Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

How many watts can I safely apply?

Old 02-10-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
How many watts can I safely apply?

I have a set of kicker components rated at 75w RMS and will have the HPF set at 60 or 80hz. My question is how much power do you think I could safely apply over the 75w rating? I read anywhere from 75% to 125% of the rating should be applied to the speaker but wanted more opinions. Thanks
Old 02-10-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Hi-Tech Rednek
::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed::childstoy:: is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
::childstoy::'s Tacoma Gallery
Stop when they go pop...
Old 02-10-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
They should have a peak power rating. Personally I would just match that 75 watts.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
They should have a peak power rating. Personally I would just match that 75 watts.
^^^^^ yup. theyre gonna be plenty loud enough with the RMS power fed to them.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Come and take them.
bendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shedbendbolden is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
bendbolden's Tacoma Gallery
Well I agree with both of you. The only reason I am asking is I have an amp rated at 125 to each channel which is probably a stretch. It would save me from buying another amp but I know you have to pay to play.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM   #6
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bendbolden View Post
Well I agree with both of you. The only reason I am asking is I have an amp rated at 125 to each channel which is probably a stretch. It would save me from buying another amp but I know you have to pay to play.
Turn the gains down such that the amp does not go over the 75W max.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #7
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Agreed. If you have an amp that makes more power than you need that doesn't mean you have to use it all.

It's like saying I own a McLaren F1 (I don't) and I can't drive it on public roads because my car can go faster than the posted speed limit.