Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Got a wiring question

Old 01-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
tacomathunder's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacomathunder
Got a wiring question

When i removed the factory stereo tonight (sorry no pics, it was too dark) there was a whole bunch of wires hooked into the first socket, then the socket next to it a brown looking wire into a connector which connected tho the radio.....any idea what that is??? i have a regular cab, so i know there are no rear speaker connections......im getting ready to crimp the wiring harnesses from my new radio to my connections, but need to know what that wire is so i dont short anything out.

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 01-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #3
SuperTaRD9904 is on a distinguished road

Name: Brandon
SuperTaRD9904's Tacoma Gallery
it might be the dimmer. i think i had a brown dimmer light before. not positive though.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
tacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomathunder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTaRD9904 View Post
it might be the dimmer. i think i had a brown dimmer light before. not positive though.
so if it is the dimmer, i wouldnt use it on aftermarket stereo??
Old 01-21-2011, 12:52 AM   #5
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
brown wire would be lighting. Not sure what for though? Do you have steering wheel controls. If it was the dimmer your new stereo will have its own dimmer built in!
Old 01-21-2011, 01:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
brown wire would be lighting. Not sure what for though? Do you have steering wheel controls. If it was the dimmer your new stereo will have its own dimmer built in!
i do not have steering wheel controls, i have the base taco....so none of those luxuries lol......but the wires that are coming from the truck to connect to the radio is what im talking about....you know how on the stock radio there are 2 connectors connected to the radio for the front speakers? on one of those connectors from the truck there is literally 1 wire that is brown color.... i have no idea what it is
Old 01-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #7
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Me either man? Now your splicing this onto a new connector harness right? Does the new harness not have a brown wire?
Old 01-21-2011, 01:07 AM   #8

looks like its ground. I think its black or green now on the 09's and above. I've done quite a few tacomas and never ran into a problem
Old 01-21-2011, 01:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonleblond View Post
Me either man? Now your splicing this onto a new connector harness right? Does the new harness not have a brown wire?
i dont think so, ill have to check.....
Old 01-21-2011, 01:09 AM   #10
yeah its ur ground so most likely splice it onto the black wire.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:14 AM   #11

wow, that chart helps me a ton man, thanks a lot...i really appreciate it
Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 AM   #12

these are just for referance to make sure im on the same page here

this is the brown wire i was talking about

these are the wiring harnesses i have
Old 01-21-2011, 09:44 AM   #14
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
Because its a thicker gauge than the others and the chart says brown is ground, I would say ground.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:07 AM   #15

actually, looking at it now, its brown and white.....maybe its just a rogue wire that leads to nothing?? because on the wiring harness chart it says that smaller connector is for rear speakers, which i dont have since i have a regular cab
Old 01-22-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
how did it turn out bro?
Old 01-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #17
EnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shedEnolaGaia is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EnolaGaia's Tacoma Gallery
In the 2007 base audio wiring scheme:

- Solid Brown Wire = Ground
- Brown / White Wire = Illumination control line (leads to the dimmer rheostat).
Old 09-28-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
Fotno is on a distinguished road
Name: Jared
Fotno's Tacoma Gallery
Noob Question

When you installed this, did you crimp the new stereo harness to the provided harnesses from crutchfield? and if so, do I just match colors to colors?
Old 09-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fotno View Post
When you installed this, did you crimp the new stereo harness to the provided harnesses from crutchfield? and if so, do I just match colors to colors?
pretty much yeah....you should get an instruction manual with the wire connections for the stereo to the harness..its pretty easy
Old 09-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
It works if you work it.
fbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant futurefbconvert has a brilliant future

Name: Brian
fbconvert's Tacoma Gallery
It looks like you got it figured out but here is a link to your stereo wiring diagram.

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/.../h/em01d44.pdf

And here is your connector list:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/05+/data/...k/em01d0up.pdf