Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Sub Opinions for 2011 DC - Opinions Needed

Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Snypar is on a distinguished road
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
Sub Opinions for 2011 DC - Opinions Needed

I just sold my 2006 DC for a 2011 DC 4x4. I had built a custom box for the 2006 and it had 2 10" RF Punch 2s. It sounded good, but I want more SQ and SPL now. I just purchased a JL 900/5, Boston comps for front and coax for rear. I will run my subs off the 500w sub channel.
I have done a ton of research on the forums and the internet. These are the subs that are in my price range and have the mounting depth that I can work with. Please give me your input and if you personally have them and/or have heard them. I will build a custom enclosure to the specs of my sub choice.
My thoughts are:

1 13" JL 13tw5 - Shallow mount scares me, but reviews are good.
2 10" Image Dynamics ID or IDQs, is there a big upgrade in the IDQ from ID?
2 10" Memphis 15-MCP10D4 - This is the M Class

I thought about 2 10" JL W0 or W1s, but think the ID and/or memphis are probably better, right? The W3s are too deep for my build.

Thanks for the input!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #2
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
i got a jl audio 10 w7 and its a real champ i recomend it
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
ToyoDrew will become famous soon enoughToyoDrew will become famous soon enough

Air Force:
ToyoDrew's Tacoma Gallery
There is no way a w7 will fit in a DC unless you take out the rear seats! lol

I'd go with the IDQ (because that is what I decided to do too). It has had glowing reviews everywhere I have looked...good sensitivity, excursion, and power handling...all in a fairly small package that is much cheaper than the JL Audio.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
I went with idq 12s
Old 01-04-2011, 06:17 AM   #5
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
So assuming you're building the box and that cost is irrelevant, how much are you looking to spend on subwoofer drivers? And how much enclosure volume do you have at your disposal for each sub? What's your max depth too?
Old 01-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
The last custom box I built had 5.5" of depth and .5 cubic feet per. It had to accommodate an amp rack for my RF POWER 750x. It fit perfect. The IDQs are 5.75" deep and I think I can expand to accommodate those, but nothing larger.
Since my new JL 900/5 is smaller than my older RF Power amp, I should also be able to get about .7 cubic feet per.
My budget is about $350-$400 for the subs.
I found right now: the ID is $160, IDQ v2 is $160, and the IDQ v3 is $240. I could maybe spring for the IDQ v3 if 'necessary'. I dont need the removable core and all that though.
I'm just torn between the original options in my post:
1 13" JL 13tw5 - Shallow mount scares me, but reviews are good.
2 10" Image Dynamics ID or IDQs, is there a big upgrade in the IDQ from ID? What about IDQ v2 vs v3?
2 10" Memphis 15-MCP10D4 - This is the M Class

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I see you're in fort worth. I'm in Irving (las Colinas). Want to meet up and I'll let you hear something? I have a pair of 8's that I just installed last night that I'm enjoying so far. I think you could fit a pair of the 10's no problem. Depth would work, price is right, and if you like the way the 8's sound the tens will do even better.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:42 AM   #8
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
ItalynStylion... Absolutely want to take you up on that offer. I will PM you to sched that.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Super Mod!
BlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
BlueTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
The one seat the comes down
Old 01-04-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
The ? is
Dbl Taco is on a distinguished road

Dbl Taco's Tacoma Gallery
i got 3 jl w0's 10" in my truck sounds great not alot of deep bass but overall sounds good though
Old 01-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
LOL.. I'm like Al Bundy, married with Child I guess since I know about this, that makes me kinda old too then. I had to custom build my last box because I had to leave access to the child restraints. here is a pic of my last box. I have more space now that she's older and I don't have to have the child restraints. That being said, I still have to have the entire back seat available. I also LOVE the under seat storage but will use every cubic inch behind the seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Sub Opinions for 2011 DC - Opinions Needed-picture-008-1.jpg   Sub Opinions for 2011 DC - Opinions Needed-picture-007-1.jpg  
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
Sounds Gooooood

Pic didn't show up. At least not for me.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:12 PM   #13
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
ive made up my mind..
I took the plastic backing off the seats today and that gives quite abit of extra room. I will be building a custom box and going with 2 JL W3v3 10"s. They should sound veddy nice. After the subs are mounted, I might be just carve out the bottom of the plastic seat back that protrudes where the sub resides and put it back on.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypar View Post
ive made up my mind..
I took the plastic backing off the seats today and that gives quite abit of extra room. I will be building a custom box and going with 2 JL W3v3 10"s. They should sound veddy nice. After the subs are mounted, I might be just carve out the bottom of the plastic seat back that protrudes where the sub resides and put it back on.
Don't forget you can move your seat latches to the second set of holes to give you another 1.5 inches back there.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
Sounds Gooooood

Listen to mumbels...when you move to the second latch there is more room than even taking off the plastic would yield.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
jl audio w0s you can run the two on a 250 watt amp no problem
i have the two 12s runing of a 250
Old 01-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
plus the sound quality is great
Old 01-05-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
I did 1 8" polk sub in mine. Don't know how much bass you want, but mine sounds awesome. I would do 2 8" subs if I were you... Heres my box
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #19
Choot It!
kcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkcrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
kcrob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmumbels View Post
Don't forget you can move your seat latches to the second set of holes to give you another 1.5 inches back there.
Didn't know that. Thanks!!! I will be doing this tomorrow
Old 01-06-2011, 12:17 AM   #20
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snypar View Post
ive made up my mind..
good choice and good luck with the build. the W3's are great sounding subs. put 1000 watts to them and you will be VERY happy.