1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SWI JACK install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by pcledrew, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Jan 8, 2011 at 9:23 PM
    pcledrew

pcledrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    Wanting to get input from anyone who has installed an after market deck and a steering wheel audio adapter. The one I'm looking at would be used with a kenwood deck. Is there splicing or in depth wiring involved? Anything hard to "undo"?

Anyone with experience with these adapters feel free to speak up. Thanks.

2. Jan 9, 2011 at 12:17 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    About to install one myself, and from everything I have read they work fine and are reliable. I wouldn't sweat it.

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 11:30 PM
    Cuda444

Cuda444 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New England
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off-Road
    Access Limited Bed Cover, URD Short Shift Kit, 25% Tint all around, WeatherTechs, Kenwood DNX-6160, 2 - IDQ10 sub, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5's, JL 500/1, JL 300/2, Mr.Marv Enclosure/Amp Rack, Morimoto Stage III Retro Headlights, Blazer Fog Retro
    It's relatively easy. If you are comfortable installing an aftermarket head-unit you should be fine. Programming is a bit of a pain, but just follow the instructions and you'll be good to go. Plenty of good info on this site about the install, too.

4. Jan 10, 2011 at 3:30 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    I put one in a couple of months ago. You only need to hook up 4 wires- the harness has a lot of extra ones you don't need. The instructions are a little unclear. There are some good install threads on this subject- have a look.

I just ordered a new adapter from called Axxess ASWC. I haven't had a chance to install it yet. It has 3 advantages over SWI-JACK. It claims to auto program by recognizing your vehicle; It claims to not have the short time delay between pressing a button and having your volume changed; It claims to have non-volatile memory- it does not need reprogramming every time you disconnect the battery. I'll let you guys know how it works after I put it in.

5. Jan 10, 2011 at 3:43 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I installed the Axxess one, yes it will autoprogram at least for the X920 pioneer, but I added the right side steering wheel buttons and had to program it by hand for those buttons to work right. Button touch is faster than a SWI unit I had in before this one.

6. Jan 10, 2011 at 12:11 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    a DIY is in the stickies

Products Discussed in

To Top