Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Audio & Video

Notices

these Polk speakers any good?

Old 09-14-2008, 10:40 PM   #1
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beth
Lunercrab's Tacoma Gallery
these Polk speakers any good?

yeah so i just installed my kenwood dvd unit and i was looking for some speakers...crutchfield is having a buy one, get one 50% on polk speakers...i was looking at these here (i don't have alot to spend)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cOTy1lo...651S&s=0&cc=01

anyone know if there any good, i really want something better then stock, i have no amps or anything, just the kenwood HU 712 model....
Old 09-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #2
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Hey bud I posted this a while ago thought it might help. I was able to get the speakers new in the box off of ebay for $122.00 including shipping.

"I installed the Kenwood KDC-X492 deck with Kenwood KFC-6982ie 6X9 in front and KFC-1682ie 6.5's in the rear doors. I used the kit from Tacotunes and bought the baffles and deck from Crutchfield. Got the speakers new off ebay and did the whole upgrade for $411.00 It sounds good and I am impressed with the quality of the Kenwood gear, in the past I have been a Pioneer guy. The factory speakers are really poor quality however I must say that after pulling them out and looking at then I can't see how they sounded as good as they did. Anyway, just wanted to let you guys know that if you just want good sound you don't have to spend a fortune."
Old 09-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #3
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

here is the link from the speakers off of ebay: www.salectronics.com
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #4
nktrnl is on a distinguished road
nktrnl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacosport View Post
yeah so i just installed my kenwood dvd unit and i was looking for some speakers...crutchfield is having a buy one, get one 50% on polk speakers...i was looking at these here (i don't have alot to spend)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cOTy1lo...651S&s=0&cc=01

anyone know if there any good, i really want something better then stock, i have no amps or anything, just the kenwood HU 712 model....
I had these in my rear doors and have the component version in the front. They are defiantly better than stock, but I am in the process of upgrading, if that says anything. I have been searching for better sound quality lately, and they are not what Im looking for anymore. But before I started trying to improve the sound I was happy with them. I dont know how well they will do off of the power from the deck as Im running amps.

Are you planning on using these on both front and rear?
Old 09-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
AKA "06tacosport"
Lunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shedLunercrab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
here is the link from the speakers off of ebay: www.salectronics.com
That's funny. He's the guy I got my HU from on ebay. I dunno I was looking to get some speakers from crutchfield, only cause they will come with the adapters and the wires. So when I saw the BOGO 50% sale for the polks, I figured it was worth the extra money. Maybe I'm wrong, but according to crutchfield, just the adapters and wire cost bout 35 bucks each front and back.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #6

Yeah that is funny. As for using Crutchfield I love those guys, actually if you order the speakers from them they will come from my home town in Charlottesville, Va. where the outlet is located however I wanted to use the 6X9 in the front and the 6.5 in the rear so I bought the kit from Tacotunes and it came with everything anyway. As for as customer servise and all that well you can't beat Crutchfield.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:38 PM   #7
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's funny. He's the guy I got my HU from on ebay. I dunno I was looking to get some speakers from crutchfield, only cause they will come with the adapters and the wires. So when I saw the BOGO 50% sale for the polks, I figured it was worth the extra money. Maybe I'm wrong, but according to crutchfield, just the adapters and wire cost bout 35 bucks each front and back.
I've heard that the crutchfield speaker baffles are really terrible quality.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #8

No I have their baffles. I guess if you are expecting the plastic ones and due to not reading that the Crutchfield ones are foam you could feel that way. As for mine, they are exactly what I ordered and expected. As a matter of fact I heard that they guy that told you that was a dumb A$$! JK
Old 09-15-2008, 10:13 PM   #9
AKA "06tacosport"

ok so i'm looking at crutchfield and i'm alittle confused...when i click on "front door" local for speakers, i get bout 30 of em' available to purchase, 6.5 and 5 1/4...but when i select rear doors, there are only like a few to choose from and most of those are 5 1/4 size....now i thought that both the front and the rears can be 6.5 right?...and if i chose one of the 6.5 speakers they have listed for the front, can i get the same speakers for the back as well?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:13 PM   #10
nktrnl's Tacoma Gallery
Rear from the factory is 6.5. You should receive the proper adapters. Like I posted above, I had this set in my rear doors, (ordered from crutchfield too) and I got the proper adapters for front (6x9) and rear (6.5).
Old 09-16-2008, 10:32 AM   #11
Mr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shedMr Marv is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Marv
Mr Marv's Tacoma Gallery
These baffle/adapters made from thin plastic (or foam ) may be proper "fitting" but they definitely are not the proper "way" to mount your new speakers if you are actually looking to get the best performance from them and you can read a bit about why this is the case here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...udio-faqs.html

Old 09-16-2008, 04:17 PM   #12
TorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to beholdTorenApart is a splendid one to behold

TorenApart's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Marv View Post
These baffle/adapters made from thin plastic (or foam ) may be proper "fitting" but they definitely are not the proper "way" to mount your new speakers if you are actually looking to get the best performance from them and you can read a bit about why this is the case here:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...udio-faqs.html

Mr. Marv knows his stuff... take his advice if you can and you'll be more satisfied than you would have thought possible.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:49 PM   #13
AKA "06tacosport"

ok sorry to be such a pain, but crutchfield is driving me nuts...they are still telling me that regular 6.5s won't fit the rear doors and they are giving me like either really cheap speakers or very expensive speakers to choose from...they said anything other then those would stick out too much for the door panel...is that true???

the only ones they offer under 150.00 is these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KFC1361&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KFC1660&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...GT1625A&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3GTC652&tp=105

now i'm not sure how the component speakers work...i mean where would i even mount the tweeters the come with them?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:55 PM   #14

The reason they are telling you that they will not fit is because they do not stock or sell the adapters for them. They only stock the ones for 6.5 in front and 5.5 in the rear. If you want to see what you can get to fit check out http://www.tacotunes.com and you can see what you can get. I bought the kit from them and got my speakers from ebay.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:06 PM   #15
AKA "06tacosport"

yeah i guess it's looking like i'm gunna have to wait n save up some money for a better setup then i was planning on getting from crutchfield....is tacotunes the only place i can get these special mounts?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #16
nktrnl's Tacoma Gallery
Get some mounts from this guy: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/members/mr-marv.html Ive heard nothing but good things. I dont really see the problem with the speakers. I did have to trim some of the plastic off of the the door panel, right behind the speaker grill, but nothing you can see when the panel is on. I dont think depth is too much of an issus either as my IDmax is pretty deep.
If you really just want generic mounts for 6.5 rear speakers, I sell you the set that crutchfield gave me for $5 + shipping. If you are interested in the polk coax that you posted about above I have those too, but was sort of planning on throwing them in my wifes car later.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 AM   #17
Tacomojo is on a distinguished road
Tacomojo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
ok sorry to be such a pain, but crutchfield is driving me nuts...they are still telling me that regular 6.5s won't fit the rear doors and they are giving me like either really cheap speakers or very expensive speakers to choose from...they said anything other then those would stick out too much for the door panel...is that true???

the only ones they offer under 150.00 is these:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KFC1361&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...KFC1660&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...GT1625A&tp=105

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...3GTC652&tp=105

now i'm not sure how the component speakers work...i mean where would i even mount the tweeters the come with them?
My Crutchfield advisor said the $79/pr., Pioneer TSA1672R, 6 1/2" speakers would work in the rear if I added a 1/4" spacer to keep the door panel off the speaker. Well, I got these speakers (for the front and rear), along with the free mounting adapters, and did a test fit. Guess what? No added spacer was needed - the speakers went in fine with no clearance issues whatsoever. I'm tellin' ya' the TSA1672R's DO fit!

Oh, they sound just fine, too.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #18
AKA "06tacosport"

quick question...would i be better off getting say 6x9's for the front instead of 6.5's?...i would think 6x9s would sound better...
Old 09-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #19

I have the 6X9's in mine with the 6.5's in back and it sounds great! If you don't you will regret it..
Old 09-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #20
AKA "06tacosport"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
I have the 6X9's in mine with the 6.5's in back and it sounds great! If you don't you will regret it..
yeah i'm figuring on getting 6x9s...so many opinions out there...alot of people say the 6.5s sound better and have better base... and some people say to spend more money on better fronts and just forget the rears...

hey did anyone ever buy off this site? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

most of the speakers i was looking at on crutchfield are almost 40 bucks cheaper here....