on a distinguished road
Name: john
jloe's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I hope you get an answer .I want to do the same thing. Scrap the lousy h/u it sucks. I'm doing all kinds of research on this now.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
Frogdaddy is on a distinguished road

Frogdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
I installed the above mentioned head unit. Nice unit. I returned the original because the bluetooth version went on sale and was less than the one without. Go figure.
It's great with bluetooth. At some point I'll get the Axxess steering wheel interface.
Right now it's all good. I installed the XM receiver in same location as the OEM would be. Better sound than stock that's for sure.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
onixxf is on a distinguished road
Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Fred
onixxf's Tacoma Gallery
Dudes, I’m currently in the process of installing the Axxess coupled with an AVIC X920BT. It’s all straight forward; however I’ve run into a minor set back. Axxess makes a harness exclusive to my or your vehicle but you may have to call them and ask. I learned this after purchasing from Crutchfield. Axxess’s web site gives me one color of wire to solder in but the manual that came with the device gives a different one. I’ll solve the mystery today and I’ll post and let you know of the ease if all works. Pioneer only require that I plug the 3.5 jack into the remote female receptor on the back of the unit, “this 3.5 is hard wired into the Axxess harness.” It’s supposed to self detect but I’ve yet to get power to the device but once again if I’ve used the wrong wire it make sense as to why I’m getting nowhere. Once again I’ll post and let you know. The harness associated with the steering wheel controls only has 3 wires, “I’m working in a 05 Tacoma X-Runner” Pending on your vehicle, yours may differ. Two wires are to be soldered to the Axxess unit and the third wire of the truck’s harness is to be grounded. There is a red wire from the Axxess unit that should be connected to a switched source, “I used the same red wire from the head unit and my XM unit and a black wire that’s a ground, and once again I used the ground for the main head unit. Bottom line is you connect 4 wires from the Axxess unit and plug one in depending on your head unit. Of the vehicle’s harness - ground the third and it should work but I’ll see!
Old 06-12-2011, 11:51 PM   #5
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
genxer36's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onixxf View Post
Dudes, I’m currently in the process of installing the Axxess coupled with an AVIC X920BT. It’s all straight forward; however I’ve run into a minor set back. Axxess makes a harness exclusive to my or your vehicle but you may have to call them and ask. I learned this after purchasing from Crutchfield. Axxess’s web site gives me one color of wire to solder in but the manual that came with the device gives a different one. I’ll solve the mystery today and I’ll post and let you know of the ease if all works. Pioneer only require that I plug the 3.5 jack into the remote female receptor on the back of the unit, “this 3.5 is hard wired into the Axxess harness.” It’s supposed to self detect but I’ve yet to get power to the device but once again if I’ve used the wrong wire it make sense as to why I’m getting nowhere. Once again I’ll post and let you know. The harness associated with the steering wheel controls only has 3 wires, “I’m working in a 05 Tacoma X-Runner” Pending on your vehicle, yours may differ. Two wires are to be soldered to the Axxess unit and the third wire of the truck’s harness is to be grounded. There is a red wire from the Axxess unit that should be connected to a switched source, “I used the same red wire from the head unit and my XM unit and a black wire that’s a ground, and once again I used the ground for the main head unit. Bottom line is you connect 4 wires from the Axxess unit and plug one in depending on your head unit. Of the vehicle’s harness - ground the third and it should work but I’ll see!
Go with the website & not the book. The website is for your vehicle, the book is just in general. Once I connected the 3 wires it programmed itself & has worked flawless.

I installed that a few weeks ago & had to splice 3 wires from the axxess box. One was Green/Orange, red for power & the 3rd may have been black or brown for the ground.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:04 PM   #6
onixxf's Tacoma Gallery
Bro, had some major issue; could not get the unit to power up. Mind you this was the second one I’ve tried with. I did everything according to the instructions including using the instructions from the website but no power with either unit so I called the tech center in FL for help. Cat named Billy talked me through a few steps but still no power, even with jumping the unit from the battery no luck! He told me to send it back and he would replace it and send the vehicle specific harness for my X-Runner. I don’t know what I did or did not do but we’ll see once the new parts come. If you can tell me of something you think I could have done incorrectly do tell!

Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Lord of Tomfoolery
genxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shedgenxer36 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Bro, had some major issue; could not get the unit to power up. Mind you this was the second one Iíve tried with. I did everything according to the instructions including using the instructions from the website but no power with either unit so I called the tech center in FL for help. Cat named Billy talked me through a few steps but still no power, even with jumping the unit from the battery no luck! He told me to send it back and he would replace it and send the vehicle specific harness for my X-Runner. I donít know what I did or did not do but weíll see once the new parts come. If you can tell me of something you think I could have done incorrectly do tell!
Which axxess box did you have?

I had this one, the ASWC. I connected 3 of the wires only to my truck. red,black, & a green one with an orange stripe. Once I had the correct green wire, mine worked fine. I used the instructions from the axxess website for my vehicle. Not the book it came with.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
onixxf's Tacoma Gallery
Same 1

Bro, that's the same one I had - twice. I could not get either of them to power up! I'm sending it to the company in FL today, they will send a new one with vehicle specific harnes so I hope it works this third time. I can't understand what I did wrong.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #9
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Bro, that's the same one I had - twice. I could not get either of them to power up! I'm sending it to the company in FL today, they will send a new one with vehicle specific harnes so I hope it works this third time. I can't understand what I did wrong.
When I first installed mine I wired it wrong & it wasn't working. I had wired the orange wire with the green stripe, when it should have been the green wire with the orange stripe. Once I fixed it, it worked. When it was wired wrong I wasn't getting any power.

When you wired it. What wires did you connect?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:58 PM   #10
onixxf's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, I did it both ways with the first unit and nothing. With the second one I did it the way you explained when you got it to work but still I got nothing. The tech recommended that I take the Toyota wire, "white with red stripe" and ground it to the chassis separately from the radio grounds. I did that and still nothing. I couldn't jump either unit off the battery in an attempt to get them to power up. Either I’m stupid and couldn’t see my obvious mistake “in my face” or something just wasn’t right with two consecutive units. I think this highly probable so chances are I simply didn’t catch my fault twice. I’ll know once I receive the third unit with the harness for my X-Runner. All plug and play. I have prepped the red and black wired for direct connection soon as I receive it so we’ll see!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Dude, I did it both ways with the first unit and nothing. With the second one I did it the way you explained when you got it to work but still I got nothing. The tech recommended that I take the Toyota wire, "white with red stripe" and ground it to the chassis separately from the radio grounds. I did that and still nothing. I couldn't jump either unit off the battery in an attempt to get them to power up. Either Iím stupid and couldnít see my obvious mistake ďin my faceĒ or something just wasnít right with two consecutive units. I think this highly probable so chances are I simply didnít catch my fault twice. Iíll know once I receive the third unit with the harness for my X-Runner. All plug and play. I have prepped the red and black wired for direct connection soon as I receive it so weíll see!
Good luck on 3 times a charm. Let us know the outcome.

Or if this doesn't work, I would have a stereo shop install it. Let the stress of getting it to work be on them.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:47 PM   #12
amoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to beholdamoomaw is a splendid one to behold

Name: moomaw
amoomaw's Tacoma Gallery
Hey guys, I just got my axxess steering wheel control stuff today in the mail. I've hooked up the red pos. to the remote wire/ black to the ground/ green w/orange to the 7pin, and black w/green to the 8 pin in the existing remote control 12pin of my truck(2011 tacoma). I'm running it to a pioneer 4300dvd using the 3.5mm jack into the correct port on the back of the stereo. All I'm getting is a red light for about 2-3seconds on the intereface mod. and then it goes out. Nothing else after that, and the controls don't work. Also, I have a second hole that looks to be the resest button, but their is no button? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #13
Lord of Tomfoolery

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoomaw View Post
Hey guys, I just got my axxess steering wheel control stuff today in the mail. I've hooked up the red pos. to the remote wire/ black to the ground/ green w/orange to the 7pin, and black w/green to the 8 pin in the existing remote control 12pin of my truck(2011 tacoma). I'm running it to a pioneer 4300dvd using the 3.5mm jack into the correct port on the back of the stereo. All I'm getting is a red light for about 2-3seconds on the intereface mod. and then it goes out. Nothing else after that, and the controls don't work. Also, I have a second hole that looks to be the resest button, but their is no button? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Try disconnecting the black/green. I don't think I connected that one. I think I only connected the red, the ground, & the green orange. The axxess website has better instructions for our truck than the book does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by genxer36 View Post
Which axxess box did you have?

I had this one, the ASWC. I connected 3 of the wires only to my truck. red,black, & a green one with an orange stripe. Once I had the correct green wire, mine worked fine. I used the instructions from the axxess website for my vehicle. Not the book it came with.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #14
Taco Sauce
Yota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of lightYota Toy is a glorious beacon of light
Yota Toy's Tacoma Gallery
I installed mine a while back and used a write up on this forum, it worked on the first try. I don't remember the exact details or the pin numbers but it was a total of 5 wires that needed to be connected, it was something like:

Power to the ASWC (accessory power, I used the AMP remote wire from the new head unit)
Ground to the ASWC
Vehicle violet/white to ASWC green/orange
Vehicle yellow/black to ASWC black/green
Vehicle white/red to ground

Here is the post I followed: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...ml#post3108771
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
onixxf's Tacoma Gallery
Bro, I went through 2 units before I got it right. My problem was the manufacturer had a bad batch of units. I called a technicians and one of them walked me through the process while in my truck. My problem was the unit would not power up. They asked me to send it directly to them in Florida and they tested it, determined it was one from the bad batch. Not only did they replace it but they sent the specific harness for my X-runner (Tacoma). Turned out soldering on the board inside the unit had not been completed causing the problems. Upon receiving the new I installed it making certain I had the correct power wire connected to the right place. It worked flawlessly after installing it and continues to function with precision. Yours sounds like it could be one from that same batch. I couldn’t reset mine as well, it simply would not respond. Call them, explain your problem and let them know that you know of a bad batch at one time. They should help you out!