1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Factory Radio and Amp Sub

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by A7XTaco, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Jan 26, 2011 at 9:14 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    You don't want to know...
    UPDATE:

So if your like me and think there should be some reasoning behind the color codes and wire size, there isn't.

On the non JBL radio, there is not a external amp.

The front speakers are on one connector and are pink, purple, light green,and blue. They are around 18 gauge wire.

The rear speakers are on the other connector, they are black, yellow, red, and white. They are around 16 gauge. They look like they would be the power wires for the radio, they aren't, don't be fooled.

The + feed from the battery is on the front speaker connector. Its that tiny blue/yellow 20-22 gauge wire. The ground wire is on the same connector and is the 18 gauge brown wire.

Its all right here...

So this is a double question,

Background,

06 Access Cab, basic non JBL radio.

I was looking for a quick, cheap, and temporary way to put my old sub and amp in my truck.

I thought simple, I'll just get a line converter, tap into my rear speaker wires on the back of my factory radio, and use that to drive my amp.

I pulled the radio out and quickly realized there were not enough wires to drive 4 speakers.

So I broke out the schematics. I quickly figured that the head unit sends a digital signal to a factory amplifier to drive the speakers.

Question 1.

Where is the factory amp on access cab? All the drawings I have show only the double cab with a external amp.

Question 2.

How would I hook up a aftermarket head unit? Would I have to run all new wiring to every speaker? Or do they make a kit to attach a aftermarket head unit after the factory amp?

2. Jan 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Yep, you were tricked! :D

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    I can't be the only person in the world who has ever put a amp on a factory radio in a taco???

Anyone? Somebody?

Please don't make me have to go to professional audio shop asking questions!

4. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:50 PM
    bowhunter11199

bowhunter11199 Well-Known Member

Member:
    haha sorry i dont know too much about audio systems. ( i clicked on this thread cuz of the pic of the babe:D) but i would say you to just ask a professional. thats what they are there for.

5. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
    You can also add a "line level converter" I think its called, that will tap off the rear speaker wires, and give you low level RCA outputs that you can hook to an amp and sub.

If you want to install an aftermarket head unit, its VERY easy, I just did mine today in a couple hours.
    Goto www.crutchfield.com the site will tell you what will fit your vehicle, you can get adapter face places from them, and more importantly, wiring harnesses that are made to adapt your aftermarket head unit to the factory wire harness.
    No, you dont have to run all new wires.

[EDIT] wait what you said makes no sense, if its a non-JBL, the head unit should be powering all the speakers from it and have all the wires coming from it.
    Sounds like you DO have the JBL setup, sorry, I am not sure how you would do that one, but I think crutchfield also has stuff for the JBL system also.

~John

6. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:56 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

That's the thing, I only have 4 possible speaker wires out of the back of the radio. Seeing as I have 4 speakers (plus two tweeters) I would have to have at least 8 wires.

Also, If I look at the connectors and schematics listed here it shows the connectors on the back of my radio are only on radios with the external amp.

Is it possible I have the JBL radio? Its just the plain black face plate and JBL isn't written anywhere on the truck.

7. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:57 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    Even if you had a factory separate amp, all head units have preamp outputs. High end ones have several. So you would plug your factory amp into one preamp output, then plug your amp/sub into the other preamp output that all head units have. Sounds simple to me. The only hiccup I see would be converting the factory wiring harness but you seem good at reading schematics. Good luk.

8. Jan 27, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    jtice

jtice Well-Known Member

Member:
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off-Road
    Pioneer P4100DVD, 10" Pioneer Shallow Mount Sub
  9. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:01 PM
    Snowman11

Snowman11 Supreme Ruler

Member:
    First Name:
    Snow
    Near Philly
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCLB TuRD Sport
    5100 Billies
    I had (still in my basement) a LA Sound amp for my subwoofer when I was a kid. High end. There was a place for wire leads from powered speaker wires and I did just as you said, tap into rear wires and run the sub from that. Still piece of cake.

10. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:

Hey thanks for the input anyhow. Yeah I just took the line converter back, that was my original plan.

If I could find the factory amp I would just tap in after it, but I'm not having much luck finding it in my Access Cab.

There is a remaining open 20 pin connector on the back of my radio which, according to the schematics, would go to a "factory" amp and sub, I just can't find a adapter for that.

11. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    I'll go take a couple pictures and post them on here... Maybe I have the only Access Cab black faced JBL radio...

I sure hope its not, because if this is what a JBL sounds like, I would hate to hear the non JBL.

12. Jan 27, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    A7XTaco

A7XTaco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    Damn, figured it out!

Damn japs and their weird non standard color codes and choices of wire gauges!

So the front speakers are on one connector, they are like a 18 gauge wire. The rear speakers are on another connector and are like 16 gauge wire.

The power from the battery shares the connector with the front speakers, and its like a 22 gauge wire! The ground is on the rear speaker connector and its also around a 22 gauge wire!

Who would have thought they would run such a thin wire to power the radio...

WTF?

Anyhow so I don't have the JBL, and I don't have a external amp.

Thanks for the input everyone! Yall helped me figure out the obvious!

Correction: The ground wire is around 18 gauge, its brown, and on the same connector with the front speakers.

Products Discussed in

To Top