Notices

Component Tweeter Install in Reg Cab Door

Old 12-29-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
elroyyboy is on a distinguished road
Army:
elroyyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Component Tweeter Install in Reg Cab Door

Hi,
Wife bought me a decent Kenwood deck and some JL Audio VR525-CSi component speakers for the doors for my birthday. Of course, Crutchfield had a great price ($30 better than Best Buy) and it was on the doorstep in two days w/ free kit and no tax.

I've read Mr. Marv's sticky thread about door speaker installs and see some nifty little MDF tweeter mounts. I'm wondering where to get them (didn't see them on tacotunes, or a link on Mr Marv's post), or if I can just trace the bolt pattern from factory mount onto 1/2 mdf and drill a hole for the tweeter and glue it in?

Also, seems like a lot of folks are putting crossovers inside door panels, but JL Audio instructions specifically warn against that.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
My tweeters come with a mount that holds the tweeter with screw from the back. If your tweeter has this you simply use some custom bent metal pieces to create a mount. Just a piece of ladder type metal with 4 bends works as well as the original mount.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
elroyyboy is on a distinguished road
Army:
elroyyboy's Tacoma Gallery
Component Speaker Install

Thanks guys,
I traced the factory mount onto 1/2 plywood, cut a 1 1/2" hole in the middle, superglued the tweeter into the hole and I'm in business. Finally got it all back together after mis wiring the left crossover, #*%(&@!!!!
Sounds great in the Yoder!