LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

To Plastic or Not To Plastic (Seat Backs)

Old 01-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #1
Snypar is on a distinguished road
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
To Plastic or Not To Plastic (Seat Backs)

I talked to an engineer yesterday and he recommended REMOVING the plastic on the back of the seats in a Double Cab. Over my head, but he tried explaining that the woofer being that close to the hard surface created 'something dis-pleasurable'. For some odd reason, this sounds reasonable.
What are your thoughts? Anyone tried this?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
Hunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shedHunter500ky is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter: Probie
Hunter500ky's Tacoma Gallery
huh?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #3
I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1
Johns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJohns Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
Johns Taco's Tacoma Gallery
An engineer told you this? He needs to stick to engineering something else. If your sub is up against your seat well that's what you get, the material of the back of your seat isn't going to make a difference.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Our trucks with the JBL sub woofers dont bump that hard anyways so I wouldnt waste my time removing the plastic on the seat back. Now it might be a different story with an aftermarket setup.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
"Living life in the FAST lane..."
05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed05PreRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

05PreRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 05PreRunner
I had to remove mine for my current set-up..
Old 01-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #6
Snypar is on a distinguished road
Snypar's Tacoma Gallery
Clarification:
This is definitely for 2 ID10's in a custom box. He stated that having that hard of a surface right in front of the sub would reduce its efficiency and sound. Again, I am not an expert, but it kinda sounds like putting a sub right up against a solid wall would do something to its sound, etc. By removing the plastic seat backs, you gain over an inch of clearance and the 'sound' will be hitting the foam and seat material. WTH do I know, if a sub facing a wall of plastic or foam is better.. Thats why I am asking yall's input
Old 01-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
As long as the subs aren't hitting the plastic (or anything else) you'll be fine. Leave the backs on.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Well, why not try it both ways and see what you think? My last sub was an 8" L7 and it sounded better with the plastic in place. My current sub, a 10" ArcAudio, sounds better with it off.

Nuttin better than real results :-)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #9
DevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shedDevL is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DevL's Tacoma Gallery
If you want it to play with the seat folded, it has to come off. If you want to be able to fold your seats, it will be way easier if it comes off.