Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

dual 8 inch ported double cab enclosure

Old 01-11-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
impact is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
impact's Tacoma Gallery
dual 8 inch ported double cab enclosure

Hey guys just wanted to share this enclosure that I've been bulding for customers here in Hawaii. This guys holds either 2 8 inch subs or one 10 ported with 1.25 cubic feet of air space. It fits perfect on the passenger side in place of the plastic storage compartment and you can still keep the drivers side plastic in place and it contours to match it. Don't mind the pics these are pics of the first one i did a few years back right after I finishes it and haven't taken any new ones since

Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Nice with the side firing port. I bet it bangs. 4" port right? What's it tuned to?
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM   #3
supersuk is on a distinguished road
supersuk's Tacoma Gallery
Thats a nice box! Looks like it fits really well. What is the max mounting depth? I'm interested...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
impact's Tacoma Gallery
Yup 4 inch abs port. I was thinking abut using a 4 inch aero port flushing in the flange but I haven't tried one yet. As far as output it gets surprisingly loud for 2 8 inch woofers. So far the best combo I've used were JL 8W3's off a JL HD900/5. It was flexing the roof enough to make noise. The side fire port loads nice right there and it still gives enough clearance to let it breathe nicely. Tuning on that particular box was around 35 but I can go anywhere from 30 and up just depending on woofers. The other nice thing about it is the woofers load on the back of the seat which in turn gets a little more solid low end and better power handling.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
impact's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersuk View Post
Thats a nice box! Looks like it fits really well. What is the max mounting depth? I'm interested...
The max depth I an get out of it would be 5 inches maybe even up to 6 but I haven't tried going that crazy yet. If you are interested let me know what woofers you are thinking about running and I can probably get ahold of it and see how it fits or build it to fit the woofers.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #6
impact's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the nice comments guys, just wanted to share something a little different from what I've seen so far
Old 01-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
<<<<>>>>
btuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shedbtuner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
btuner's Tacoma Gallery
looks good! I always wanted some 8"s
Old 01-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Sproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud ofSproulesxrunner has much to be proud of
Sproulesxrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good man. Congrats on the job well done. It has a nice clean look to it.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

35 is kinda high but 30 is about right for most woofers. I like to tune a bit lower to get flatter response but that's just me.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:18 AM   #10
impact's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
35 is kinda high but 30 is about right for most woofers. I like to tune a bit lower to get flatter response but that's just me.
I totally agree, the reason that particular enclosure was tuned at 35 was due to the customers request. I personally try to tune in the area of 32-30hz, my personal car has my sub tuned down to 27. I am a firm believer in having your midbass woofers produce most of your upper to lower midbass and have your woofer pick up the lower frequencies that your midbass woofers can't produce. That way you not only get a good blend between your midbass and subwoofers but you also get a very forward sub stage. Done right you can make your sub disappear from behind you and you won't even know its there
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 AM   #11
shaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shedshaneckc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Shane
shaneckc's Tacoma Gallery
nice build on that box. the RE 8" have an awesome sound for an 8. they had a couple of their 8" in a demo car at CES and it sounded like they had 2 15's, they seriously BANG.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by impact View Post
The other nice thing about it is the woofers load on the back of the seat which in turn gets a little more solid low end and better power handling.
Explain this one to me would you, as I don't have any depth on physical sub placement and tuning. I do know that I've had a sub where the seat back plastic was removed to sound better and also a sub where the plastic was left in-place to sound better, but I don't have much knowledge on why that would be. Shed any light?
Old 01-13-2011, 01:37 AM   #13
impact's Tacoma Gallery
it all depends on how much clearance you have from the woofer to the actual surface in front of it. If it sits to close then it could be interfering with the speakers excursion and causing the speaker to hit the panel creating vibration or rattling possibly even reduce the output of the woofer. In the right situation giving just enough clearance for the woofer can result in a slight resistance on the cone which in turn will yield slightly better power handling and increased spl. This is used a lot in home audio applications and sometimes used in automotive spl systems
Old 01-13-2011, 06:28 AM   #14
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
it all depends on how much clearance you have from the woofer to the actual surface in front of it. If it sits to close then it could be interfering with the speakers excursion and causing the speaker to hit the panel creating vibration or rattling possibly even reduce the output of the woofer. In the right situation giving just enough clearance for the woofer can result in a slight resistance on the cone which in turn will yield slightly better power handling and increased spl. This is used a lot in home audio applications and sometimes used in automotive spl systems
Thanks!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
TRAMA TACO is on a distinguished road
Name: Travis
TRAMA TACO's Tacoma Gallery
How can I get one of these boxes?
Old 11-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #16
Sounds Gooooood

Shoot him a PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
it all depends also on what type of music you listen too.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
Sounds Gooooood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinktaco808 View Post
it all depends also on what type of music you listen too.
What question is this in response to? Sometimes I think you just type random stuff in as responses. I worry about you man.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:14 AM   #19
Hot Steppa
pinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpinktaco808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pinktaco808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup 4 inch abs port. I was thinking abut using a 4 inch aero port flushing in the flange but I haven't tried one yet. As far as output it gets surprisingly loud for 2 8 inch woofers. So far the best combo I've used were JL 8W3's off a JL HD900/5. It was flexing the roof enough to make noise. The side fire port loads nice right there and it still gives enough clearance to let it breathe nicely. Tuning on that particular box was around 35 but I can go anywhere from 30 and up just depending on woofers. The other nice thing about it is the woofers load on the back of the seat which in turn gets a little more solid low end and better power handling.
Should have quoted this one regarding to tuning.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Sounds Gooooood

lol, ok...before I was like whaaa?