Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

Poll:Do you guys think that aftermarket "decks" are cool looking?

View Poll Results: Are aftermarket stereo decks ugly or cool looking?
They look cool and add function. 513 64.37%
Ehh, I guess they add function but look wierd. 215 26.98%
They are ugly and I would not have one. 69 8.66%
Voters: 797. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #42
outxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the roughoutxider is a jewel in the rough

Name: Sang
outxider's Tacoma Gallery
Pioneer Avic-Z2 DD w/ 2010 map updates, dvd bypass, bluetooth, ipod, dvd playback mated to alpine ktp-445 mini amp = badass sound and entertainment. I hated the stock deck and replaced it 2 weeks later w the z2. Double din units looks best in the Tacomas.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:42 PM   #43
XXXXL Member
darkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the sheddarkgreentaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

darkgreentaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter29 View Post
i prefer the double din. better sound, more options and often look cleaner then stock. i kinda wish i'd gone with a unit without the buttons on the side.

the DD look nicer, did i see that someone installed an Ipad in their dash the other day?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #44
gozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shedgozar is one of the sharper tools in the shed
gozar's Tacoma Gallery
A lot of aftermarket units look like they were designed by 14 year old guys in study hall some afternoon.

Too many buttons, blinking lights, pointless graphics. And why would I want blue / purple / lime green lighting in my dash that has low-key ergonomic lighting? Don't even get me started on the animated graphics that some of them have.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:50 AM   #45
calhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud ofcalhoun has much to be proud of

Name: JJ
calhoun's Tacoma Gallery
I like the double dins imo. i think they make the trucks look good. im probably about to go with a pioneer 4200 dvd. then going through and puting memphis amp and speakers in.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #46
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Old 03-06-2011, 08:08 AM   #47
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Wink

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaoccifer View Post
Just got a Pioneer Doubledin DVD on Amazon for $290 shipped.

AVH-P3200BT, so needless to say I am partial to aftermarket doubledin units.

[/QUOTE]

That is the only Double DIN I have seen and liked.....The recess makes all the difference even though it makes for a smaller screen. Which install kit did you use?
Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM   #48
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I think Function is better than looks in most cases but I think this kinda adds both. I'd get one if I cared about audio stuff
Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #49
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozar View Post
A lot of aftermarket units look like they were designed by 14 year old guys in study hall some afternoon.

Too many buttons, blinking lights, pointless graphics. And why would I want blue / purple / lime green lighting in my dash that has low-key ergonomic lighting? Don't even get me started on the animated graphics that some of them have.
x2, one very important feature for me was the ability to match the color of the HU to my other interior lights so it almost looks stock at night, but it definitely doesn't sound stock.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #50
Itsnevertoearlytostartbee fingupyourobituary
VanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanillaGorilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Erik
VanillaGorilla's Tacoma Gallery
I love the double dins, had them in my previous cars. Add function, look good, sets ur deck apart from other peoples stock set up
Old 03-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #51
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
I like my single DIN Kenwood. I ran a double DIN in my last car, kinda wish I would have kept it. However with buying a new HU for the Taco I wasn't spending that kind of money again for navigation I use maybe twice a year(and my portable GPS serves that purpose) and a DVD player that I never really got any practical use out of other than showing people I can play DVD's in my vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love double DINs, just couldn't justify spending that kind of money again. Especially since the only ones I really like are around $1k or more.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #53
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
I think with the technolog where it is now double din is the way to go. I hate the stock set up in mine. The display doens't even scroll all the info. If it would at least scroll I'd be happy with it. My wife's car 2011 Accord with nav is amazing. It shows all kind of info, even shows the next 3 up coming songs on the flash drive. And the back up camera is actually big enough to use. I would love to have a set up like hers, but dont want to fork out the $.

The down side is the fact that they are distracting though. There is too much distraction these days keeping eyes off the road.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:11 AM   #54
Rompin Around
lembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shedlembowski is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
lembowski's Tacoma Gallery
People that prefer stock or single dins have never had the pleasure of using an in-dash navigation. The one that came OEM in my Acure TL was amazing, and my Kenwood in my Tacoma is just as good function wise, wish it flowed a little better.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #55
dvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant futuredvdrdclf has a brilliant future
dvdrdclf's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post
I like my single DIN Kenwood. I ran a double DIN in my last car, kinda wish I would have kept it. However with buying a new HU for the Taco I wasn't spending that kind of money again for navigation I use maybe twice a year(and my portable GPS serves that purpose) and a DVD player that I never really got any practical use out of other than showing people I can play DVD's in my vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I love double DINs, just couldn't justify spending that kind of money again. Especially since the only ones I really like are around $1k or more.

I am thinking about this kenwood.... do you like the features of this unit? is it easy to use? is the sound night and day difference even when playing though the aux port? thanks
Old 03-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #56
98_mud_bug
98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed98_Mud_bug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

98_Mud_bug's Tacoma Gallery
this in mine, i changed the colors to almost match the factory colors perfectly, its the best double din i have found so far. I have had quite a few of them throughout my vehicles. this one accepts usb thumb drives, sd cards, Ipod's through the usb or regular cord has full ability to change colors, backgrounds, and all. I uploaded a pic of my girlfriend onto my background. That made it look alot better lol.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #57
Banned
Kingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingfrog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Submarines-Sonar Tech
Kingfrog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdrdclf View Post
I am thinking about this kenwood.... do you like the features of this unit? is it easy to use? is the sound night and day difference even when playing though the aux port? thanks
That looks like the the one I will likely get.... the KDC-X994

EDIT: Ordered x994 today with Metra SWI kit and Scoche single din dash kit harness Total $287 Amazon

$45 install nest week at local installer
Old 03-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #58
island taco is on a distinguished road
Name: Vince
island taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by btuner View Post
If you have one that you can adjust the lighting on it to be the same color as the car then I think it looks ok.
check out the JVC kdr900 and you can have as many colours as you want. I just picked one up yesterday with some pioneer speakers. just waiting on the tacotunes install kit.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:34 PM   #59
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
I just got my pioneer 5200hd installed today. Night and day difference in sound quality. Hd radio is also really really nice. I'm going to have to get used to the 500000x different ways of enhancing the sound quality though, there are tons of options and half of them make very little sense to me. I also don't know how to change the station on the deck haha I have to use the remote. The unit fits perfectly though and the USB and aux ports are great to have
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM   #60
acozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shedacozzens is one of the sharper tools in the shed

acozzens's Tacoma Gallery
FIRST thing I do in any new vehicle I get:
RIP OUT OEM EQUIPMENT.

I need OPTIONS....
Where are the WiFi Head Units with Pandora Built in ?? Cmon JVC..