Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

DIY Install: Backup/Reverse Camera DP Video DBC366 Live video Demonstration

Old 01-18-2011, 02:21 AM   #1
acozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

acozzens's Tacoma Gallery
Smile DIY Install: Backup/Reverse Camera DP Video DBC366 Live video Demonstration

Here's a bunch of info on my weekend project, a pretty cheap Backup Camera Install. ( thanks sam_i02 and others for feedback and help ) I wired to red, so I can switch this on/off at will by switch to my AV Input on my head unit as desired. I also setup a female molex plug, so I can easily detach this camera, but more importantly hook up anything with minimal effort. Overall, this project was a smashing success considering it just costed time and about $50 for product.

Cabling FYI: I did run all 3 ( Video, Power, Ground ) all the way into the Cab, up through the plug underneath the driver's seat and into the kick panel in my 2k6 4 door. I ground to a location under the driver pedals, and soldered an in-line 1 amp glass fuse covered in heat shrink in case the camera gets feisty. Basically, I just followed the exact path of my dynolock tailgate cables which was a very similar project.

Specs:
2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD
Head Unit: JVC KD AVX44 Kamelion
Camera: DP Video DBC366 ( keyhole style ) estimated $30-$40
Mount: Tow-Hitch Plug

Helpful Demonstration Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNeAMnxSy4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNeAMnxSy4

My impressions, and detailed info.
http://www.booyagadget.com/2011/01/vehicle-backup-camera-diy-toyota-installation-demo-review.html

( I host at my site, but link straight back to here )

Backup Reverse Camera Live Demo Review DP DBC366 Unbox 1 by BooyaGadget, on Flickr

Backup Reverse Camera Demo Night Vision vs Day DBC366 by BooyaGadget, on Flickr

Backup Reverse Camera Mount Tow Hitch Plug by BooyaGadget, on Flickr
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
brians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the roughbrians05taco is a jewel in the rough

Name: Brian
brians05taco's Tacoma Gallery
definitely need one for my seven inch pioneer just havent broke down and bought one yet
Old 01-18-2011, 03:36 AM   #3
Krewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrewblink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Danny
Krewblink's Tacoma Gallery
i like it but why would u put it in your tow hitch?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
sam_i02 is on a distinguished road

Name: Samir
sam_i02's Tacoma Gallery
^ i believe he is just testing the unit to see how he likes it.

Nice job on the video. I need to get a cheap video cam and will be getting the same one as you did. Like the resolution and practicality of the camera! Thx also for the kudos
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
acozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Correct, I put it there as an initial test. But I would consider putting it right back there in the Hitch-Plug. Totally removable system and somewhat inconspicuous.. I figure you have about 4+mounting choices so I had to choose one right ? I certainly didn't want to rip into my locking tailgate handle setup for a camera I didn't like.

Your question is weighted, can you tell me(or other readers) why not to put it in my hitch plug ? In my opinion this is merely a matter of personal preference, and remember the goal of a backup camera: not to hit the kid on the bike. So mission achieved. If visibility of a tow hitch itself is your goal, then this mounting choice may not make sense and you can mount in one of the other locations correct ? Let me know why you don't like the plug mount.

Later!,
AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krewblink View Post
i like it but why would u put it in your tow hitch?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #6

I thought you'd like the shot out in the article And after all, I did use your fuse technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_i02 View Post
^ i believe he is just testing the unit to see how he likes it.

Nice job on the video. I need to get a cheap video cam and will be getting the same one as you did. Like the resolution and practicality of the camera! Thx also for the kudos
Old 01-18-2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Proud Tundra *****
oofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shedoofy15354 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Dave
oofy15354's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by acozzens View Post
Correct, I put it there as an initial test. But I would consider putting it right back there in the Hitch-Plug. Totally removable system and somewhat inconspicuous.. I figure you have about 4+mounting choices so I had to choose one right ? I certainly didn't want to rip into my locking tailgate handle setup for a camera I didn't like.

Your question is weighted, can you tell me(or other readers) why not to put it in my hitch plug ? In my opinion this is merely a matter of personal preference, and remember the goal of a backup camera: not to hit the kid on the bike. So mission achieved. If visibility of a tow hitch itself is your goal, then this mounting choice may not make sense and you can mount in one of the other locations correct ? Let me know why you don't like the plug mount.

Later!,
AC
id guess a lot of people use it to hook up a trailer or help back up a trailer which would require a higher vantage point. other mights just like to see the bumper to act as a reference. but i like your mounting location and ill consider this if i do a backup camera install as i really dont tow anything
Old 01-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
mrmumbels will become famous soon enoughmrmumbels will become famous soon enough
Marines: Sgt CSSG-1
mrmumbels's Tacoma Gallery
I just bought one of those little cameras the other day to make a DIY sewer cam!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #9
n00b
MJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMJonAgs32 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: MJ
MJonAgs32's Tacoma Gallery
I did something like this as well. But I needed it to help me with hitching up, and without having the hitch in view, it was pretty much just useless to me. I just got an 09+ tailgate camera and going to wire it up soon.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:49 PM   #10

Yeah, it makes more sense to me now, as I had a totally different mission. My project was #1 to lay the cable in case I did like it, and #2 Proof of Concept. Would I even like it ? Would it look good on my Single Din, and I think the answer is yes. I'm finally spending money on motorcycle transportation ( tow-hitch mount for dirt bike, Utility trailer for my Big Cruiser ) so now when needed, I'll just pull the plug. And if I have a tech-erection for viewing the hitch, I'll probably consider mounting in the tailgate handle if possible, or rigging up a temporary clip on top of the Tailgate.

I'm quite pleased with my detachability setup. which was really easy to achieve for a few extra bucks. And I did indeed do a lot of soldering that weekend. ( also installed 4wd light up switch )

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjonags32 View Post
I did something like this as well. But I needed it to help me with hitching up, and without having the hitch in view, it was pretty much just useless to me. I just got an 09+ tailgate camera and going to wire it up soon.