1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Access cab box for 2 - 10's

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by the arkitect, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:10 PM
    the arkitect

the arkitect [OP] I will gladly pay you on Tuesday...

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    I haven't seen anyone make a box like this before, so I figured I would post some pics.

I started with:
    -4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF
    -bottle of gorilla glue
    -2 cans of black krylon fusion and some clear (very bad choice!)
    -speaker terminals (another bad choice, but live and learn, right)
    -screws for blocking and mounting the subs

Final Product:
    [​IMG]

Updated final install:
    [​IMG]

I started out by making a cardboard template to get all the dimensions right. I'm 6'-3" so i didn't want to loose any space at the steering wheel, and I wanted the top of the box level with the jump seat and still be able to get to the storage under the seats.

The right dimensions for me are (these arn't exact, I'm just remembering off the top of my head. For exact dimensions you will have to go measure yourself:notsure:):
    jump seat length-51"
    seat height-8 1/2"
    box depth @ floor-12 1/2"
    box depth @ top-8 1/2"
    box angle 17.5 degrees

After I made my templates I cut out all of pieces from my sheet of MDF, and started gluing it all up. Quick tip, a 4x8 sheet is actually 49" in width so you can rip all of you long pieces first and then put the side panels on to get really close to 51".
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I screwed in some blocking pieces to clamp against, I took those out once the glue set. I use gorilla glue because it expands as it sets, so there's no need put sealant on the inside of the box afterwards unless you're an extreme audiophile or just a little anal. Plus this stuff gives snapple a run for their money as being the best stuff on earth.:headbang:

[​IMG]

All glued up and ready for a test fit.

[​IMG]

Now that the hard work is out of the way, all you have to do is sand and finish it, wire the subs in, and install all of it in the truck. Easy, right.:laugh:

I did the majority of sanding w/ 60 grit and finished off with 100 grit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sanding done, ready for paint. Rattle can was a STUPID IDEA:facepalm:. I've seen others do it and it never comes out looking good, but why should I learn from that? I'd rather be a momentary moron, MDF+rattle can=:crapstorm:.

After painted,
    [​IMG]
    I put the speakers in, but I was really tired at this point and my drill slipped when i was screwing in one of the speakers
    [​IMG]

It was a blessing in disguise b/c the terminal for that side of the box from rapioshit didn't enguage the speaker wire. All of the components are old, so a busted speaker isn't that big a deal. It's just more annoying than anything else.

The system sounds really good with only one 10, but I can't wait until my Audiobahn ALUM10n's and Hifonics HiFi1500 show up so I can fix all of my screw ups:yay:.

Let me know what ya'll think.

2. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:16 PM
    MurphMan

MurphMan Senility Rocks!

Member:
    First Name:
    Murph
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tacoma TRD Sport
    * AFE Stage 2 XP CAI System * Westin Platinum Series Black Step Bars * TruXedo Lo Pro QT Soft Roll-Up Tonneau * Dee Zee Heavyweight Truck Bed Mat * WeatherTech Extreme-Duty Floor Liners * WeatherTech In-Channel Window Visors * Sony Xplod CDX-GT81UW Receiver * Sony Xplod 2-way speakers * Boss Audio BASS600 Amplified Subwoofer * Billet Grille Mod
    I like it! Front firing bass - talk about those good good good vibrations! lol! That should sound really good and uses otherwise useless space. I do agree on the rattlecan, doesn't have a chance on mdf. Ever thought about gray carpeting to cover it?

3. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Turned out good :thumbsup:

4. Jan 10, 2011 at 5:23 PM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    They're actually down-firing subs (increase in db without the annoyance of a vibrating rear view). I'm trying to decide whether i will carpet it or use some latex paint. I didn't want to do carpet in the first place b/c i've never done any upholstery work before. Anyone have any upholstery tips?

5. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    soundguy1975

soundguy1975 New Member

Member:
    Central PA
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4 SR5
    Custom Stereo
    I did the same type of box for my old '99 S-10. I liked it because I ended up with a nice flat surface behind the seats. I guess great minds think alike! LOL! I carpeted mine, but trust me, you don't want my advice...it looked awful!

6. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:18 PM
    scott572011

scott572011 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    SCOTT
    SO-CAL.
    Vehicle:
    THE RELENTLESS PRUIST....
    BF GOODRICH T/A ko, BILSTEIN HDs, AMERICAN RACING RAZOR`S 16X7.5, READYLIFT SST HYBRID LIFT SYSTEMS, ALTEC LANSING AUDIO,DREGS OF THE EARTH SYSTEMS,WOLF EYES,SUREFIRE ILLUMINATION TOOLS,HK-PROTECTION!!. POP LOCK, SHORTY ANTENNA, TACO TENT #3,. NITECORE ILLUMINATION, FENIX FLASHLITES. STILL PROTECTOR`S, FACTORY BED MAT, CUSTOM BED WEB, INTRO-TECH INTRO-GUARD CUSTOM TRUCK COVER, CENTER CONSOLE LOCK MOD, TECH-SHADE M1068, WEATHER-TECH CLEAR-COVER`S, OEM MINI TIE-DOWNS, TRUCK BEDZ AIR MATTRESS EXPEDITION SERIES, McGARD TOUGH NUTS WHEEL LOCK`S, DISABLE SEAT/BELT CHIME MOD, GARMIN GPS, KERSHAW BLADE`S, SKELETOOL, WEATHER-TECH FLOORLINER DIGITAL-FIT GRAY # 461781, NITE(IZE) KNOT-BONE ADJUSTABLE BUNGEE SYSTEM, WET OKole SEAT COVERS, UNDER DASH FLYZEYE BW LED LIGHT W/CUSTOM BLUE HALOS. NITECORE IFE1 INFILUX ILLUMINATION SYSTEM. JETBEAM BC-10 HANDHELD, HK VP-70Z 9mm PROTECTION!. JETBEAM PC-10 550 LUMEN ILLUMINATION SYSTEM. SUREFIRE E2D-LED-DEFENDER ULTRA 500 LUMENS KICK ASS ILLUMINATION...VIPER ALARM SYSTEM`S,ROCKFORD FOSGATE POWER COMPONENT SYSTEM`S.KENWOOD AUDIO/VIDEO,HUSHMAT SOUND DEADENING INSULATION,3M AUTOMOTIVE FILMS.
    Ah, looks great but need to hear the pump!!!. what kind RMS are we driving.:cool:

7. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Awesome job!! Looks like a fun project.

8. Jan 18, 2011 at 7:30 PM
    907taco

907taco Alaskan Assassin

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2010 BlackSandPearl 4x4
    ultimate lift kit ( toytec ) ome dakar leaf pack , w/ extended length billies, LR uca's, Pro comp 7089s, KM2's 285 70 17, neoprene seat covers, weather techs, CBI sliders w/kickout, URD ss, cab mount chop, VHT night shade tint>tails,3rd B-light. Debadged. Grillecraft grille, rear diff breather mod. CBI Moab front bumper, warn M8000 winch, HID kragens 7", Hella's micro fogs. retrofit headlights HIDS, LED solutions maps/license! 886 back up light mod,
    i was thinking about doing the same thing this summer, i was going to gut up my entire rear end but i like this idea alot better. do you mind sending me measurements of your dimensions ? not sue if i can do a ported box as i am not a expert but a sealed box wouldn't be to much for me...great job man !

9. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Thanks for the compliments peeps. I'll post up some pics tonight of the final install with the new components. :gossip: Subs are 800 watts RMS and the amp is running 1250 watts @ 1.5 ohms :bananadance:

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I've gotten a couple requests for dimensions. If you would like them, PM me and I will try to get a sketchup model built of it this weekend and email it out to you. Sketchup is free and you can download it here: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/download/index.html

10. Jan 19, 2011 at 6:05 AM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Trying to nickname the system, you guys help me pick:
    1. The Truth
    2. The Dirty Look
    3. The Stank Eye

11. Jan 20, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Got some pics of the final install, it sounds great once i did some fine tuning to the amp.

Final install in the truck
    [​IMG]

The sub face plate was too tall for the recess in the box so my quick fix was to throw some 2x4's under each end, i'll fix it permanently later
    [​IMG]

It was a tight fit
    [​IMG]

Had to take some carpet out to get the amp to fit under the seat
    [​IMG]

12. Jan 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    The end result looks very good.
    How do you like the sound of the 10s firing downwards?

Also, nice job on the carpeting - color match and workmanship. Is it pretty straightfwd to do?

13. Jan 20, 2011 at 7:33 PM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    I'm making one of these! I shall be asking you for demensions.

14. Jan 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    i bet they hit hard especially since theyre downfiring !

15. Jan 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    This is my third system, but the first one that i've done with downfiring subs. It sounds the best by far. There are a lot less parts to rattle when the sound waves are traveling up and down vs front to back.

The carpeting was surprisingly easy if you keep the seams on the ends. It's just run of the mill automotive fabric from Wally World.

16. Jan 20, 2011 at 9:17 PM
    tc98tacoma

tc98tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nik
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98tacoma4x4
    3inch toytec coils 5100's, aal(soon to be replaced), 33/12.5 km2s, + a money hole...
    i have one 12 in mine i have a grill on it so i face it down right in the middle between the little seats in the back cause i still sit people back there every day but down firing lot louder and sounds better too
    im getting a fiberglass box made soon im gonna have two twelves im goin to bore out where the storage boxes are and put the 12s down there with the wood on the top so i can still sit people on top of it kno what im saying?

17. Jan 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    What kind of subs are you going to run?

18. Jan 21, 2011 at 7:22 AM
    sam_i02

sam_i02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Samir
    Kanata, Ontario
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner AccessCab
    BHLM, Satoshi grill, D-rings, Relentless Fab recovery shackle, DRL, Firestone RideRite airbags, WO seatcovers, added temp gauge, custom interior lights.
    okay thanks. I will have to flip my sub over one of these day and see how it sounds. If me likely, will have to change the box design I have been hashing out.
    Good info on the fabric. I will check out wallyworld

19. May 9, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    the arkitect

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Got some more requests for dimensions so here ya go, hope this helps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Click on the pictures to enlarge them and actually be able to see the dimensions.

Products Discussed in

To Top