Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

NO DRILLING

Old 02-10-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
ELMOTM is on a distinguished road
ELMOTM's Tacoma Gallery
NO DRILLING

I have a stock stereo in my Taco with NO Aux plugs or anything. How do I get my MP3 player hooked up to it without drilling holes OR buying a new broadcaster? Are there plugs in the back for this option? It's too bad Toyota didn't put the MP3 jack into my stereo at the factory. When I bought it new, they said it's a $500.00 option. I said: No thanks!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:49 AM   #2
macgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shedmacgyver is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brad
macgyver's Tacoma Gallery
You will probably need to run an FM modulator.

They make two versions:

One that sends an FM signal over the air, the other plugs in between your antennae wire and the radio. The second option tends to have better sound, however is a little more expensive than the first.

Basically you tune your radio to any radio station, 88.5 FM for example, then FM modulator will play the music through that radio station.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #3
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
There are no plugs on the back of the stereo. You will need something like this http://www.gromaudio.com/store/aux_a...e_adapter.html. It is cheaper than their other AUX adapter because you can't upgrade this one for ipod use.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #4
ELMOTM's Tacoma Gallery
Broadcaster = FM modulator. And I would rather hard wire it in. So if anyone has any ideas about how to get the Aux working, please let me know. I have already read quite a few posts and not found anything.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
That product I posted does not broadcast anything. It uses a direct connection to the CD changer input.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
if you want to hard wire it you have to get an aux adapter. There are many on the market. USA Spec is a brand many tacoma owners have used. THere should be many threads about it on here and toyotanation.com. There is probably a DIY sticky about it.

The aux controller plugs into the aux input in the bakc of the factory stereo, and you access it via the cd button (the cd button will toggle between CD and aux. Its about $60 to $100 depending on the model.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
ELMOTM's Tacoma Gallery
Okay Whip and Nova, I now love you.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
novataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud ofnovataco has much to be proud of
novataco's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=104019

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=111143

FYI, the DF-TOY has been discontinued, but they have newer models now, i think with more features...

And whichever model you choose, this is a good place to stash it, next to the shifter under the shifter panel (which simply pops out). That way you can run your aux cord into the center console box, or drill a small hole on the bottom corner of the cubby hold below the climate controls. I ran two cords, one to each place.

One into my console vault, and one into the cubby hole (so I can charge and listen at the same time)

I drilled the hole in the bottom front right corner of the cubby hole so you cannot see the hole unless you stick your head down there.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMOTM View Post
Okay Whip. I now love you.
Awwww. Thanks. I hope that is no homo love.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #10
First Class White Trash
achirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shedachirdo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
achirdo's Tacoma Gallery
the grom audio one is great. i have it. it works right about 97% of the time. (it gets tempermental every month or so but will only last until u restart the truck a couple of times) it is a hard wire to the back of the radio. the only thing i dont like about it is the you have to change the song through the radio unless you jailbreak your ipod
Old 02-10-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Gadvan is on a distinguished road

Gadvan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
the grom audio one is great. i have it. it works right about 97% of the time. (it gets tempermental every month or so but will only last until u restart the truck a couple of times) it is a hard wire to the back of the radio. the only thing i dont like about it is the you have to change the song through the radio unless you jailbreak your ipod
Or downgrade ur iPod cable to the regular headphone jack style. I use to hav e that before for my droidx but now that iPhone I got that cable to play/charge
Old 02-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #13
Gadvan is on a distinguished road

Gadvan's Tacoma Gallery
I can change song on radio or my ipod
Old 02-10-2011, 12:34 PM   #14
Banned
If you want ipod control I suggest the Dice unit. I have the USA unit and it works great but you can choose songs with the Dice unit. I didn't think it did that so I didn't bother to take a look at it since it is more expensive.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've seen some people say they can't change songs on the radio, I'm wondering if they need to press the disc button 2x.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:27 PM   #16
ELMOTM's Tacoma Gallery
Well, I just bought a new laptop and would like to integrate it right into my truck, since I spend so much of my life in there travelling. Meaning getting it harnessed to my truck stereo or whatevers easier. I doubt I'll drill any holes but you never know. Thanks for all the info here people. Lots of options.

Just seen the power inverter tap thread. I was already thinking of doing that so I can plug in my laptop.