1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How to install a 2009+ OEM Radio w/AUX-IN in 2005-2008 Tacoma

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by billyjoe, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Jan 14, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    billyjoe

billyjoe [OP] Taco Fever - I've got it bad!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    I've gotten so many requests for info on how I retrofitted a 2009+ Radio w/AUX-IN port and ASL (Auto Sound Leveling) that I figured it warranted putting together a doument that covers all the specifics. Your comments are welcome. So, fellow TW members, without further delay, here it is:

Attached Files:

WelderJon and 05Taco4x4 like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2011 at 7:04 PM
    jabrackin

jabrackin Well-Known Member

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad
    When you cut both ends from the Noise filter... did you soder the wires? Also, i am alittle confused about how you hook in the noise filer in the back of the aux port switch

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 12:20 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    1. Yes
    2. Connect the Noise filter to the OEM cable that plugs into the AUX-IN Jack (as shown in wiring diagram). The other end of the noise filter is connected to R3 (as shown in wiring diagram).

Hope that helps. :)

4. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:10 PM
    fbconvert

fbconvert Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport
    I bought a dash from a 2009 tacoma to replace the one my airbag deployed in. It came with the aux switch and I would like to do this mod but my 2005 tacoma has the JBL system. I noticed this write up if for non-jbl systems. Why do you think this modification wouldn't work for a JBL systems.

Thanks,

-FB

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 4:31 PM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Based on the 07 wiring diagram available at TTORA, the JBL headunit uses a different wiring setup.

On the non-JBL units there are 4 speaker outputs coming directly off the headunit and going out to the door speakers (pins 1, 2, 5, 6). On the JBL unit the wiring goes out to the amplifier system (8, 9, 18, 19 - plus pin 10 looks like an audio signal ground, maybe balanced?) and then on to the doors. There may be other differences, don't have access to the appropriate MY FSMs, but the info above was an easy difference to spot.

It may be that a little creative work with the wiring plugs could overcome this, but I think you need wiring data for your truck and wiring data for the headunit, then compare/contrast.

6. Apr 25, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    After looking at the schematics for the JBL audio system, there appears to be no difference regarding the wiring of R3 for AUX-IN and ASL. It's even in the same position as the non-JBL as well.

The other connectors (R1 & R2) are merged into one connector on the JBL and, obviously, the wiring is completely different. You're fine though if you buy the JBL version of a 2009+ radio. There are additional features that were added to the new JBLs that require additional wiring to use - such as Bluetooth (e.g.- Microphone). Let me know if you need more detail on this... :)

7. Apr 26, 2011 at 7:51 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    When I got the dash I did not purchase the 09 radio with it. So essentially what I did to wire the aux cable was cut the R-3 plug from my truck then I matched the wires to the R-3 plug I got from the 09 truck which included the aux cable. The only wires from the R-3 plug in my truck were the steering wheel controls. After I retrofitted the 09 R-3 plug I had one wire that did not of a match to anything on my truck. Now that I have your wiring diagram I know that is the SPD ASL cable which I plan to hook up like your diagram suggest.

I took some pictures of the wiring I have behind my JBL model radio. Like you said the R-3 plug appears to be the exactly the same as the non JBL. But when I plug into my aux with my iphone the radio does not select the aux in as the source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Apr 26, 2011 at 9:10 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Also When I swiped all the dash from the 09 Tacoma I basically grabbed all the wire ends I could and cut them just encase. I have a connector that fits in the R-4 slot but I do not know what those wires do. When I replaced my dash I looked all over for the plug that goes into the R-4 slot but found nothing and I can't remember when I took it apart if it even had anything there. But then when I grabbed all the wire ends from the 09 after they removed the dash I ended up with a plug that fits in the R-4 slot. Do you have the wiring diagrams for an 09 tacoma? I just have the 05-06 ones. I would sure like to be able to compare the two.

Edit: I think I got a handle on why it is not working after looking over my pictures and the your diagram it does not appear that the stock aux wires from the 09 match up with your diagram. It looks like pin 1 and 8 need to be swapped on the aux cable. I will try to change things around so that it matches your diagram then I will report back. If you wouldn't mind looking over those pictures carefully to confirm this that would be great. Thanks.

-FB

9. Apr 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    The R4 connector gets used if you were to install a (OEM for all) CD-Changer, BlueTooth module, or a satellite radio box. Add-ons like the Grom Audio box to support USB/Aux/iPod also use the same plug (since they emulate a cd-changer). At least some of the wires (haven't looked at all) belong to a scheme called AVC-LAN.

10. Apr 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Well I tried swapping the wires like a suggested in the previous post with no luck.

@Ibridges - I wonder if the R-4 connection can be used to make a aux in. I am sure there is probably one out there, I just don't want to spend an arm and a leg for something that should have been stock in the first place. Any idea how I could get a pin diagram of the R-4 connector?

-FB

Edit: This link might be what I was looking for but frankly it blows my mind...

I think this might be my best option. Maybe I can open the box and rewire the 3.5mm input so it can be accessed at the factory input on my dash.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Apr 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    Neat find (first link), but it blows me away too.

The 2nd link certainly seems easiest. I'm probably no help in digging deeper into the electronics - good luck with however you go.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  12. Apr 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    That's because YOU NEED A 2009+ RADIO (JBL in your instance). Earlier radios do not support AUX-IN through R3 - only through R4 (CD-Changer Port). The 09+ radios have integral support for AUX-IN. This includes a selection button on the face as well as internal suport which will provide the behavior you wish (automatic selection when plugged in).

You should be able to pickup a 2009+ JBL radio for about $50 (6-disc preferred) or less. If you shop around you may find one that comes with the "new" amp & rear-seat subwoofer as well.

Good Luck!

13. Apr 28, 2011 at 7:01 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info I will be keeping my eye out for one. in the mean time I think I will buy just a cheap aux adapter like the one in my second link I posted earlier. Although I was hoping to keep that R-4 plug for a bluetooth module.

14. Apr 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    In case your interested, "mhenson327" has a 2011 JBL HeadUnit (6-Disc, w/Bluetooth), Amp & Sub he took out of his new 2011 Tacoma 2 weeks after he bought it (Nov. 2010). You can PM him or email at mhenson327@aol.com

"tacoman05" has a 2011 JBL headunit for sale as well.

Good Luck! :)

15. Apr 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM
    lbridges

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    If you buy the OEM BlueTooth (BluTooth) you can also use the OEM iPod adapter. Of course those two things will set you back a bit - around $350 DIY.

Alternately you can use a Grom Audio box. I know that device handles iPod/USB/Aux with the right cables. They also claim a BlueTooth doongle works for an additional $45, but I can't say if that will work or not, never tried it - it should though as presumably it's just doing all the OWM stuff in one box instead of two.

Not to mention just going to an aftermarket headunit.

16. May 2, 2011 at 7:09 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    I am not sure but I have heard of issues with the Aux input volume. I think I might just wait and upgrade the radio after I finish making the rest of my repairs on the truck. I found a few people on here who were willing to sell their stock head unit, but once I shot them an offer of $100 the communication went silent. I guess they are going for more than I thought, but any more than that and I think I am better off replace it with an after market one. especially when I will have to buy a bluetooth mic and xm antenna to take full advantage of the stock head unit. I would like to say thanks for all the info Billyjoe provided, it is the only one I have found with the pinouts of the factory head unit.

17. May 19, 2011 at 7:15 PM
    TRD Dawg

TRD Dawg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport Double Cab
    TRD CAI TRD Exhaust Custom Grille
  18. May 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    The "Yellow" wire as noted in the OEM AUX-IN Cable (modified) drawing refers to the cable/connector that plugs into the rear of the OEM Jack (refer to NOTE #3). Regarding the PAC, please refer to NOTE #4. Yes, the "bare" wires on the pac are GND.

19. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:38 AM
    fbconvert

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Seacoast, NH
    Vehicle:
    Just wanted to say thanks. I finished installing my new 2009+ JBL Head unit in my truck and this thread was a huge help. Your text file was even helpful when I was hooking up the wiring to my amplifier so I could use the built in bluetooth feature.

20. Aug 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    billyjoe

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB V6 4WD LTD
    Extang Trifecta Tonneau
    Your welcome! BTW, was your 05 DC already wired for a JBL system or did you convert a non-JBL? I ask because I'm currently working on a 09+ JBL wiring harness that simply plugs into an existing 05-11 non-JBL system. Also have part #s for all components (e.g. BT SWI, Cable, etc.) If you need further info, just let me know. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top