1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Finally Building a Custom Box (Maybe)

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MedlinAround, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Jan 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM
    MedlinAround

MedlinAround [OP] Failure is the result of letting setbacks stop you

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD off-road edition Tacoma
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    Well started building a box for my double cab tonight and had to say it was one of the worst times i have had. Everything and i mean EVERYTHING that could go wrong, did. Before i start off i have to say i am a measure twice, cut once type of guy but not today.

Started out and took the plastic out of the back of the double cab. Finish building the box (Liquid nailed and screwed it), then started to put it in the cab. After i tried sticking the box into the back of the cab, the slit in the back of the box for the cross bar was barely not clearing. So we had to take the entire box apart and cut the slit a little wider. So after we finally got it all apart and glued back together we tried to sit it inside the cab the 2nd time.
    2079050f_cdf10fa763449ab99afc97d5b4ced5a75150442b.jpg

After the 2nd try the bottom of the box was hitting on a metal piece that stuck out holds the back seats down (Which neither one of us payed any attention to) Well 3 hours later, we decided to cut the box into 2 pieces and use it as 2 different boxes. In the process of doing this our jigsaw and reciprocating saw we used to cut it apart with, both messed up.
    ef6dc790_142ce053d97b86a5cf6f84aa978604259b505067.jpg

Well we finally got 2 separate boxes made but was wayyyyy to sick of even looking at the boxes to install them and wire them up. If you are going to build the box for a double cab, make SURE you measure absolutely everything imaginable and TAKE YOUR TIME!

Will try to get some more pictures when done.

2. Jan 30, 2011 at 6:09 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's, OME 885X Coils, Dakar HD Springs, Fox 2.0 Rear Shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Intake, OKledlight pods, Front Skid Plate, Weathertec Floor Liners, Custom Bed Rack, TRD Nation interior LED dome kit, 4X innovations sliders, DIY Roof Rack, Smittybilt RTT.
    After taking out the plastic behind the seats, i could kindof hear air coming threw my cab just a tad.. I didn't know if after i got the box in place, carpet put on, and seats set back to normal position, if that sound maybe would go away.

3. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:46 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sounds like your box was hitting the child seat anchors? Why didnt you cut them off? I just cut off the whole cross bar after cutting off the anchors. If you will cut the child seat anchors that crossbar has no function but to distribute force of the child seat anchors anyway. It gives back a ton of airspace.

Two different sized boxes running mono, sharing the same power is a recipe for disappointing sound.

My reccomendation... cut out the whole crossbar and all the spots where the factory plastic is held on (all those little metal tabs). Cover the entire back wall with vibation dampener. Reuse the outter shell of the plastic to trim around our box. Only keep enough metal tabs to hold those pieces.

You will thnk me later... makes building the box 100X easier.

Also... seal that vent in the back wall closed. Newer Tacomas come from the factory with it closed to stop noise. Id jus use the vibration dampner for that.

4. Jan 30, 2011 at 7:58 PM
    MedlinAround

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    Well i wanted to keep the tabs and everything just in case one day i need them or want to take the sub boxes out i could put the plastic back in. So i just built the box with a slit big enough to go over the anchors. As far as it fitting on the bottom of the cab it was hitting on the anchor pictured on the floor in the middle of the back seats, therefor i cut the box in half to split that.

Where can i get some vibration damner from besides online?

5. Jan 30, 2011 at 8:05 PM
    KAWAIANIANI

KAWAIANIANI Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    TRD BLACKED OUT
    Weather tech stone deflector, Craven speed stubby antennae,DTLT and rear O2 Sims, URD Y pipe, 40 series flowmaster w/ 3" piping. Urd maf calibrator, TRD supercharger, TRD CAI.
    Napa or any reputable stereo shop. I think even best buy sells some now.

6. Jan 31, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    supersuk

supersuk Well-Known Member

Member:
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dcab TRD Sport Magnetic Gray
    Sounds!
    Is the material you used particle board or mdf? Looks like particle board in the pic.

I had problems with vibration in the back until I bolted the subbox to oem bolt holes used for the plastic storage boxes. That solved all my vibration issues back there.

Products Discussed in

To Top