Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

how to build book? can i build bookshelve speakers with car speakers?

Old 03-06-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
elchimpo is on a distinguished road
Name: Gustavo
elchimpo's Tacoma Gallery
how to build book? can i build bookshelve speakers with car speakers?

how can i build bookshelf speakers with:
http://www.google.com/products/catal...&os=tech-specs

http://www.google.com/products/catal...&os=tech-specs
Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 AM   #2
TW's BAD MF'er Squad
Dirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirty5Thirty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Dean
Dirty5Thirty's Tacoma Gallery
I don't see why not? Depending on what type of receiver you have at home, they have the connections that individually connect the positive and negative. Well, so do car speakers.

I have a couple extra sets of car speakers laying around... I'm half tempted to give this a shot now! haha
Old 03-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #3
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Yes, it works as long as the impedence and power of the stereo match the speakers. I am using a set of 6x9's in some boxes I had in a past truck as rear l/r channel speakers. Granted, they are not a matched set with my mains, but they work fine for me.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
BadAss
KingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shedKingOfTacomas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
KingOfTacomas's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone done this and have any pics?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
Yes, it works as long as the impedence and power of the stereo match the speakers. I am using a set of 6x9's in some boxes I had in a past truck as rear l/r channel speakers. Granted, they are not a matched set with my mains, but they work fine for me.

^ this. Check whether the stereo and speakers are 4Ω, 8Ω, or something else. As long as they match you are good to go.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
You will likely need some baffle step correction to get any midbass. This is roughly a 6db rise in response from ~400hz down to say 80hz. You could model it into the enclosure requirements but you would have to have the EXACT TS parameters for the midbass driver to do that properly.

If your question was, "Can I throw this together and have it work?"....the answer is yes. Maybe not well but it will work.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Matt
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalynStylion View Post
You will likely need some baffle step correction to get any midbass. This is roughly a 6db rise in response from ~400hz down to say 80hz. You could model it into the enclosure requirements but you would have to have the EXACT TS parameters for the midbass driver to do that properly.

If your question was, "Can I throw this together and have it work?"....the answer is yes. Maybe not well but it will work.
To be fair, your idea of "working well", and another persons idea of working well are generally not the same.

There is a reason you dont have a $299 HTIB setup...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #8
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gabe
TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
I did this back in college.... I hate to admit it but it actually worked very well, and for a very long time.

I threw a set of Infinity Kappa 6-1/2" components on a 3/4" MDF baffle and glued that into the cheap wood boxes that came with my sub-$100 bookshelf CD changer (from the early-mid 90's), and didn't care about the impedence difference, and like many college kids, I didn't care what happened to it.

I don't have pics of it, but the speakers finally bit the dust when they had an "accident" in the moving truck and the speakers managed to become targets for the bed frame arrows that someone didn't secure down very well (honestly, not mine).
Old 03-12-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Hmmmm
TurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shedTurboGT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg43 View Post
To be fair, your idea of "working well", and another persons idea of working well are generally not the same.

I have a $349 HTIB now.... what are you saying??
Old 03-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #10
Sounds Gooooood
ItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shedItalynStylion is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
ItalynStylion's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Truth....I think my garage system is about that much
Old 03-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I have replaced woofers in home speakers with car stereo woofers. If I remember correctly you can use higher independence speakers but you cannot go lower. So 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp is ok but 4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm amp is not good for the amp.

Edit: Fixed.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:23 PM   #12
mattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmattg43 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboGT View Post

I have a $349 HTIB now.... what are you saying??

That you suck!! (I have a HTIB setup, though a bit more costly. So I am right there with you...)

But seriously - Steven = http://www.stereoclarity.com/

He builds $X,XXX stereo speakers.

Us mortals go over to his house to listen. Because our wives are mean, and wont let us have giant speakers.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #13
mattg43's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
I have replaced woofers in home speakers with car stereo woofers. If I remember correctly you can use lower independence speakers but you cannot go higher. So 4 ohm speakers on a 8 ohm amp is ok but 8 ohm speakers on a 4 ohm amp is not good for the amp.
Opposite.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Opposite.
Ah ok. I remember frying my home receiver at one point but I forgot what I did. I know car subs where involved.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #15
Ronn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to beholdRonn is a splendid one to behold
Name: Ron
Ronn's Tacoma Gallery
Why not buy yourself a set of entry level bookshelves for 150-200 bucks? They will sound better and probably look nicer unless you're really good at woodworking.

I know paradigm offers an entry level line called Cinema Series, they won't break the bank and sound alright too. Generally speaking most HT receivers can handle 6 - 16 ohm speakers, you'll have to check yours.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Hmmmm

TurboGT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
Ah ok. I remember frying my home receiver at one point but I forgot what I did. I know car subs where involved.
you probably followed your own (original) advice.... As Matt so kindly pointed out