1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Which gps hu to buy? so confused.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by upwardpgv, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Mar 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM
    upwardpgv

upwardpgv [OP] Member

Member:
    ok folks, I first want to say thanks for the info and sorry to bug the crap out of ya, but, I am having a very hard time picking out which unit to buy.
    I was going to get the alpine ina-w900, then I read about pioneer and kenwood, both have voice recognition. i dont think the alpine does. I just want to get a top of the line hu and cost on all of these seem to be around the same. The pioneer AVIC-Z120BT, Kenwood DNX-9960, or Alpine INA-W900BT. What do I buy? I am leaning on the Kenwood but wanting to get opinions, just want the best available. thanks

2. Mar 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM
    novataco

novataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NOLA
    Vehicle:
    06 Sport V6 auto
    Aries bull bar, Lund grill screen, blackened h/l, Weathertech plastic all over, Access LE tonneau, window tint, tube steps, DF-Toy aux adapter, cig plug always on, console vault, hitch step, 1700 watt in-cab inverter and dual battery (in-progress), Delta bike hitch mounts
    Kenwood has Garmin, so if GPS is high on your list of functions for an all-in-one, I would get that because its a proven major brand, and POI database is better, etc.

Sony has Tom Tom interface, but its only been out a year and the interface is so unrefined and glitchy that it absolutely sucks. I have one and wish I got the Kenwood.

3. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    stattonmw

stattonmw Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Statton
    Redmond, WA
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCLB Tacoma TRDsport
    5" RCD Lift TOYO ATII Extreame 295/70R18 XD Addict wheels Factory toyota side steps TRD exhaust
    I have a Kenwood DNX8120 and its the best head unit I have ever had. Built in nav, Blue tooth, and it all really easy to use... I would never buy anything else and have owned 3 different kenwood head units over the years and never had a problem.

4. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    I like the Alpine, but if I am honest with myself, the Kenwood is probably a better unit for your needs.

5. Mar 7, 2011 at 10:01 AM
    himmy33

himmy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 edition.
    I just purchased this the other day. http://www.crutchfield.com/s_113DNX6960/Kenwood-Excelon-DNX6960.html?tp=20212

I was in the same boat you were in. Kenwood in my opinion is the best. With Garmin based GPS and Parrot bluetooth its very hard to beat. I looked at the kenwood you posted and it is a step up from mine but after reviewing the two products in store I was completely unsatisified Kenwood DNX-9960. That model is much, much, MUCH, slower than the 6960 and the the only benifit I saw was a bit fancier user screen that you could slide your finger across to "scroll" through. In my opinion the little things you get extra with the 9960 do not overcome the unbelievable slow speed of the processor. This was the same veiw of the installer at the store I was comparing the two models. If I were you I would save your money and go with the 6960. Or if you are patient you can wait a couple months until Kenwood releases there new line of in dash GPS units. Good luck!!!:D

6. Mar 7, 2011 at 6:08 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the 9960 and would not have a 6960. Yes the main title screen has a 2 second lag to go into the first sub screen... then it works fairly quickly. The 6960 is not faster, its just the slide touch scroll menu screen of the 9960 takes up too much processing power. THey have the same processor.

Things I like about my 9960 that the 6960 lacks...

Stream music via bluetooth from my phone (Pandora, MP3s, etc)
    13 band EQ vs 5 band EQ
    Time allignment
    Larger, better screen.
    Extra inputs and USB connection
    Adjustable screen angle
    Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound
    DivX playback
    Among many others I am forgetting...

The new Kenwood Flagship will only add built in HD radio and Pandora control on screen. Not wirth hundreds of bucks extra for that IMO.

When they add lossless audio file compatability, DVD audio disk comaptability, 3D topogrphical mapping and satallite imagery... yeah I will upgrade.

7. Mar 7, 2011 at 9:30 PM
    himmy33

himmy33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794 edition.
    Well put. I didn't realize it had that many more features. For me the 6960 works just fine as I don't need the extra stuff but I can certainly see how other people might. As far as the 6969 being faster it just seemed faster all around when I played with them. That's why this is such a good place though. You can get insight on products from both viewpoints and I think DevL makes a very good argument. : )

8. Mar 7, 2011 at 10:23 PM
    upwardpgv

upwardpgv [OP] Member

Member:
    Your pretty lucky to have the 9960. It seems everyone is sold out, at least the companys I am dealing with. They are all waiting on the new 9980 to ship. Big bucks im sure, There is also a 6980 comming into play next week. I am told it will be a little less expensive. my budget is the $800 range. Internet prices are a joke, I usually ask to match a certain price and they always do, must be a huge markup on this stuff. I am dealing with Al-Eds online, they always come down on the price to match if you can find it cheaper, good people to deal with, so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top