LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How to install a 2009+ OEM Radio w/AUX-IN in 2005-2008 Tacoma

Old 08-14-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
Taco Fever - I've got it bad!
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
billyjoe's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
Just wanted to say thanks. I finished installing my new 2009+ JBL Head unit in my truck and this thread was a huge help. Your text file was even helpful when I was hooking up the wiring to my amplifier so I could use the built in bluetooth feature.
Your welcome! BTW, was your 05 DC already wired for a JBL system or did you convert a non-JBL? I ask because I'm currently working on a 09+ JBL wiring harness that simply plugs into an existing 05-11 non-JBL system. Also have part #s for all components (e.g. BT SWI, Cable, etc.) If you need further info, just let me know.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM   #22
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
BTW, was your 05 DC already wired for a JBL system or did you convert a non-JBL?
It was wired for JBL already. A few things did surprise me though. When they added bluetooth in 2009 they also updated the amplifier. Since the speed sensor and bluetooth voice input all run through the amplifier I thought I would need to update that as well. This was not the case. I used the same pin configuration from the FSM and was pretty excited when that obnoxious loud voice from the bluetooth radio started shouting instructions to me. I have a pretty scattered/unorganized thread about all the stuff I did to make the BT work here if you are interested.

I could definitely see where a JBL harness would be very handy for someone who wanted to upgrade. I have seen head unit and amplifier combos go for pretty cheap. It kind of reminds me of this pdf installation I saw for tundras. I attached it in case you haven't seen it yet. It basically goes through the steps for upgrading a tundra that did not come with a separate amplifier to a nav unit which requires a separate amplifier.

One request though... How do you find part numbers for the harness pins? I had a few extra that I swiped from a wrecked tacoma but I didn't know what I was looking for at the time. They work for now but I would like to get the right ones eventually.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2007Tundra NAV.pdf (3.62 MB, 136 views)
Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #23
billyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shedbillyjoe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbconvert View Post
How do you find part numbers for the harness pins?
Reference the Connector List and Part Number Of Connectors sections of the OEM Wiring Manual (see link below). Then, cross-reference connector part # in the Toyota Wire Harness Repair Manual (see link below) to get corresponding Wire/Terminal part #.

2005 Toyota Tacoma OEM Wiring Manual:
http://www.customtacos.com/tech/files/05FSM/wiring.html

Toyota Wire Harness Repair Manual:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/21980878/T...Harness-Repair

For 2009+ connectors/terminals, I usually subscribe to Toyota TIS for 2 days ($15) and reference their interactive EWDs.

Toyota Technical Information System (TIS):
http://techinfo.toyota.com
Old 01-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #24

non-JBL to JBL Conversion Harness

On a related note, for those of you interested in converting your non-JBL audio system to JBL, I have designed a virtually plug-n-play solution:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...n-harness.html
Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #25
Jeromes is on a distinguished road
Jeromes's Tacoma Gallery
Question The two resistors in OEM Aux in Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoe View Post
I've gotten so many requests for info on how I retrofitted a 2009+ Radio w/AUX-IN port and ASL (Auto Sound Leveling) that I figured it warranted putting together a doument that covers all the specifics. Your comments are welcome. So, fellow TW members, without further delay, here it is:
Do you know why the OEM Aux-In Jack has the two resistors in place? I have done the same type of mod to a number of Subarus (installed newer radio with aux in capability) and made up a aux in harness that had a single wire that you connected directly to ground to enable the aux input on the radio. Not sure why the radio would want to see a 15.05K resistor if the aux cable was not inserted in the jack and then a 2.76K resistance when the cable was inserted in the jack.

I have a 2011 non JBL radio that I will install in a 06 tacoma. My plan was to add the necessary pins to the existing 20 pin connector to bring out the aux connector to a standard stereo plug and connect the AUXI signal (Conn R3-19) to AGND (Conn R2-18).

Do you see any issue with doing this?

Thanks
Old 08-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromes View Post
Do you know why the OEM Aux-In Jack has the two resistors in place? Not sure why the radio would want to see a 15.05K resistor if the aux cable was not inserted in the jack and then a 2.76K resistance when the cable was inserted in the jack.
As stated in NOTES:
1. Internal switch (in jack module) closes when audio plug inserted.
Resistors R1 & R2 are then in parallel (2.76k), pulling AUX-In
Enable signal (AUXI) low, signaling radio that AUX-In is active,
automatically selecting AUX-In as source.

Quote:
I have a 2011 non JBL radio that I will install in a 06 tacoma. My plan was to add the necessary pins to the existing 20 pin connector to bring out the aux connector to a standard stereo plug and connect the AUXI signal (Conn R3-19) to AGND (Conn R2-18).
Do you see any issue with doing this?
Yes, grounding the AUXI signal will permanantly enable the AUX in port. Obviously, this is not ideal considering you have several sources (AM/FM/SAT/CD).
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
Jeromes is on a distinguished road
Jeromes's Tacoma Gallery
Current limit resistor

All i can guess is that the radio prefers to not see a open circuit when the aux plug is not inserted (i.e. 15K resistor), and that the parallel combination of 2.76K pulls the signal low enough to enable the radio.

I do not have the external aux jack (yet). I will take a 3.5mm harness, attach pins to the right & left audio, and the shield. connect them to the correct pins in the existing 20 pin connector in the truck. add a 2.76K resistor to two pins and add that to the existing connector pins 19 and 18. That will enable the aux input all the time. This would mean that I might have to touch the aux/disc button two times to select the aux input if I have a disc in the unit.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:19 AM   #28
nrojay is on a distinguished road
nrojay's Tacoma Gallery
how did that work out for you

was you able to perform this mod ?

Quote:
All i can guess is that the radio prefers to not see a open circuit when the aux plug is not inserted (i.e. 15K resistor), and that the parallel combination of 2.76K pulls the signal low enough to enable the radio.

I do not have the external aux jack (yet). I will take a 3.5mm harness, attach pins to the right & left audio, and the shield. connect them to the correct pins in the existing 20 pin connector in the truck. add a 2.76K resistor to two pins and add that to the existing connector pins 19 and 18. That will enable the aux input all the time. This would mean that I might have to touch the aux/disc button two times to select the aux input if I have a disc in the unit.