Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

GO PRO VS. CONTOUR HD

View Poll Results: GoPro HD HERO vs ContourHD
GoPro HD HERO 67 83.75%
ContourHD 13 16.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
GO PRO VS. CONTOUR HD

Did a quick search doesnt seem to be a repeat. I see alot of people have used the GoPro and it seems like an amazing camera but the Contour offers a neat feature, GPS. It tracks and plots where youve gone and how fast you were going against the video.

Have heard issues with the mounting systems on the Contour like it can be shaky if not on flat terrain on a mountain bike. I assume everyone here would agree we arent in the market for that.

Im leaning towards the GO PRO just because of quality and price but the Contour has the GPS which is neat but not neccessary.

Your guys input would be appreciated. Post your Pros and Cons of both and tell us why you chose what you did.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 AM   #2
ross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant futureross123 has a brilliant future
Army:
ross123's Tacoma Gallery
ive used them both for skydiving. i like the contour just because its alot easier to mount on a helmet. my .02 cents
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
BORN AND RAISED MAUI BOY
numbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shednumbah57 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: kahai
numbah57's Tacoma Gallery
I love my gopro, I got it mainly for spearfishing. I made me a custom mask mount for the camera and the footage is awesome.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 PM   #4
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
Gopro
Old 01-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
elevatedfun is on a distinguished road

Name: Austin
elevatedfun's Tacoma Gallery
Go Pro Fo Sho!
I use it for snowboarding and....
Great quality
Easy to Use
Super Durable

I think they're both similar, if you would use the GPS feature of the other, go with that, if its something that you really don't need... go with a gopro because they are just solid cameras for any application.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
I've been looking at the GoPro as well. I've held off here for about 4 months now. I'm not sure how much longer I can handle myself.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
mentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmentose457 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mentose457's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by numbah57 View Post
I love my gopro, I got it mainly for spearfishing. I made me a custom mask mount for the camera and the footage is awesome.
Can you post a link to the video you took? Sounds like it would be entertaining.

BTW i love my gopro. These are some of the videos ive made with mine. (Im always looking for excuses to show these off).

http://vimeo.com/11637614

http://vimeo.com/12142960

http://vimeo.com/12512764

http://vimeo.com/12642824

http://vimeo.com/17750613
Old 01-22-2011, 05:07 PM   #8
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Dude...that's exactly what I'm going to do with mine!
Old 01-23-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
GpPro we use it snowmobiling, mtn biking, skiing & motorcycling.
I also set it up and watch Simon when I was at work.
I did the firmware upgrade to it and love it even more, one button off, upside down mode, external monitor capability.
I like the mount options.
eye of mine has some good custom mounts as well
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentose457 View Post
Can you post a link to the video you took? Sounds like it would be entertaining.

BTW i love my gopro. These are some of the videos ive made with mine. (Im always looking for excuses to show these off).

That looks like so much fun. I used to love being on a bike when I was a kid. I want to get back into it.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #11
He who angers you conquers you
Unknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shedUnknown is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
Unknown's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m8E3...eature=channel
Old 01-26-2011, 04:38 PM   #12
dirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to beholddirtfondler is a splendid one to behold
dirtfondler's Tacoma Gallery
Clearly I am the minority, but I use a ContourHD for dirtbiking and have no complaints. I like the lower profile mounting. The mounting doesnt have as much adjustability which is both good and bad. Bad because you have to get it right, but good because every branch that touches it doesnt make it point wrong. I got mine right before the GPS feature and I am bummed about that.

Likes: loud beep to signal on/off, single button slide that is very clear whether it is on/off, stable mounting

Dislikes: LED alignment is very disappointing in even the dimmest settings, file format is apple (.mov I think it is), need small screwdriver to clean inside of protective lens.

I'll post some videos if you want to see them.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #13
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
I have a countour HD (the model before the GPS came out, but its still 1080p).
I like it, but I was dissapointed at how much shaking it had when I was wearing it on my goggles snowboarding with out a helmet. Might be alot more solid with a helmet, but havent tried it yet.
I had a hard time deciding between contour and go pro, I would like to get the go pro in addition to the contour so I can test them both myself and use them together
Old 01-26-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
BLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shedBLKTRD6SP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Tim
BLKTRD6SP's Tacoma Gallery
I bought the GoPro but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I bought it mostly for dirt biking but it will be a couple more months of really cold and lots of snow before I can try out the new camera and new bike.
I've seen quite a few lately being used in TV shows so they must be pretty decent.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 PM   #15
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
I am a news photographer, and I have not used either (I have an Archos media player with a lipstick cam that I have used on my road cycling, but it is pathetically outdated now.) I have seen the go pro up close, and I know that both it and the contour HD have similar quality HD. If aerodynamics are an issue, or if dork factor were an issue, I would go with the contour hd, since a lipstick cam is more aero, and least likely to get clipped like a rearview mirror on your car.

One drawback with lipstick cams is that getting it square takes some time, since its cylindrical. It involves setting it up, previewing, making adjustments, etc. once its mounted, however, its least likely to reorient. The go pro would be easier to square on the fly, but more susceptible to hits.

As a professional, if it were primarily mounted on me or my subject, off the cuff I would go with the contour. If I were mounting it as a remote, I would go with the go pro. If you were looking to buy two, I would get one of each, and use the most appropriate one for that application.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
I say Go Pro all the way! but im bias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8I5Vwu0wPQ
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 PM   #17
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
I have a countour HD (the model before the GPS came out, but its still 1080p).
I like it, but I was dissapointed at how much shaking it had when I was wearing it on my goggles snowboarding with out a helmet. Might be alot more solid with a helmet, but havent tried it yet.
I had a hard time deciding between contour and go pro, I would like to get the go pro in addition to the contour so I can test them both myself and use them together
There is a balance between mounting it too tight, and too loose. You have to find the sweet spot. On a road bike (bicycle), mounting on the helmet made my lipstick cam usually point too high or too low and it became a bitch to dial in (your back is pretty horizontal in a road cycling position). In addition, when you looked to the side, the horizon went to 45 degrees, and it was annoying to look at on video (your brain corrects that and levels it out, but a monitor has no brain). On the top of the bars it showed way too much vibration, with tire pressure at 120 psi. Taped on the fork worked best for me, as apparently a vertical support showed much less vibration than a horizontal one (I suspect that the tape played a roll, as it allowed a little give. So placement and mounting materials both play a roll and you have to experiment a bit to find a sweet spot that is acceptable. At speed, I don't like things that protrude, like a go pro does, I like things tucked.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #18
RideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to beholdRideFast is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jesse
RideFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mentose457 View Post

Pretty similar riding here in NM! Top notch video
Old 01-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody6047 View Post
I say Go Pro all the way! but im bias

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8I5Vwu0wPQ
Was that a dick move by the guy on the yellow bike at 4:20, or is that how you all roll...? I don't know your sport...
Old 01-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #20
McGrubber
woody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoody6047 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Blacksheep of the DOD
Name: Beau
woody6047's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
Was that a dick move by the guy on the yellow bike at 4:20, or is that how you all roll...? I don't know your sport...
In his defense he was just a noob. Im guessing he didnt know i was back there and was trying to give the other guy the inside lane. When you are riding with people of your own skill level, yes dick moves like that happen all the time. Rubbin is Racin.