Notices

New Radio now Gauge lights go out when headlights go on

Old 09-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
cruziano is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard:
cruziano's Tacoma Gallery
New Radio now Gauge lights go out when headlights go on

Hello,

I am new to the forum. I recently a 2008 Access Cab, so nice. I just installed my new Alpine IDA-x100 in it with aftermarket speakers. Everything went well, until I realized that the dimmer knob didn't work for the gauges and the gauge lights went out when i turned on the headlights.
Everything else works: the dimmer works for the A/C lights, whether or not the headlights are on. The dash gauges are on when the lights are off, but i cannot adjust the dimmer. When I turn on the lights the dash gauges turn off, but the A/c lights turn on and can still be adjusted with the dimmer.

I did connect the three orange wires together.

What should i do?

Thanks,
Luis Garcia
Old 09-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
ILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shedILove2Drive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
ILove2Drive's Tacoma Gallery
Hey first off welcome to TW! And I don't know for sure if this will help you or not, but me and another member had a similar problem that we figured out.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...s-problem.html

Check out that thread and see if it helps any, if you have any other questions I can try to explain what I know. Good luck!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Coast Guard:
I disconnected all the orange wires and still works. However, now the speedometer gauge lights dont work at all. Everything else is still working fine.

Does anyone know what could be the problem???
Old 09-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
kwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shedkwalton is one of the sharper tools in the shed
kwalton's Tacoma Gallery
99% sure that you have fried your dimmer switch. the 3 orange wires in the adapter harness are for the illumination circuit and one of them is the dimmer ground. when you turned on your headlights you either popped a fuse of fried the dimmer switch.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i'd throw the stock unit back in and take it to the dealer and have them fix it for free
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Coast Guard:
Thats what i thought but the dimmer works for the AC lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwalton View Post
99% sure that you have fried your dimmer switch. the 3 orange wires in the adapter harness are for the illumination circuit and one of them is the dimmer ground. when you turned on your headlights you either popped a fuse of fried the dimmer switch.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM   #7
millerlight024 is on a distinguished road
millerlight024's Tacoma Gallery
Having the same issues Cruziano, however now my speedometer doesn't work at all, someone has to know whats going on here.

I also can't watch DVD's on my player, i tried wiring it different ways and nothing is working, any suggestions?