1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Component Tweeter Install in Reg Cab Door

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by elroyyboy, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    elroyyboy

elroyyboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    2015, Magnetic Gray, Tacoma Double Cab, TRD Off Road, 4x4
    Hi,
    Wife bought me a decent Kenwood deck and some JL Audio VR525-CSi component speakers for the doors for my birthday. Of course, Crutchfield had a great price ($30 better than Best Buy) and it was on the doorstep in two days w/ free kit and no tax.

I've read Mr. Marv's sticky thread about door speaker installs and see some nifty little MDF tweeter mounts. I'm wondering where to get them (didn't see them on *********, or a link on Mr Marv's post), or if I can just trace the bolt pattern from factory mount onto 1/2 mdf and drill a hole for the tweeter and glue it in?

Also, seems like a lot of folks are putting crossovers inside door panels, but JL Audio instructions specifically warn against that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    im pretty sure mr. marv sells em, if not, i bought mine as a set (door adapters and tweeter mounts) off of ebay.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  3. Dec 30, 2010 at 8:37 AM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    My tweeters come with a mount that holds the tweeter with screw from the back. If your tweeter has this you simply use some custom bent metal pieces to create a mount. Just a piece of ladder type metal with 4 bends works as well as the original mount.

4. Dec 31, 2010 at 7:56 PM
    elroyyboy

elroyyboy [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Lexington, KY
    Vehicle:
    2015, Magnetic Gray, Tacoma Double Cab, TRD Off Road, 4x4
    Thanks guys,
    I traced the factory mount onto 1/2 plywood, cut a 1 1/2" hole in the middle, superglued the tweeter into the hole and I'm in business. Finally got it all back together after mis wiring the left crossover, #*%(&@!!!!
    Sounds great in the Yoder!

Products Discussed in

To Top