1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Amp to stock HU non-JBL Access Cab 2011

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Bamfs01, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Feb 3, 2011 at 10:15 PM
    Bamfs01

Bamfs01 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Gray TRD Offroad. Locker, ATrac, DAC
    Stock leaf pack with TSB AAL, Wheelers progressive 3 leaf AAL, and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. Front OME coilovers with 885 coils. Cab mount chop. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/37734-how-tire-rub-cab-mount-mod.html rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/68173-rcbs204-4x4-illuminated-switch.html JBL P963 6x9's and an MTX 10" sub wired inline to the stock HU with a MTX Jackhammer 404 amp. Rear diff breather relocation mod.
    Ok I didn't want to start a new thread but after hours of searching and researching without finding what I want I guess I'll have to.

2011 Access Cab, non-JBL. 6 disc in dash changer, xm radio. Awful front door speakers, crap ceiling rear's and weak rear sub. The sound is so bad they should be embarrassed.

I want to keep the stock non-JBL HU but all the speakers need to be replaced and I'll need 2 amps, one for the new speakers and one for the new sub. I'm leaving the ceiling satellite's for filler, I guess.

Questions:
    I'm assuming I'll need a line converter (?), how do I hook it up to the stock HU? Will it come with fairly straight forward instructions?

I'm assuming the stock HU doesn't have RCA's out, how will I wire my new amps into the stock HU/line converter?

Thanks in advance

2. Feb 4, 2011 at 1:38 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    If you want to run 2 external amps, you might as well replace your head unit. If you want to run two amps, you'll have to splice in 2 line output converters. This means you will have to run one of the converters for your sub and one of the converters for the rest of your speakers. If you do this, you lose control of front/rear fader. For all the money you will be spending on LOC's, you might as well get an inexpensive aftermarket headunit that has at least 2 RCA outs. Your sound will not only be cleaner, it will eliminate having to hack up factory wiring.

Another option would be to ditch the factory sub and only add in 1 amp with an aftermarket sub. You would be surprised at how different a system will sound with clean filtered bass. In this case, you would set your headunit eq to 0 on bass and turn your gain up on the amp. This way your door speakers arent trying to compensate for the lack of bass.

3. Feb 4, 2011 at 3:18 PM
    Bamfs01

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Stock leaf pack with TSB AAL, Wheelers progressive 3 leaf AAL, and Bilstein 5100's in the rear. Front OME coilovers with 885 coils. Cab mount chop. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/37734-how-tire-rub-cab-mount-mod.html rcbs204 4x4 Illuminated Switch. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/lighting/68173-rcbs204-4x4-illuminated-switch.html JBL P963 6x9's and an MTX 10" sub wired inline to the stock HU with a MTX Jackhammer 404 amp. Rear diff breather relocation mod.
    The reason I was wanting to keep the stock head unit was to keep the inside looking as stock as possible but this is some solid logic.

Maybe I'll try your advice on an aftermarket sub first and go from there.

The reason I was thinking about adding an amp for the speakers too was because i can talk over the stereo when the volume's maxed.

I really don't want to but signs are pointing to dumping all of it and starting from scratch.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

4. Feb 4, 2011 at 3:27 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    A lot of amps take speaker level inputs but you wouldn't necessarily need a line output converter to add an amp. Although that's easiest with just adding one amp for a sub or something. I definitely agree with swapping out the stock HU. Makes a world of difference with even stock speakers. I just have an aftermarket HU and an 8" JL sub and it sounds good enough for me.

5. Feb 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM
    Bamfs01

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes I bet the extra vew watts of power from an aftermarket HU would help prevent the stock speakers from clipping.

6. Feb 4, 2011 at 7:06 PM
    mikracer

mikracer Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB | TRD Sport 4x4
    A lot of newer amps have high level inputs which basically allows you to splice into a set of speaker wires to get the signal it needs and converts it internally. With this type of amp, you dont need a line output converter. What you do is get a set of RCA's and cut one end of the connectors off. You splice one set into the left speaker and one set into the right speaker. You then plug the RCA ends into the amp.

I did this with my 2003 M3 and it worked great. I used a newer JL Audio amp, but as I said before, a lot of newer amps have this built in. Going this route eliminates having to get the LOC or processor as the person above posted.

7. Feb 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    lopezoscar03

lopezoscar03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    Vehicle:
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    question about this. i understand everything you are saying about using a set of rca to the speakers. my question is that, if you get a 4-ch amp, would you run a one pair of rca to each speaker, making it 4 rca's for 4 speakers or would you run one set to the front( splitting right and left) and the same for the rear?

8. Feb 24, 2011 at 3:39 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    You could get a wiring harness that way you would only have to hack into about 5 wires instead of the 8 you will need to make the RCA plugs for the amp, I just installed new JL amp and doesn't care where the signal comes from as long as you tune it with a 1kHz wave and AC voltmeter.

9. Feb 24, 2011 at 5:59 AM
    lopezoscar03

lopezoscar03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    Vehicle:
    lopezoscar03@gmail.com
    what harness are we speaking of. i am a little lost here lol

10. Feb 24, 2011 at 7:21 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Nevermind about harness, I'm thinking ass backwards, but the harness is a metra part that would interface between the old wiring and the new wiring of a new head unit, using the existing it won't work for this project.

Products Discussed in

To Top