Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Access cab box for 2 - 10's

Old 01-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #1
I will gladly pay you on Tuesday...
the arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to behold

the arkitect's Tacoma Gallery
Access cab box for 2 - 10's

I haven't seen anyone make a box like this before, so I figured I would post some pics.

I started with:
-4x8 sheet of 3/4" MDF
-bottle of gorilla glue
-2 cans of black krylon fusion and some clear (very bad choice!)
-speaker terminals (another bad choice, but live and learn, right)
-screws for blocking and mounting the subs

Final Product:

Updated final install:

I started out by making a cardboard template to get all the dimensions right. I'm 6'-3" so i didn't want to loose any space at the steering wheel, and I wanted the top of the box level with the jump seat and still be able to get to the storage under the seats.

The right dimensions for me are (these arn't exact, I'm just remembering off the top of my head. For exact dimensions you will have to go measure yourself):
jump seat length-51"
seat height-8 1/2"
box depth @ floor-12 1/2"
box depth @ top-8 1/2"
box angle 17.5 degrees

After I made my templates I cut out all of pieces from my sheet of MDF, and started gluing it all up. Quick tip, a 4x8 sheet is actually 49" in width so you can rip all of you long pieces first and then put the side panels on to get really close to 51".

I screwed in some blocking pieces to clamp against, I took those out once the glue set. I use gorilla glue because it expands as it sets, so there's no need put sealant on the inside of the box afterwards unless you're an extreme audiophile or just a little anal. Plus this stuff gives snapple a run for their money as being the best stuff on earth.

All glued up and ready for a test fit.

Now that the hard work is out of the way, all you have to do is sand and finish it, wire the subs in, and install all of it in the truck. Easy, right.

I did the majority of sanding w/ 60 grit and finished off with 100 grit.

Sanding done, ready for paint. Rattle can was a STUPID IDEA. I've seen others do it and it never comes out looking good, but why should I learn from that? I'd rather be a momentary moron, MDF+rattle can=.

After painted,

I put the speakers in, but I was really tired at this point and my drill slipped when i was screwing in one of the speakers

It was a blessing in disguise b/c the terminal for that side of the box from rapioshit didn't enguage the speaker wire. All of the components are old, so a busted speaker isn't that big a deal. It's just more annoying than anything else.

The system sounds really good with only one 10, but I can't wait until my Audiobahn ALUM10n's and Hifonics HiFi1500 show up so I can fix all of my screw ups.

Let me know what ya'll think.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Senility Rocks!
MurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedMurphMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
MurphMan's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! Front firing bass - talk about those good good good vibrations! lol! That should sound really good and uses otherwise useless space. I do agree on the rattlecan, doesn't have a chance on mdf. Ever thought about gray carpeting to cover it?
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM   #4
the arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to beholdthe arkitect is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphMan View Post
I like it! Front firing bass - talk about those good good good vibrations! lol! That should sound really good and uses otherwise useless space. I do agree on the rattlecan, doesn't have a chance on mdf. Ever thought about gray carpeting to cover it?
They're actually down-firing subs (increase in db without the annoyance of a vibrating rear view). I'm trying to decide whether i will carpet it or use some latex paint. I didn't want to do carpet in the first place b/c i've never done any upholstery work before. Anyone have any upholstery tips?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
soundguy1975 is on a distinguished road
soundguy1975's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same type of box for my old '99 S-10. I liked it because I ended up with a nice flat surface behind the seats. I guess great minds think alike! LOL! I carpeted mine, but trust me, you don't want my advice...it looked awful!
Old 01-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
MMMMM Taco's
Taco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco-NB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Taco-NB's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome job!! Looks like a fun project.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:30 PM   #8
Alaskan Assassin
907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed907taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bobby
907taco's Tacoma Gallery
i was thinking about doing the same thing this summer, i was going to gut up my entire rear end but i like this idea alot better. do you mind sending me measurements of your dimensions ? not sue if i can do a ported box as i am not a expert but a sealed box wouldn't be to much for me...great job man !
Old 01-19-2011, 06:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott572011 View Post
Ah, looks great but need to hear the pump!!!. what kind RMS are we driving.
Thanks for the compliments peeps. I'll post up some pics tonight of the final install with the new components. Subs are 800 watts RMS and the amp is running 1250 watts @ 1.5 ohms

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I've gotten a couple requests for dimensions. If you would like them, PM me and I will try to get a sketchup model built of it this weekend and email it out to you. Sketchup is free and you can download it here: http://sketchup.google.com/intl/en/download/index.html
Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 AM   #10

Trying to nickname the system, you guys help me pick:
1. The Truth
2. The Dirty Look
3. The Stank Eye
Old 01-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #11

Got some pics of the final install, it sounds great once i did some fine tuning to the amp.

Final install in the truck

The sub face plate was too tall for the recess in the box so my quick fix was to throw some 2x4's under each end, i'll fix it permanently later

It was a tight fit

Had to take some carpet out to get the amp to fit under the seat
Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
The end result looks very good.
How do you like the sound of the 10s firing downwards?

Also, nice job on the carpeting - color match and workmanship. Is it pretty straightfwd to do?
Old 01-20-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'm making one of these! I shall be asking you for demensions.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #14
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i bet they hit hard especially since theyre downfiring !
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_i02 View Post
The end result looks very good.
How do you like the sound of the 10s firing downwards?

Also, nice job on the carpeting - color match and workmanship. Is it pretty straightfwd to do?
This is my third system, but the first one that i've done with downfiring subs. It sounds the best by far. There are a lot less parts to rattle when the sound waves are traveling up and down vs front to back.

The carpeting was surprisingly easy if you keep the seams on the ends. It's just run of the mill automotive fabric from Wally World.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:17 PM   #16
tc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedtc98tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nik
tc98tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
i have one 12 in mine i have a grill on it so i face it down right in the middle between the little seats in the back cause i still sit people back there every day but down firing lot louder and sounds better too
im getting a fiberglass box made soon im gonna have two twelves im goin to bore out where the storage boxes are and put the 12s down there with the wood on the top so i can still sit people on top of it kno what im saying?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #17

What kind of subs are you going to run?
Old 01-21-2011, 07:22 AM   #18
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by the arkitect View Post
This is my third system, but the first one that i've done with downfiring subs. It sounds the best by far. There are a lot less parts to rattle when the sound waves are traveling up and down vs front to back.
okay thanks. I will have to flip my sub over one of these day and see how it sounds. If me likely, will have to change the box design I have been hashing out.
Good info on the fabric. I will check out wallyworld
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #19

Got some more requests for dimensions so here ya go, hope this helps:

Click on the pictures to enlarge them and actually be able to see the dimensions.