1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

'10 Taco Access Cab Audio Upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Tacobart, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Feb 15, 2011 at 6:34 AM
    Tacobart

Tacobart [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco Access Cab Sport
    This started out as a thank you note to Mr. Marv but as I wrote it, I realized I should share it with others. I've mostly completed an audio upgrade in my Taco. I wanted good sound. I did not want to rattle windows and wake sleeping babies on my street. I didn't want to cut or modify any original equipment or truck panels irreversibly. I think I got what I was looking for and am very happy! Pics shown below are of the sub enclosure since that was the most difficult piece of the puzzle, in my opinion. It replaces the rear console on 2010 and up Taco Access Cabs as a direct bolt-in replacement. So here is my slightly edited email to Mr. Marv...

I'm back from an extended 1600 mile road trip, part business and a bit of skiing thrown in. All that time on the road was a great shakedown test of the audio system. I was able to carpet and install the sub enclosure prior to leaving. Alpine PDX-F4 installed under the driver's seat, Alpine CDA-105 head unit up front with an iPod stashed in the dash. It sounds very good and super clean with the Image Dynamics components. Initial settings were rather bright (even with the silk tweets) but I was able to dial that down so they now sound great! Sound is very clear from the highs right through the mid bass on the components. The sub crossover is at 100 hz, which seems fine. The curve shows I can go lower to 80 hz but my ears tell me that this is a good setting. I'm driving the sub with the rear two channels of the amp, so it sees 200 watts bridged. It may be a bit underpowered but nothing too bad. I still need to turn the gain up a tad on the sub from where it currently is to get it dialed in perfectly. Now my sub setting on the head unit is up around 12 or 13 out of 15 but a bit of gain should correct that.

It's just what I was looking for. I wanted to say thank you to Mr. Marv for his time and advice and hard work. The 10" sub isn't going to rattle any windows most of the time but that's exactly what I was looking for - a good, solid fill in the low end to compliment and work with the components. All truck cabs are inherently noisy environments but I think the small amount of sound deadening around the mid bass speakers is about enough for me. It really does sound good, even at lower volumes. The music is making a statement to my ears, I'm not making a statement to the neighbors with my sub.

The correct sub enclosure makes all this work. Literally, I've been messing around for about three months trying to decide on the right configuration. One set of speakers? Two sets, no sub? Two sets and a sub? One set and sub? What amp to power it with? What fits? And the sub enclosure had to meet a strict set of criteria: NO PERMANENT MODS to the original interior (no cutting, etc.), SMALL, and COULD NOT INTERFERE WITH REAR AREA SEAT USAGE AND SEATBELTS. Mission Accomplished thanks to Mr. Marv and his recommendation for a 10" shallow mount sub.

Ballpark costs:

Image Dynamics CTX65CS with ABS plastic speaker rings from ********* were $200. Long story but Rob made the experience an excellent one. I have nothing bad to say at all about my experience - he jumped through hoops because the 2010 trucks can't use the normal old speaker rings. I got the first prototype rings for the 2010 / 2011 models and they fit beautifully!

Alpine PDX-F4 amp (4 channels at 100 watts RMS each) was $180 thru Amazon. Tiny footprint goes right under the driver's seat no problem.

Pioneer Shallow Mount 10" sub was $105 on eBay. Model TS-SW2501S4.

Custom Sub Enclosure built by Mr. Marv for $150 plus shipping. For anyone who doesn't know, he's a cabinet maker with a severe audio interest. His stuff is second to none.

Wiring, etc. is extra but the above costs represent the big ticket purchases. I carpeted the box myself. All I can say is it is passable but if I ever had to do a second one, it will be a much better job. All new wiring was run - the stock wire harness plugs remain intact and now unused. Easy to put back original equipment if I ever want to sell the truck.

Anyway, I'm tickled enough with the setup to pass it along. The sub enclosure takes up less space than the original console did!!! Now, lemme see if I can upload a couple of pix.

IMG_20110131_092007_877829559d8eefb9a7fc2a8d045f495ba316189f.jpg

IMG_20110131_115048_4ec14bde10743099fb3ba93f8fbe2af77cbed225.jpg

IMG_20110215_082756_240d3bc279fd83db4b83206a3639f6efd6f243a8.jpg

IMG_20110215_082803_725f761925a4fcb52a048a31e3f6b0e0681ae5a7.jpg

IMG_20110215_082830_b3fca0b97629d8862d13fa72fcc12295d35aedf6.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:08 AM
    whiteout

whiteout Active Member

Member:
    batonrouge,la
    TBA
    Looks good.I like those alpine pda amps.Small with lots of clean power.Whats the volume of the box?

3. Feb 15, 2011 at 7:16 AM
    Tacobart

Tacobart [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco Access Cab Sport
    0.45 cu. ft. Small but that's the published optimum air space volume for this sub. It has some sort of double diaphragm that eliminates the traditional spider mechanism in the sub. I can't tell you if it hits as hard as a traditional 10" sub since this is my first subwoofer. I can tell you that, for me, it puts out plenty. The truck mirrors (rear and side views) vibrate when the volume is up. Probably in part from the mid bass speakers but plenty from the sub itself. I can tell because I can fade the head units completely to the rear channel (there are no rear speakers) so all you hear is the sub.

4. Apr 20, 2011 at 11:11 AM
    DCtodave714

DCtodave714 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Huntinton Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
    so u put the amp inder the driver seat? i dont see any wires in that pic was it not hooked up or just well hidden.

5. Apr 25, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Tacobart

Tacobart [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco Access Cab Sport
    Yes, the amp is under the driver's seat. And, believe me, there was a MESS of wires. Due to integration with the Parrot bluetooth, I needed to have 5 relays added at the amp. So there are ton of wires here, as you would expect, they are just hidden away very neatly.

PS - a quick update on the system... I couldn't be happier. This shallow mount sub, the amp, and the speakers all just rock. Plain and simple. Plenty of deep bass and a great, clean sound. It is a really great solution if you don't want to sacrifice any space in your access cab, don't want to permanently modify anything, and want the best bang for your buck. We may disagree on speaker choice, but the amp and sub combo really shine. No regrets.

Products Discussed in

To Top