1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

The Scosche vs Metra dash kit question answered!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Silentknight11b, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Mar 16, 2011 at 8:14 AM
    Silentknight11b

Silentknight11b [OP] Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2011 Doublecab TRD Sport 4x2
    TRD exhaust, PIAA bulbs, AFE drop in, N-FAB stepbars, more to come.....
    In short- they both suck. I finally got to install my new Alpine head unit this weekend (those issues are in a totally different thread) and I started off with the Metra kit. I was a happy lil camper- the color and texture matched nicely and off I went on my install. There ends the fun friends and neighbors. The hazard button and clock module was not even CLOSE to fitting. The button could not even move it was so jammed by the kit and the other end of the clock module was way off. I spent abuot 40 minutes slowly trimming the inside of the panel to allow the hazard button to move anf the other end of the module to FIT into the panel. Nice- finally got it to fit. Unti lI turned the panel over- now it all fit but there was visible BLACK plastic where the kit had to be "trimmed." By now I was well and thoroughly pi$$ed. I called the dreaded Best Buy to see IF they had a Scosche kit in stock. I figured- I am at bottom, only one way to go... Never tempt Father Fate. I picked up the Scosche kit fo rthe low low bargain basement Best Buy price of $54!!! But I walked out with it in hand and ready to go into the truck. In the morning - the rest of the night was now reserved for killing in Halo Reach. Next morning, after MUCH covering of the Scosche kit with adhesive where the support brackets would rub on the kit's pocket, then built up rubber "footies" to help support the back of the head unit the whole kit went into the dash. I still have not figured out why a company would mold in a pocket to store things and have 2 small holes in it perfect for small itmes to disappear into the dash to rattle forever, but hey0 this went so well why bother with logic now. Anyways- in as far as MY OPINION runs. Get the Schosche and modify the crap out of it- the color does ot match ther air panel coverd completely but you don't have black showing through. Snag the Scosche kit- from Amazon where it is like 20 bones- I am heading back to Best Buy to see if I can at least get some sunggle time after what they did to me with $54 for the kit. But it IS in. Now if I can just get the new head unit to SOUND good......

Ok- Starbucks time, I am too grumpy this morning even for ME to deal with!

2. Mar 16, 2011 at 8:30 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Seems to be pretty random on fitting or not, which kind of makes me wonder if it is all a Metra/Scosche fit issue, or Toyota parts being slightly different?

I had a Scosche single din kit in my truck when I got it, and it fit great. It is not in my buddys truck, and I have a Metra in the garage (did not like the texture/color, and a few gaps around the deck) and a Scosche in the truck, and both had perfect fit, with no rubbing, on the clock/hazard button...

Sorry about the $54 bucks - my local BB did not have one, or I would be in the same place.

3. Mar 16, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    bookmonke

bookmonke Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC PreRunner Rugged Trail
    Just buy another off ebay or Amazon and take it back to bestbuy and recover some of the cost.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Mar 17, 2011 at 5:21 PM
    TacoJJ

TacoJJ Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Blacked out front grill,tinted windows,Crazy Sound-system, Fog-Light Mod, Smoked Tail lights, De-badged except for "Tacoma" emblems, which are blacked out, WeatherTech floormats and a shorter antenna..........for now.
    I use Metra dash kits and harnesses exclusively and have never had any problems. Sorry about your experience.

5. Mar 18, 2011 at 7:28 AM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    This wouldn't be a bad idea....

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Mar 18, 2011 at 3:35 PM
    Rocketball

Rocketball If The World Didn't Suck, We'd All Fall Off

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Westminster, MD
    Vehicle:
    08 Speedway Blue DC Sport 4x4
    Pioneer head unit, PAC steering wheel control modual, Hard wired Sirius radio, Hard wired radar detector, Hella Supertone horns, Blacked out badges, Smoked Tails, BHLM (color matched Speedway Blue), T-Rex Eyelids, Black Powder Coated Billet Grill, Color Matched Engine Cover, Lund in channel vent visors, FJ Cruiser wheels, Leer 100XQ shell, OEM bed mat, Piezo beeper for locking doors, Tinted front side windows, Black Westin bull bar, Aires tube steps, Mini Maglite Mod, D-Cell Maglite Mod, Weathertech Digifit Floor Mats
    Line the inside of the storage cubbie with peal and stick black felt. It looks great, covers the two little holes you described, and keeps things from rattling. One sheet will do it and it costs less than $2.

Products Discussed in

To Top