1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

all around head unit

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by malander, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Feb 20, 2011 at 2:18 PM
    malander

malander [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    I'm beginning to get tired of my stock set up and lately I've been thinking about getting a new head unit. I looked around and found the Kenwood Excelon kdc-794 which i very nearly bought. After a day of considering it, I went to purchase it and they were sold and and apparently discontinued. So I looked around at some comparable pioneer units that have some really cool features and stuff I'm just not sure I need all of it. I'm trying to keep it under 200 bucks including harnesses and dash kits. Here are a few things that I want in a head unit...

-looks clean.
    this is pretty important to me. I hate seeing silver and blue headunits when the interior is tan and black. It just looks half ass to me (no offense to anyone out there with a colorful set up)

-usb port on the face

-aux port on the face

-I would really prefer something with hd radio built in, but I will consider other options if need be

-big display but still a single din (a couple lines or so would be great)

Can anyone help me? I've searched around for days. head unit a has this and this but not that, head unit b has this and that but not that... it goes on and on.

Oh another thing, I would prefer a white or red backlit display, it kind of rides on the "it has to look clean thing"...its either neutral or it matches all the guages and interior lights.

thanks ya'll

2. Feb 20, 2011 at 2:24 PM
    liinxcore

liinxcore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamil
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    a lot of ppl swear by Alpine, though I personally enjoy my pioneer. My only gripe with the pioneer is the ipod aux module. It functions and everything, though it is soooooo slow when it comes to pulling up names on the ipod. I am not sure if this is the same with the alpine, but I have to say... the lag from the module makes me angry lol. BUT! the redeeming factor is definitely the fact you have complete control over the sound, which is probably the most important thing you can get from a deck.

Good luck with your search-

3. Feb 20, 2011 at 2:43 PM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    deck plate mod,jba cat back,bilstein 5100's,ome 883 springs, Allpro expos, allpro U-bolt flip kit, 10" Bilstien 5150 shocks, custom lower shock mounts
    thanks man, what unit do you have? I can still get the kenwood from Amazon, but I liked crutchfield because it comes with the rest of the stuff for the install. I don't know if i trust myself with finding dash kits and wiring harnesses by myself haha...im sort of electrically retarded

4. Feb 20, 2011 at 3:50 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    I've NEVER done a head unit install before doing the one in my 08 Tacoma. With the information on this board (and others) it's very easy. Lots of DYI info on how to do this.

If you stick with a single DIN unit you should be able to get a decent head unit, dash kit, and wiring harness and stay within your budget.

I got my dash kit on ebay for $20, and the wiring harness should run you less than $10 at Walmart. That will leave you around $170.00 for the radio.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Feb 20, 2011 at 4:58 PM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    My only concern is finding the right harness and dash kit to fit the hu I decide upon

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 20, 2011 at 5:11 PM
    swervin22

swervin22 "Obviously, You're not a Golfer..."

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonas
    Chesapeake
    Vehicle:
    2004 Radiant Red Access Cab Off Road
    I have the Kenwood stereo youre talking about and i love it! However, the USB and AUX jacks are both in the back. I preferred this, as I run my Ipod in the glove box, and drilled a hole in the pocket under the stereo for the aux plug so i can throw my phone in the mix too (for music). Anyhow, the stereo is super nice, has the display youre asking for, and makes the factory speakers sound 100 times better.

7. Feb 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    There's only 2 dash kits made. One textured to match the look of the factory radio, and one painted to match the other parts of the dash. You just have to decide which look you want.

The wiring harnesses are pretty much plug and play based on model year and manufacturer. The aftermarket HU pretty much have a standard color coding system for the wires. You just connect red to red, black to black, etc, then connect the two plugs of the harness.

8. Feb 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM
    samuelprz

samuelprz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    NoR CaL Modesto / Fresno
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Off-Road,
    New 2006 Taco (red) 8112 Front Bilstein Shocks Maxtrac Spindles Fox2.0 With Resis Rear All Pro Expo Leafpack RRW 18 Wheels w/ Toyo RT 33x12.50r18 LED Headlights Pioneer AVH 4201NEX Hybrid Audio Unity and Mirus ARC Audio 300.4 RIP 2006 Taco (silver)... you will be missed Eibach Coils Bilstein 5100s front Maxtrac Spindles SpiderTrax Wheel Spacers Bilstein 5100s rear*extended All Pro Expo Leafpack 6,000k HID's (Headlights and Fogs)
  9. Feb 27, 2011 at 8:14 PM
    malander

Member:
    First Name:
    max
    Vehicle:
    01 limited trd 4x4
    I've been looking at a pioneer 5200hd. It fits pretty much all of my requirements and I can get it for 130 including the harness and dash kit. Anyone have any experience with these? Or have any reason for me to not get it?

Products Discussed in

To Top