1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alpine Inaw900bt reverse camera

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by upwardpgv, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Mar 6, 2011 at 1:54 AM
    upwardpgv

upwardpgv [OP] Member

Member:
    Hello, New here so any help would be appreciated
    I am installing a w900bt and noticed that you have to tap into the reverse wire for backup camera. I read somewhere on here about a diode and switch workaround. I want to be able to use the camera at any time but also want it to display as soon as the truck is put into reverse.

I was wondering if anyone knew any part numbers to order and will this even work. Looking for a switch like my fog light switch to put in the blank space next to the other switches.
    Also need to know if there is some kind of diode that is encased, with a pigtail harness. I am really unsure what kind of diode im looking for. Switch needs to be on/off, not lighted.

2006 Tacoma Prerunner Double cab TRD.

Thanks to anyone who would be willing to help.

2. Mar 6, 2011 at 6:22 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    I'm kinda confused by the fog light switch?

On my head unit (Pioneer x920) and aftermarket camera, I ran the power lines all the way to the back of the head unit and tapped the switched 12v and ground there, then you hook one wire from the HU to the reverse wire, this tells the HU to bring up the camera. My HU lets me use the camera when I need by bringing up another screen to use camera whenever needed.

3. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    upwardpgv

upwardpgv [OP] Member

Member:
    Im really not sure what you mean. I want the camera to pop up on the screen when I put the truck in reverse, but also want to be able to view it anytime by selecting the camera on the hu. There is a diagram on the .net that shows how to do this with a diode and a switch, the fog switch idea was just to match the other switch in the truck.

Thanks for any info

4. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM
    Daudio

Daudio Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    He is saying that he can use his back up cam whenever he wants just by pressing a button on his head unit, the pioneers work that way. I'm not sure about the alpines as much but a switch and a diode sounds correct. Just follow the schematic that you saw, the diode is being used to not feed back into the reverse cam wire when the switch is on. should be really straight forward if you follow it correctly. I would have to looking at it to get it correct but I'm pretty sure you want cathode side towards the screen and anode side towards the switch.

5. Mar 6, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    upwardpgv

upwardpgv [OP] Member

Member:
    I gotcha, thanks. All my equipt. is on the way so I am not really sure If I have the Pioneer option, from what I read, I do not.
    If anyone could give me a part number of the type of diode I need it would be appreciated.

6. Mar 17, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    You don't need to add a switch and diode to get what you want. :)

Hook up the backup light wire (orange/white) of the HU to the truck's BU light circuit and the HU will display the BU camera when you are in reverse.

When the truck is not in reverse, you can switch the backup camera display on and off with the HU. See page 73 of the manual:
    http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500INAW90B.PDF

Products Discussed in

To Top